WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Wow, I was super late this morning because I was trying to fit what I need for the dress adjustments after work in my car. I was like "ughh I'm really late". Come to find out, the rest of my coworkers in my section were also coming in the same time! That made me laugh this morning.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

My mum got an email this morning informing her that Skype on WP8.1 will no longer work from July 1st. So now I'm upgrading her 640 XL to W10M. I'm kind of reluctant based on my previous experiences. But the main reason is that Lumia devices - outside of the 550, 650 and 950/XL - run better on WP8.1. Now I'm aware that anecdotally the WP8.1 Lumias have improved performance on W10M post-CU so I'll just have to wait and see.

FWIW, my daughter has a 640 and it's been on W10 for a while. From what I've used it, it seems to run as well it did on WP8.1. On certain things, it surprises the heck out of me... in a good way. Wish I had picked up more when they were going for $30 unlocked.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Nice! I think I will consider that in a bit. I'm hoping I can find one that goes with the interior. My car has a silver/gray interior. A black one would just bother me, hopefully I can find something.

Finding silver may prove difficult. They appear to be 'marine' grade.

This is more or less the one I have (the closest I could find on Amazon in US)

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3675664

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'm having a hard time not laughing at that link... sigh... being an atheist brings about all sorts of humour that others sometimes don't see.

So to start, yes I agree with the 'list' as it is. I understood you well and I do know what our current view on cults are. If you can find a way to watch Leah Remini: Scientology, you'll see all the traits of a cult as we know them. It's a very good series, highly recommend it.

The point that person made about 'legitimate religion' made me laugh though. His cute dig at atheists was typical as well. Apparently we 'just don't understand the differences'...

My point was historical perspective. I can't say that 'every' religion was a cult as such, though it's probably very likely as religion tended to be inclusive in the past. Most people had religion 'forced' on them as other religions gained power.

Christianity basically started as a cult. As it grew it targeted women and children to join while the men were away working. They tried to convince the women to join then get them to get their men to join. The men typically chased the Christians away if they found out. Sounds very much like a cult, no?

I don't know enough about Islam or the Jewish religion but what little I do know they seem to come about in similar fashions. (on a side note could you imagine being the first person to be circumcised? Talk about cult practices...) Then once these religions gain power, they typically enforce their beliefs. I doubt any cult would act differently.

It's very easy to differentiate religion and cult these days because we see them in a modern day context. From a historical context they are very similar. Why did Christian, Islam and Jewish religions thrive and others got left behind? We need to understand there has always been competing ideologies at the same time. Was it simply because they became political? That's my guess but I don't know for certain. I won't go with the concept of which one is 'true'.

That's all my point was. I know some humanities subjects like to tread lightly with subjects like religion, some however are taking a bit more scientific stance these days and I can see it start to trickle into those other humanities over time. In my view religion should be treated like any other subject and all that goes with it.

However, religions really don't like that, but science, which is what research is, shouldn't care.

Islam didn't really start as a cult, since there was no similar teaching to go apart from. There were Christians, Jews and pagans. So it's beginnings are a bit different.

As far as recruitment goes, the Quran says no force to the religion is allowed. Which means you're not allowed to force someone into Islam, ever. It's strictly voluntarily. Have every country or empire respected this, definitely not every and in every case. It'd be silly to claim such. But I'm refering to the ideology.

As far as the political part, I'd mostly agree with you on that one.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

My mum got an email this morning informing her that Skype on WP8.1 will no longer work from July 1st. So now I'm upgrading her 640 XL to W10M. I'm kind of reluctant based on my previous experiences. But the main reason is that Lumia devices - outside of the 550, 650 and 950/XL - run better on WP8.1. Now I'm aware that anecdotally the WP8.1 Lumias have improved performance on W10M post-CU so I'll just have to wait and see.

Used Lumia 640 on the Fast Ring of the Insider Preview, in most cases it worked just fine. It'll definitely work better now since there's 4 months apart since I last used it, and it was an unstable fast ring build.

Bottom line, it's never going to be as smooth as 8.1, but it's going to be decent enough. Considering your mum doesn't depend much on Edge. In that case, I feel sorry for her.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So what are your thoughts on this new CShell thing? Mine are that it's not going to change a thing. And if MS reboots it's mobile OS once again, I'm not even going to discuss it anymore.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Islam didn't really start as a cult, since there was no similar teaching to go apart from. There were Christians, Jews and pagans. So it's beginnings are a bit different.

As far as recruitment goes, the Quran says no force to the religion is allowed. Which means you're not allowed to force someone into Islam, ever. It's strictly voluntarily. Have every country or empire respected this, definitely not every and in every case. It'd be silly to claim such. But I'm refering to the ideology.

As far as the political part, I'd mostly agree with you on that one.

Ideology and reality are often at odds with each other. That goes for both religion and politics.

I don't know enough to comment on Islam. From what little I know some of it seems like a copy over from the other two (Christian and Jewish) with some extra stuff thrown in. Since it's technically a Abrahamic Religion. The other bit I've heard (not sure if true) is that it was created to build unity and structure within the army at the time. (if you think about it, it makes sense) The Quran, like all religious books, should be seen as corrupted, as far as I'm concerned as it's been modified to suit whoever was in power.

From what I've heard from some scholars is that studying Islam objectively is difficult due to some of it's teachings and it's followers. I think some Muslims fear Islam becoming watered down like Christianity. Of course, like Christianity, there's many flavours of Islam... so it's already there in a way. You have many variations, from the extreme to the more relaxed.

Such is religion. I have hopes, though not in my life time, that one day these religions will fade and become the myths of tomorrow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That one is very nice, thank you for sharing. Ah, that's a bummer about the color thing. I'll add this to my wishlist.

One of the things that can be done is getting a black insert so it looks bigger which will make it look more part of the overall look of the car. Properly done it won't look too out of place.

After market car stereos are sort of on the way out simply due to car manufacturers putting in good stereos in new cars. Of course, there will always be a higher end market for these things but I have noticed a reduction in choice lately.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So what are your thoughts on this new CShell thing? Mine are that it's not going to change a thing. And if MS reboots it's mobile OS once again, I'm not even going to discuss it anymore.

There are a few people who believe smartphones are on the verge of being obsolete and there are 'better' things coming. I'm yet to figure out what that is but all I hear is - W10 on ARM! CShell! Andromeda! Bots!

I'm not against MS in any way. Nor am I against future tech. However, to suggest smartphones and apps are 'old' tech is completely ridiculous. A smartphone is the most personal piece of tech we currently have. That's not going to change any time soon. It does pretty much what we need for portable computing.

I don't personally see anything MS brings to the market changing the market share mindset that's currently out there. I'm not saying they can't I just don't see what they can do. Not everything is 'website' based and those things that are, don't necessarily have the best interfaces or features.

So unless MS gets developers on board, I just don't see things changing much. You can bring out the best piece of tech but if no one buys it (or few) all you have is a niche product. If they're ok with that then fine. If they want more than that then they really need to re-imagine what they're doing. Because currently MS with regards to mobile appears to be one revamp after another. Most consumers won't put up with that. Hell, even enterprises are not happy about that kind of thing. No one wants to be a constant BETA tester, unless that your job.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Ideology and reality are often at odds with each other. That goes for both religion and politics.

I don't know enough to comment on Islam. From what little I know some of it seems like a copy over from the other two (Christian and Jewish) with some extra stuff thrown in. Since it's technically a Abrahamic Religion. The other bit I've heard (not sure if true) is that it was created to build unity and structure within the army at the time. (if you think about it, it makes sense) The Quran, like all religious books, should be seen as corrupted, as far as I'm concerned as it's been modified to suit whoever was in power.

From what I've heard from some scholars is that studying Islam objectively is difficult due to some of it's teachings and it's followers. I think some Muslims fear Islam becoming watered down like Christianity. Of course, like Christianity, there's many flavours of Islam... so it's already there in a way. You have many variations, from the extreme to the more relaxed.

Such is religion. I have hopes, though not in my life time, that one day these religions will fade and become the myths of tomorrow.

You weren't wrong in any of those except for the military part, never heard of that really. In the beginning there were very few followers, not to mention having a whole army.

Copy, well kind of. True. Islam recognizes other prophets as well, not just Muhammed. So as much is Quran our holy book, so is Bible, at least the parts of it, you know how it goes. Same goes Judaism. Islam takes many things from those two religions, but has so much of it's own stuff. Not to mention that the religion itself is a bit stricter.

About the corrupted book, it's much more complicated than you may think. At first only small parts were written, most of the book was carried by persons named Hazif. Basically, those are the people that know the whole Quran by mind, every single word. Now, as you may guess, some those folks forgot few words, few sentences, some of them remembered them differently and so on. So what they did was gathered those who they could trust the most (those who were highly unlikely to forget stuff, but still), and then they compiled the Quran as we know today. Other possible versions have been also gathered and burned. So if you count from then on, it's unchanged.

And yes, there's so much variations and crap (yes, literal crap) in there that it would take just too long to explain. Even I don't know much about it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

There are a few people who believe smartphones are on the verge of being obsolete and there are 'better' things coming. I'm yet to figure out what that is but all I hear is - W10 on ARM! CShell! Andromeda! Bots!

I'm not against MS in any way. Nor am I against future tech. However, to suggest smartphones and apps are 'old' tech is completely ridiculous. A smartphone is the most personal piece of tech we currently have. That's not going to change any time soon. It does pretty much what we need for portable computing.

I don't personally see anything MS brings to the market changing the market share mindset that's currently out there. I'm not saying they can't I just don't see what they can do. Not everything is 'website' based and those things that are, don't necessarily have the best interfaces or features.

So unless MS gets developers on board, I just don't see things changing much. You can bring out the best piece of tech but if no one buys it (or few) all you have is a niche product. If they're ok with that then fine. If they want more than that then they really need to re-imagine what they're doing. Because currently MS with regards to mobile appears to be one revamp after another. Most consumers won't put up with that. Hell, even enterprises are not happy about that kind of thing. No one wants to be a constant BETA tester, unless that your job.

As MIA would say ibid.

I called BS as soon as I read the initial article back in January.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I finally picked up the USB-C headphones. Sound is solid so far. Unfortunately, they don't help me much as there is no in-line microphone. I'll still keep them though as they feel comfortable to the ear...they will be my backups to my Sony Bluetooth headsets. That leaves my cans and my other in-ear headphones for home use.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I finally picked up the USB-C headphones. Sound is solid so far. Unfortunately, they don't help me much as there is no in-line microphone. I'll still keep them though as they feel comfortable to the ear...they will be my backups to my Sony Bluetooth headsets. That leaves my cans and my other in-ear headphones for home use.
Guess not a moment too soon as my cans shorted out. Sigh...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

😞 I'm sorry to hear that.
Thanks. It's ok though. I'll replace them later in the summer. I think between the Bluetooth headset, the Sony noise canceling in-ear ones for the tablet, these USB-C headphones, and the standard in-ear headphones, I'm ok for now.

I just liked the cans because I got to rest my ear canals from the in-ear headphones at home.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Mic is a must when I'm buying headphones. Don't know if I could ever get a pair without one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel