WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

While they are alike, you can't call them the same. The religion and the cult. There are distinctive marks of cults, such as leader they believe is godlike (alive one), close connection between members, and not so large groups. At least that's what's sociology says and what I was taught.

Religion - dead god like leader (if leader even existed)
Cult - alive god like leader

Not much difference really.... only time and size. Lots of cults grow into religions... see my point?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I should have mentioned that I have CD player (never us it) and a microphone for taking calls.

Going by the pictures I could find online, it appears yours is an integrated system. Which means I'd probably get someone to do it. Unless your interior is different than what I saw.

The best thing to do is to find a brand you like. Find the one that has all the things you want, including steering wheel controls (though that's pretty standard these days). Basically the install will consist of replacing the existing unit. It will require a new fascia, most installers will have them for different cars. It will require two harnesses, one for the unit and the other for the steering controls. Depending on if you get digital radio, that will require an new antenna and if you get a mic that will require placement.

I bought a Kenwood and I'm quite happy with it.

I searched it and this is the closest one, but only mine doesn't have a cassette player, only a CD player. http://image.cpsimg.com/sites/carparts-mc/assets/roadtests/toyotasolara/images/dash-md.jpg

Hmm, I'll look into it, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with this. Since your unit has those things, that gives me hope that I can find it. I have heard of Kenwood and Pioneer but I really need to look into it. My dad knows some people that can do this for sure, it's just a matter of me deciding on the brand.

I know this would cost probably, if not just the installation, the unit and installation so I'll probably do this when I get a handle on the phone stuff for a bit, which will hopefully happen soon for me. I'm down to my last 2 choices.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

The interior is all decked out and super nice...
But for one major flaw... the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.
LOL

... !!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm debating if I should just keep this iPhone 7 I just got, just because I already have a smart battery case.

If I was to return it for a 6s, I would still have to buy a battery case, which is still $99 somehow.

At the same time, keeping the 7 means I'll need to get a dongle and the lighting headphones.
That would be cheaper though. I'll see how this week goes. Currently testing it without said battery case to see if this battery life can kind of come close to the SE or not. It's been hard to find a solid battery comparison, aside from this one, which the SE is still better than both phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcTPHaLwDg

Puny screen with low resolution - ergo solid battery life.
I am just amazed how I manage to squeeze out 5 hours SOT on my Pixel at qHD resolution!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't want to upgrade my car unit by replacing the whole thing but I see one that is installed behind the unit and compatible with my car that is a teenager (by its age). Debating if I should just go with that unit since I want Bluetooth in my car (I don't have an aux either so Bluetooth will do). The comments say that it's easy to install but I am so nervous about breaking something.

I should just dish out the money to pay for this unit, but I'm kind of tempted to try out a a cheaper cigarette lighter option with a wire. Probably not going to do it immediately, but it is something I would like to get help with since I enjoy Spotify Premium, and I use it most days. I do also like to listen to podcasts too for longer drives.

I need to get my dress taken care of first, which I plan to do tomorrow. Anyone else here have/had a car that is older without Bluetooth and/or an Aux port?
I really like my car and since I got it with low mileage considering the age, it will be with me for at least 5 years, knock on wood.

Get a new head unit. The prices while still high have come down from the exorbitant highway robbery range from about 5 years ago. I saw one in my friend's old Infiniti G30 - it's an awesome unit and every bit the upgrade.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Puny screen with low resolution - ergo solid battery life.
I am just amazed how I manage to squeeze out 5 hours SOT on my Pixel at qHD resolution!

That's a fair point. I would prefer that though, but I think I'm tired.

The iPhone 7 isn't bad but I'm not even close to wowed. It's just okay. The radios are solid though. Not Pixel solid but close enough.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Get a new head unit. The prices while still high have come down from the exorbitant highway robbery range from about 5 years ago. I saw one in my friend's old Infiniti G30 - it's an awesome unit and every bit the upgrade.

Nice! I think I will consider that in a bit. I'm hoping I can find one that goes with the interior. My car has a silver/gray interior. A black one would just bother me, hopefully I can find something.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yep. Tradition is usually the driving force behind certain ideas. It's the reason why some religions still exist over the actual religion itself.

Take Roman Catholics, Jews or Church of England. Lots don't follow their 'faith' and sometimes don't believe in them but practice it's traditions regardless. The pull is usually out of respect for the elders and the past.

It's a continuous cycle of one passing on ideas from one generation to another. Typically to the easily convinced young brain.

(offence notice)... It's like passing on a very bad disease from generation to generation.
https://youtu.be/TI0_oLQWXvQ

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So, where are those exciting contests James has been talking about? I'm in a mood to win something :D.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

If you can find these, get them. You won't regret trying them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170605_225212.jpg
    IMG_20170605_225212.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 24

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Agreed about racism, it is taught rather than inherited like some people believe. Yes, there is an innate evolutionary trait of being wary of those who are different but that is easily sidelined by diversity, it's all in our brains really.

Truth is every generation creates it's own traditions. Some will backtrack to their parents traditions, others will continue with the flow of new and different. Change is inevitable in a ever changing world. Problem really comes when those who resist change, typically the older generations and still hold the reins of power because of the old adage that 'older equals wiser'. Which we all know is a folly. There are many old people who are flat out stupid.

Of course there's also the 'identity' crisis happening currently with both young and old alike. Not sure if that's happening in the US but here in Europe it's a big thing.
Yes, in these shifting sands lots of identities are under siege from change. Some old people are holding onto what they know because on some levels "it's a young man's game" and some young people are fighting for the same opportunity their elders had to form their own identities in their own process.

Both sets of things are similar and clash simultaneously. Biggest problem is, nothing happens in a vacuum anymore as the planet and all the human realities in it are THAT much more interconnected than before.

Good times indeed...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Day 2 of the iPhone 7 was good.

Downloads aren't as fast as they were on the Pixel but they were still fast enough. I didn't do my regular usage as much today but I think it should work out just fine for me. It sucks to buy a dongle and lightning earpods BUT that's cheaper than a battery case.
Speaking of battery, it's been okay. I'm possibly considering keeping it. It seems to hit the spot for the most part. I'm spoiled by the OIS in the back camera too.

I'll see how this week plays out, now if I can only find a screen protector from a Dollar Tree...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You misunderstood me. Here's what I believe a cult is, and what I've been taught on my Sociology classes.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-religion-and-a-cult

I'm having a hard time not laughing at that link... sigh... being an atheist brings about all sorts of humour that others sometimes don't see.

So to start, yes I agree with the 'list' as it is. I understood you well and I do know what our current view on cults are. If you can find a way to watch Leah Remini: Scientology, you'll see all the traits of a cult as we know them. It's a very good series, highly recommend it.

The point that person made about 'legitimate religion' made me laugh though. His cute dig at atheists was typical as well. Apparently we 'just don't understand the differences'...

My point was historical perspective. I can't say that 'every' religion was a cult as such, though it's probably very likely as religion tended to be inclusive in the past. Most people had religion 'forced' on them as other religions gained power.

Christianity basically started as a cult. As it grew it targeted women and children to join while the men were away working. They tried to convince the women to join then get them to get their men to join. The men typically chased the Christians away if they found out. Sounds very much like a cult, no?

I don't know enough about Islam or the Jewish religion but what little I do know they seem to come about in similar fashions. (on a side note could you imagine being the first person to be circumcised? Talk about cult practices...) Then once these religions gain power, they typically enforce their beliefs. I doubt any cult would act differently.

It's very easy to differentiate religion and cult these days because we see them in a modern day context. From a historical context they are very similar. Why did Christian, Islam and Jewish religions thrive and others got left behind? We need to understand there has always been competing ideologies at the same time. Was it simply because they became political? That's my guess but I don't know for certain. I won't go with the concept of which one is 'true'.

That's all my point was. I know some humanities subjects like to tread lightly with subjects like religion, some however are taking a bit more scientific stance these days and I can see it start to trickle into those other humanities over time. In my view religion should be treated like any other subject and all that goes with it.

However, religions really don't like that, but science, which is what research is, shouldn't care.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

My mum got an email this morning informing her that Skype on WP8.1 will no longer work from July 1st. So now I'm upgrading her 640 XL to W10M. I'm kind of reluctant based on my previous experiences. But the main reason is that Lumia devices - outside of the 550, 650 and 950/XL - run better on WP8.1. Now I'm aware that anecdotally the WP8.1 Lumias have improved performance on W10M post-CU so I'll just have to wait and see.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My mum got an email this morning informing her that Skype on WP8.1 will no longer work from July 1st. So now I'm upgrading her 640 XL to W10M. I'm kind of reluctant based on my previous experiences. But the main reason is that Lumia devices - outside of the 550, 650 and 950/XL - run better on WP8.1. Now I'm aware that anecdotally the WP8.1 Lumias have improved performance on W10M post-CU so I'll just have to wait and see.

You are correct. Good luck with this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12