WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I can relate. I am 5 months into using my Pixel. Longest stints have been Lumia 810, 640 and Nexus 5. I have cycled lots of devices on the spare line.
Wow, it sounds like you hit the spot with the Pixel. I see why, it's a great phone.

Sent from mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?! R

LOL!
I will take your word for it. For a bit, I thought that my answer is the iPhone.
I'll admit that I am a little bit exhausted by the phone trials but at the same time, I want what I want or at least the closest I can get.

Sent from mTalk
99 will tell you I very rarely compromised on battery life and compromised on camera a ton. It was the G4 that on Android that had me starting to value the cameras more (I always preferred Lumia cams anyways).

I still prefer my phones as productivity and communication tools, which is why if the Key One has a solid camera I'd pick it over a G6.

At the end of the day, I can trade away an awesome camera, expandable storage, compact big screen design, water resistance and Qi (in the G6) or monthly security updates and a killer QWERTY keyboard (Key One) for weekly beta updates, solid enough camera, good battery life and good internals (Mi Note 2).

It's just knowing that which is important to you...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?! R

99 will tell you I very rarely compromised on battery life and compromised on camera a ton. It was the G4 that on Android that had me starting to value the cameras more (I always preferred Lumia cams anyways).

I still prefer my phones as productivity and communication tools, which is why if the Key One has a solid camera I'd pick it over a G6.

At the end of the day, I can trade away an awesome camera, expandable storage, compact big screen design, water resistance and Qi (in the G6) or monthly security updates and a killer QWERTY keyboard (Key One) for weekly beta updates, solid enough camera, good battery life and good internals (Mi Note 2).

It's just knowing that which is important to you...

I can believe that you didn't compromise on that. Yeah the KeyOne seems to be really interesting, so I get why you would say that. I can get that because in your case, it makes sense.

You're right about what is important to me. For me, I can agree with you on the battery life and solid camera. I just didn't realize how much I care about size and battery life together (at least for phones that I will use as a phone anyway).

Since I already have the X Performance, I think I'll try out for the weekend, and then probably return it on Tuesday because I want to see how a work day goes for me. I'm curious about these differences that 99 mentioned before.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

It sounds like the KEYone has a fantastic camera. I'm really excited to see more reviews come out on this device. I'm a huge BlackBerry fan though but haven't really loved their entrants into the Android market. This one seems to hit a lot of the bright spots. Sounds like great battery life, good enough processor and that keyboarrrrrrd! Can't wait.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I've been going through my vinyl collection. I've discovered vinyl I didn't remember buying and in some cases never played in almost 30 years.
732c8c0c5469e820b752a5b179acd388.jpg

7a3944fe8bebddeaccc1020dc24bd7d4.jpg

6b7f892cfda7871170986f8f7dba000a.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If I were to sell that Dogs D'amour EP that's a Japanese import it would be worth money since the obi is still intact.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That's 5 hours I can't get back, I'm done with Sony. The X Performance had serious issues with colors, especially skin colors. All of my phones, even the Lumia 650 did a better job. I quit it. I partially regret wasting my time but now I know. Everything else was okay though.

Luckily, I didn't spend much time setting up things at all. The sim is back into my Pixel, bring it on iPhone 7! lol

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's 5 hours I can't get back, I'm done with Sony. The X Performance had serious issues with colors, especially skin colors. All of my phones, even the Lumia 650 did a better job. I quit it. I partially regret wasting my time but now I know. Everything else was okay though.
Sorry to hear that happen to you...

...but I'm not surprised. It wasn't a well received phone for a lot of reasons.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sorry to hear that happen to you...

...but I'm not surprised. It wasn't a well received phone for a lot of reasons.

Thank you but sometimes I have to try. I just need to stop trying with Sony. Hopefully some OEM who is not Sony would make nice smaller phones at some point this year.*

You are right though. It's crazy how much software can make a difference with the same hardware.

*=More like phones that I can actually buy unlike the Huawei Nova, and Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. :straight:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you but sometimes I have to try. I just need to stop trying with Sony. Hopefully some OEM who is not Sony would make nice smaller phones at some point this year.*

You are right though. It's crazy how much software can make a difference with the same hardware.

*=More like phones that I can actually buy unlike the Huawei Nova, and Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. :straight:
Well, you had to try...

Smaller phones are a dying breed. Personally, it's why it boils down to your usage. For instance, if I bought a Pixel and was using that I think I could get decent battery life for two reasons. One is that I don't keep much apps on it and two I'd invest in a smaller battery pack to give me some burst charging if needed. The industry has decided it is currently better to recharge your battery faster than to force a bigger cell into a slim phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well, you had to try...

Smaller phones are a dying breed. Personally, it's why it boils down to your usage. For instance, if I bought a Pixel and was using that I think I could get decent battery life for two reasons. One is that I don't keep much apps on it and two I'd invest in a smaller battery pack to give me some burst charging if needed. The industry has decided it is currently better to recharge your battery faster than to force a bigger cell into a slim phone.

Sadly, you're right.

I have thought of a battery pack but the whole thing with USB-C is a mess and it scares me, especially after reading this when it was originally published: USB-C needs to get smarter before it gets better [Updated] | Android Central Looking at the comments now though, it seems like I'll have to choose right.

Oh, why not many apps? Is it because of the storage?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sadly, you're right.

I have thought of a battery pack but the whole thing with USB-C is a mess and it scares me, especially after reading this when it was originally published: USB-C needs to get smarter before it gets better [Updated] | Android Central Looking at the comments now though, it seems like I'll have to choose right.

Oh, why not many apps? Is it because of the storage?
This means that you've got to make sure you use a Google approved USB-C cable and one of the battery packs that stick closer to the standard, that's all. Cost analysis may say it is cheaper to find this out than to buy phones itself looking for the fit you want that way...but that's up to you.

As I mentioned earlier, my phone is a productivity device. So outside of music during my commute and the occasional food picture, I use to to make and receive calls and manage my days. I don't game alot on it. In fact, I offload my heavier media consumption​ to my tablet. Plus, when you're a social worker, you are more likely spending time dealing with clients in front of you that being on YouTube casually.

So I get good battery life because when I push my phone, it gets through the day no issues...and when my usage is moderate, I easily get two days. The days of me using my phone for heavy media consumption died when I bought the tablet.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There was a Google engineer who went around and tested a ton of USB-C cables back in the day. The ones I use were approved by him. Even though I never owned a Pixel or 5X/6P, I picked up two of those approved cables and that's what I use on all my USB-C devices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

This means that you've got to make sure you use a Google approved USB-C cable and one of the battery packs that stick closer to the standard, that's all. Cost analysis may say it is cheaper to find this out than to buy phones itself looking for the fit you want that way...but that's up to you.

As I mentioned earlier, my phone is a productivity device. So outside of music during my commute and the occasional food picture, I use to to make and receive calls and manage my days. I don't game alot on it. In fact, I offload my heavier media consumption​ to my tablet. Plus, when you're a social worker, you are more likely spending time dealing with clients in front of you that being on YouTube casually.

So I get good battery life because when I push my phone, it gets through the day no issues...and when my usage is moderate, I easily get two days. The days of me using my phone for heavy media consumption died when I bought the tablet.

That's true. I have some digging to do. I'll see how it goes with the iPhone 7 (when it comes to the cameras, that is and iOS 10 in general; something seems to have changed with how the iPhone pictures appear in comparison to the 6s/SE). If I'm not pleased, I'll see what I can find because that would be way cheaper than any phone xd

Ooh okay, I see. That makes sense for you and your life. I read a lot and do the social media thing (not Facebook, Snapchat or Messenger though).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

There was a Google engineer who went around and tested a ton of USB-C cables back in the day. The ones I use were approved by him. Even though I never owned a Pixel or 5X/6P, I picked up two of those approved cables and that's what I use on all my USB-C devices.

I think I recall that list. I have one of those cables, but I can't remember if that company has a battery pack or not. It's been solid for me. I'll poke around and maybe add some to my wishlist.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I recall that list. I have one of those cables, but I can't remember if that company has a battery pack or not. It's been solid for me. I'll poke around and maybe add some to my wishlist.
You can look to see what the big boys like Aukey and Anker are up to. I'd try a slim pack like a 3000mah because those are cheaper and if they don't work it's not a big loss. Plus you don't strike me as the type unless necessary to lug around a 20000mah battery pack...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You can look to see what the big boys like Aukey and Anker are up to. I'd try a slim pack like a 3000mah because those are cheaper and if they don't work it's not a big loss. Plus you don't strike me as the type unless necessary to lug around a 20000mah battery pack...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out! Ha, yep you're right. I like to carry as little as I can in the day to day.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Benson Leung, he posted his results on his Google+ blog. I have a TechMatte brand cable and it works well, it was on the recommended list. I haven't used any factory cables yet. I have two more cables that have the correct rating as well but I like the TechMatte one better for some reason.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

That's true. I have some digging to do. I'll see how it goes with the iPhone 7 (when it comes to the cameras, that is and iOS 10 in general; something seems to have changed with how the iPhone pictures appear in comparison to the 6s/SE). If I'm not pleased, I'll see what I can find because that would be way cheaper than any phone xd

Ooh okay, I see. That makes sense for you and your life. I read a lot and do the social media thing (not Facebook, Snapchat or Messenger though).
iPhone 7 is a nice device, just stale like the OS at this point. Nothing to write home about, the 7+ at least has dual cameras. I have my third appointment at the local fruit stand today and am hoping that they swap out the device since it's still under warranty. I have to do the leg work since I am the tech support person in the house 😀

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo