WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think I jinxed myself.

I tried a download and it didn't really stutter BUT then I did another download and it was slower. It seems like sometimes it is fast and other times, it isn't. What is the deal with iPhones?! How do you have the same radios and yet there's still variance?

I tried it again and it seemed faster on LTE but slow on weak work WiFi.
Some fruit are good ripe, some fruit rot faster than others and some fruit are expensive for no reason...
The feeling of being so close to what's next?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Say what you want Apple fans but Microsoft is definitely churning out some great devices and even their ads are better than the fruit stand from Cupertino these days.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Is your model with the Intel modem instead of Qualcomm?
I have had that issue happen with iPhones before.

I have no idea how to tell. Google is not helping me. Based on what I'm seeing, it might be Intel. This has me curious though, considering that they bought it in October and there was no sim free model at the time.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have no idea how to tell. Google is not helping me. Based on what I'm seeing, it might be Intel. This has me curious though, considering that they bought it in October and there was no sim free model at the time.
What carrier was the phone tied to prior to getting unlocked?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The iPhone 7 is nice but it's not amazing. I don't see the difference between apps that people talk about for Android and iOS.

Is it crazy that I would rather try the battery pack thing with the Pixel?

Also my dBrand has arrived so maybe that has a hand in this too.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 7 is nice but it's not amazing. I don't see the difference between apps that people talk about for Android and iOS.

Is it crazy that I would rather try the battery pack thing with the Pixel?

Also my dBrand has arrived so maybe that has a hand in this too.

Why do you want a battery pack?
I consistently get 3.5 hours SoT after 15 hours of usage off charger with terrible signal at work thrown in on my Pixel. That to me is pretty decent battery life.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You know, this isn't a knock against libra, but it is very important for people to be clear and realistic on the features they want. Battery life and camera means different things for different people. For instance, some people when they say "hey, I want a great camera", they want a great point and shoot camera - that means iPhone, Pixel and S8 (to some degree). Someone else might say "I want a great camera" and they mean with manual controls - that means V20, G6, Mate 9, P9/P9+, S8 (to some degree), 1020, 950/950XL. Different needs, same phrase.

Battery life is the same too. Because people's mileage varies, everyone wants great battery life but won't ever get it because battery tech isn't where it needs to be. It is still very solid, but not great.

Tech companies ALWAYS sell us stuff to trigger emotion, which opens up our wallets as gadgets are supposed to be personal items. If you know what you want and are OK with certain compromises, you'll always find what you want. The two worst bugs to be bit by are the "I'm waiting for the next best thing to come out around the corner" or "that other one over there looks better than mine, so let me get that".

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Why do you want a battery pack?
I consistently get 3.5 hours SoT after 15 hours of usage off charger with terrible signal at work thrown in on my Pixel. That to me is pretty decent battery life.

You're right about that. It's good but I miss charging every other day. That's asking for a lot, I know but I had it with the Honor 8 and the iPhone SE.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You know, this isn't a knock against libra, but it is very important for people to be clear and realistic on the features they want. Battery life and camera means different things for different people. For instance, some people when they say "hey, I want a great camera", they want a great point and shoot camera - that means iPhone, Pixel and S8 (to some degree). Someone else might say "I want a great camera" and they mean with manual controls - that means V20, G6, Mate 9, P9/P9+, S8 (to some degree), 1020, 950/950XL. Different needs, same phrase.

Battery life is the same too. Because people's mileage varies, everyone wants great battery life but won't ever get it because battery tech isn't where it needs to be. It is still very solid, but not great.

Tech companies ALWAYS sell us stuff to trigger emotion, which opens up our wallets as gadgets are supposed to be personal items. If you know what you want and are OK with certain compromises, you'll always find what you want. The two worst bugs to be bit by are the "I'm waiting for the next best thing to come out around the corner" or "that other one over there looks better than mine, so let me get that".

You're absolutely right.

My brother made a comment saying that it seems like I'm never satisfied since I keep going through all of these phones. He wasn't saying that to be mean, it was just an observation, so I'm not offended by your comment. The latter bug that you mentioned has been the story of my life for almost a year now. It's not really about the next shiny but more so about trying to find the phone that works the best IN the size I want.

I will spare you (and everyone else of my entire "recent" phone history) but really the last time I was the most content with a phone was when I bought my SE. I broke out of that one simply because I missed being able to customize my phone, but otherwise, still one of my favorite phones ever. In a similar way, the Pixel is there too, even though the battery life is lesser than the SE (in my opinion), but still up there. The Honor 8 was there too but the tallness and always thinking about if it will fall out of my pockets and/or fit them got old.

Customization aside, the SE is the only phone that mutes my brain wanting more but then I have been spoiled by the Pixel's great radios. For me, it comes down to deciding which one I would value more in the day to day. Whoops, this is longer than I thought it would be.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're absolutely right.

My brother made a comment saying that it seems like I'm never satisfied since I keep going through all of these phones. He wasn't saying that to be mean, it was just an observation, so I'm not offended by your comment. The latter bug that you mentioned has been the story of my life for almost a year now. It's not really about the next shiny but more so about trying to find the phone that works the best IN the size I want.

I will spare you (and everyone else of my entire "recent" phone history) but really the last time I was the most content with a phone was when I bought my SE. I broke out of that one simply because I missed being able to customize my phone, but otherwise, still one of my favorite phones ever. In a similar way, the Pixel is there too, even though the battery life is lesser than the SE (in my opinion), but still up there. The Honor 8 was there too but the tallness and always thinking about if it will fall out of my pockets and/or fit them got old.

Customization aside, the SE is the only phone that mutes my brain wanting more but then I have been spoiled by the Pixel's great radios.
If it's merely about the phones, it's about your compromises. For instance, I really like the G6. For me, it has wireless charging, water resistance, a camera I really like, big screen in a compact design, micro SD and LG has been doing a decent job with updating their flagships software wise. Would I get one? Yes. It checks all my boxes...in a vacuum.

Bigger picture. I'd have to sell the Honor 8 at the time to get it. My Honor 8 would lose value, meaning I'd have to pay more money in the difference. With all the stuff I have going on, there's no guarantee I could do that later in the year...might as well I sell my Honor 8 and go to the XL as the daily driver. But I got an offer for a Mi Note 2 at a price where at the time I'd pay a more manageable difference in cost and get some very good features...maybe 85% of what I'd get on the G6 for a $250 savings. So I got the Mi Note 2. In this scenario, while I like the G6 more, based on my situation, the Mi Note 2 gives me more value currently and maybe going forward. And the Mi Note 2's shortcomings aren't enough to have me race out there to get a G6.

This is where I was able to satisfy my itch in a way that it was the best fit and it didn't leave me in the lurch. So that's why I'm good.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

If it's merely about the phones, it's about your compromises. For instance, I really like the G6. For me, it has wireless charging, water resistance, a camera I really like, big screen in a compact design, micro SD and LG has been doing a decent job with updating their flagships software wise. Would I get one? Yes. It checks all my boxes...in a vacuum.

Bigger picture. I'd have to sell the Honor 8 at the time to get it. My Honor 8 would lose value, meaning I'd have to pay more money in the difference. With all the stuff I have going on, there's no guarantee I could do that later in the year...might as well I sell my Honor 8 and go to the XL as the daily driver. But I got an offer for a Mi Note 2 at a price where at the time I'd pay a more manageable difference in cost and get some very good features...maybe 85% of what I'd get on the G6 for a $250 savings. So I got the Mi Note 2. In this scenario, while I like the G6 more, based on my situation, the Mi Note 2 gives me more value currently and maybe going forward. And the Mi Note 2's shortcomings aren't enough to have me race out there to get a G6.

This is where I was able to satisfy my itch in a way that it was the best fit and it didn't leave me in the lurch. So that's why I'm good.

Ooh okay, I see what you're saying. That makes a lot of sense actually. You got most of what you wanted in a phone for a deal, which is awesome.

I'll have to think about that but for now, I'm done (with the buying and trying of phones) for a bit. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You're right about that. It's good but I miss charging every other day. That's asking for a lot, I know but I had it with the Honor 8 and the iPhone SE.
Technically you can charge every other day, say at 36 hours instead of 48 😁

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss