WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

There's so much to say here... I'd probably only end up offending a lot of people...

I'll put it this way... cherry picking, strict adherence and 'tradition' are 99% of the problem when it comes to religions. All religions.
Traditions are meant to be both respected and changed. There is a fine line and most times, people go overboard either in changing traditions or reinforcing them. This is especially the case whenever religious beliefs and practices are involved.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Traditions are meant to be both respected and changed. There is a fine line and most times, people go overboard either in changing traditions or reinforcing them. This is especially the case whenever religious beliefs and practices are involved.

Yep. Tradition is usually the driving force behind certain ideas. It's the reason why some religions still exist over the actual religion itself.

Take Roman Catholics, Jews or Church of England. Lots don't follow their 'faith' and sometimes don't believe in them but practice it's traditions regardless. The pull is usually out of respect for the elders and the past.

It's a continuous cycle of one passing on ideas from one generation to another. Typically to the easily convinced young brain.

(offence notice)... It's like passing on a very bad disease from generation to generation.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Tradition is usually the driving force behind certain ideas. It's the reason why some religions still exist over the actual religion itself.

Take Roman Catholics, Jews or Church of England. Lots don't follow their 'faith' and sometimes don't believe in them but practice it's traditions regardless. The pull is usually out of respect for the elders and the past.

It's a continuous cycle of one passing on ideas from one generation to another. Typically to the easily convinced young brain.

(offence notice)... It's like passing on a very bad disease from generation to generation.
Racism gets passed along in a similar vein.

The question is in a time where the millennials are starting to take over from the "golden generation" (baby boomers) as the driving force behind culture, how do we maintain balance? Lots of folks are very focused on either merely clinging to traditions or blowing them up without truly beneficial replacements...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Racism gets passed along in a similar vein.

The question is in a time where the millennials are starting to take over from the "golden generation" (baby boomers) as the driving force behind culture, how do we maintain balance? Lots of folks are very focused on either merely clinging to traditions or blowing them up without truly beneficial replacements...

Agreed about racism, it is taught rather than inherited like some people believe. Yes, there is an innate evolutionary trait of being wary of those who are different but that is easily sidelined by diversity, it's all in our brains really.

Truth is every generation creates it's own traditions. Some will backtrack to their parents traditions, others will continue with the flow of new and different. Change is inevitable in a ever changing world. Problem really comes when those who resist change, typically the older generations and still hold the reins of power because of the old adage that 'older equals wiser'. Which we all know is a folly. There are many old people who are flat out stupid.

Of course there's also the 'identity' crisis happening currently with both young and old alike. Not sure if that's happening in the US but here in Europe it's a big thing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't want to upgrade my car unit by replacing the whole thing but I see one that is installed behind the unit and compatible with my car that is a teenager (by its age). Debating if I should just go with that unit since I want Bluetooth in my car (I don't have an aux either so Bluetooth will do). The comments say that it's easy to install but I am so nervous about breaking something.

I should just dish out the money to pay for this unit, but I'm kind of tempted to try out a a cheaper cigarette lighter option with a wire. Probably not going to do it immediately, but it is something I would like to get help with since I enjoy Spotify Premium, and I use it most days. I do also like to listen to podcasts too for longer drives.

I need to get my dress taken care of first, which I plan to do tomorrow. Anyone else here have/had a car that is older without Bluetooth and/or an Aux port?
I really like my car and since I got it with low mileage considering the age, it will be with me for at least 5 years, knock on wood.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

There's so much to say here... I'd probably only end up offending a lot of people...

I'll put it this way... cherry picking, strict adherence and 'tradition' are 99% of the problem when it comes to religions. All religions.

You won't offend me if that's what you're worried about. I like disscussing.

Well I would somewhat disagree on that one. Most of the attackers were born and raised in Europe, it was not the immigrants who commited assaults. At least up until now, I know very little about the most recent attacks.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I don't want to upgrade my car unit by replacing the whole thing but I see one that is installed behind the unit and compatible with my car that is a teenager (by its age). Debating if I should just go with that unit since I want Bluetooth in my car (I don't have an aux either so Bluetooth will do). The comments say that it's easy to install but I am so nervous about breaking something.

I should just dish out the money to pay for this unit, but I'm kind of tempted to try out a a cheaper cigarette lighter option with a wire. Probably not going to do it immediately, but it is something I would like to get help with since I enjoy Spotify Premium, and I use it most days. I do also like to listen to podcasts too for longer drives.

I need to get my dress taken care of first, which I plan to do tomorrow. Anyone else here have/had a car that is older without Bluetooth and/or an Aux port?
I really like my car and since I got it with low mileage considering the age, it will be with me for at least 5 years, knock on wood.

I've seen radio-like device, whatever they're called, that have Bluetooth bulit in. I'll try to find them and link them here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You won't offend me if that's what you're worried about. I like disscussing.

Well I would somewhat disagree on that one. Most of the attackers were born and raised in Europe, it was not the immigrants who commited assaults. At least up until now, I know very little about the most recent attacks.

I didn't say anything about immigrants. Also you should read the follow up conversation between MIA and me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My old BMW had AUX where I used a USB Bluetooth dongle. It was OK but nothing great.

I installed a new stereo head unit (that's what they're called) in my Citroen. It's got digital radio, bluetooth, AUX and USB port.

I'd go with a new head unit with integrated bluetooth. You simply don't get the same control or volume out of AUX. Especially if you have steering wheel controls like I do.

Most new head units are easy to install. The main thing comes down to your model of car and what type of stereo is currently in it. If it's a factory specific stereo, like most newer models, then it's a complete PITA to install. If it's an older car with a DIN standard then they're fairly easy to install.

What car do you have and what stereo are you looking into?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I've seen radio-like device, whatever they're called, that have Bluetooth bulit in. I'll try to find them and link them here.

Hmm, I have seen some too. They seem to be very nice but wires. Also my lighter port is like tucked inside a storage compartment. Both are actually, which I like, because it looks nicer but it makes something like this possibly a pain.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Agreed about racism, it is taught rather than inherited like some people believe. Yes, there is an innate evolutionary trait of being wary of those who are different but that is easily sidelined by diversity, it's all in our brains really.

To add to this. It's well known that homo sapiens and Neanderthals interbred. Also Denisovans and possibly others. So obviously prejudice isn't innate as it seems and we're quite adapt at bypassing our fears.

We 'humans' are more mixed breed than we like to think....

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Now while I don't know the tradition of Southern Africa, Arabian peninsula and the Mesopotamia area (didn't know what else to call it), I strongly doubt that it encourages people to stab each other just for fun, or blow themselves to take other's lifes as well. Highly unlikely.

What I believe to be an actual problem is a lack of parenthood. I'm not just spitting this out, I'm saying this from my own experience and from what I've witnessed. Kids and teenagers who had irresponsible and 'mild' parents, parents who approved everything, always defended their kids and never really cared what they do - those kids got into some serious troubles. It wasn't the tradition that got them to extreme, but a lack of religious knowledge, and any knowledge at all. They were simply manipulated.

This is how it works, at least here. There are fairly small groups that have divided themselves from the official Islamic community, and they have their own mosques and institutions. What they also got is money, which they use very cleverly. Volkswagen Sharan isn't called the wahabi car for nothing. They use their money, influence, a bit of psychology and aim weak personalities. They have a strong bond inside the community, it's like a cult, which it practically is.

Those new recruits are used for such evenents. Every one of these groups has a highly educated leader that is even more respected hailed.

The point? It's not all tradition. It's mostly manipulating. The guy who attacked US embassy in Sarajevo is a clear example. Was a lunatic back then, now he's pretty much rehabilitated and realises what a fool he was.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I didn't say anything about immigrants. Also you should read the follow up conversation between MIA and me.

I have, didn't see it in time. I get it all that you're guys saying, but the missing piece is what the heck are they trying to accomplish? No seriously, what? What's the end goal of taking 30 innocent lifes? It's beyond me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My old BMW had AUX where I used a USB Bluetooth dongle. It was OK but nothing great.

I installed a new stereo head unit (that's what they're called) in my Citroen. It's got digital radio, bluetooth, AUX and USB port.

I'd go with a new head unit with integrated bluetooth. You simply don't get the same control or volume out of AUX. Especially if you have steering wheel controls like I do.

Most new head units are easy to install. The main thing comes down to your model of car and what type of stereo is currently in it. If it's a factory specific stereo, like most newer models, then it's a complete PITA to install. If it's an older car with a DIN standard then they're fairly easy to install.

What car do you have and what stereo are you looking into?

Hmm that is good to know.

Ah, that's the name! Thanks. Your unit sounds very nice actually. I would have never known that. Yeah, like you, I have steering wheel controls for volume, mode (Fm, am, cd) and a up and down.

Now you have given me something to consider, thank you. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry Solara. I don't know the standard or anything of it, I just know it is the one that was manufactured with the car originally.

I'll like one with Bluetooth and AUX and a CD player too (for some of the ones I have that aren't available on Spotify). It would be nice if I can answer and make calls with it, but that's not required. I have no idea about brands or anything, sad to say.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Now while I don't know the tradition of Southern Africa, Arabian peninsula and the Mesopotamia area (didn't know what else to call it), I strongly doubt that it encourages people to stab each other just for fun, or blow themselves to take other's lifes as well. Highly unlikely.

What I believe to be an actual problem is a lack of parenthood. I'm not just spitting this out, I'm saying this from my own experience and from what I've witnessed. Kids and teenagers who had irresponsible and 'mild' parents, parents who approved everything, always defended their kids and never really cared what they do - those kids got into some serious troubles. It wasn't the tradition that got them to extreme, but a lack of religious knowledge, and any knowledge at all. They were simply manipulated.

This is how it works, at least here. There are fairly small groups that have divided themselves from the official Islamic community, and they have their own mosques and institutions. What they also got is money, which they use very cleverly. Volkswagen Sharan isn't called the wahabi car for nothing. They use their money, influence, a bit of psychology and aim weak personalities. They have a strong bond inside the community, it's like a cult, which it practically is.

Those new recruits are used for such evenents. Every one of these groups has a highly educated leader that is even more respected hailed.

The point? It's not all tradition. It's mostly manipulating. The guy who attacked US embassy in Sarajevo is a clear example. Was a lunatic back then, now he's pretty much rehabilitated and realises what a fool he was.

That's simply brainwashing or whatever you wish to call it, like a cult. To me religions are just bigger cults... Sorry.

Yes, parenting has gone downhill a lot. Just ask any teacher or instructor at a school. Lots of parents think their kids are special and entitled.

Also, Islam isn't the only one with this type of issue. It may be in the news more but there are 'terrorists' from all faiths. They all use similar methods of indoctrination.

At the heart of it though is what I said, cheery picking, strict adherence and tradition. When I say tradition I don't necessarily mean the 'local' traditions but what people come to think of as 'religious traditions'.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Hmm that is good to know.

Ah, that's the name! Thanks. Your unit sounds very nice actually. I would have never known that. Yeah, like you, I have steering wheel controls for volume, mode (Fm, am, cd) and a up and down.

Now you have given me something to consider, thank you. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry Solara. I don't know the standard or anything of it, I just know it is the one that was manufactured with the car originally.

I'll like one with Bluetooth and AUX and a CD player too (for some of the ones I have that aren't available on Spotify). It would be nice if I can answer and make calls with it, but that's not required. I have no idea about brands or anything, sad to say.

I should have mentioned that I have CD player (never us it) and a microphone for taking calls.

Going by the pictures I could find online, it appears yours is an integrated system. Which means I'd probably get someone to do it. Unless your interior is different than what I saw.

The best thing to do is to find a brand you like. Find the one that has all the things you want, including steering wheel controls (though that's pretty standard these days). Basically the install will consist of replacing the existing unit. It will require a new fascia, most installers will have them for different cars. It will require two harnesses, one for the unit and the other for the steering controls. Depending on if you get digital radio, that will require an new antenna and if you get a mic that will require placement.

I bought a Kenwood and I'm quite happy with it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
That's simply brainwashing or whatever you wish to call it, like a cult. To me religions are just bigger cults... Sorry.

Yes, parenting has gone downhill a lot. Just ask any teacher or instructor at a school. Lots of parents think their kids are special and entitled.

Also, Islam isn't the only one with this type of issue. It may be in the news more but there are 'terrorists' from all faiths. They all use similar methods.

At the heart of it though is what I said, cheery picking, strict adherence and tradition. When I say tradition I don't necessarily mean the 'local' traditions but what people come to think of as 'religious traditions'.

Yup, brainwashing, that's the term I was looking for. And that's really how it goes. The saddest part is that there's none, or very little guidance, instructions or any kind of official statement from these religious leaders.

While they are alike, you can't call them the same. The religion and the cult. There are distinctive marks of cults, such as leader they believe is godlike (alive one), close connection betwen members, and not so large groups. At least that's what's sociology says and what I was taught.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss