WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's ridiculous how software versions can make a difference in battery life.
The iPhone I am returning was on 10.1.1 and it barely lost anything in standby.

This one on the other hand is losing it noticeably on 10.2.1. I guess nevermind a more expensive case because the battery pack is the only savior. From what I'm hearing, the current version isn't any better.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

All done. It took about 3-4 hours to get it right up to date.

Overall, performance has improved since AU. In some areas I'm surprised to say it's nice and snappy but in other areas it's still frustratingly slow. And I'm finding that I have to press buttons and links two, three or more times before it registers. The UI, although improved, still has its inconsistencies. For example, if I tap on the hamburger menu of an app (in this instance the News app), the grey sidebar melts into the same grey of the app's background. There is no clear delineation between the menu and rest of the app. Granted I haven't tried apps in Light Mode so maybe it's different. As for battery life I'm only 12 hours in so I can't properly gauge it in W10M. Let's wait and see if it's improved since AU.

Anyway, that's that. My mum can continue to use Skype on her 640 XL from July 1st. lol

Will I make the jump on my 640 and 735? No. I got my eyes on eBay for a cheap 550, 650 or even a 532 so I can tinker around with W10M.

Battery life went downhill with my L640. Don't expect anything better.
How's Edge doing? I wonder how that one didn't manage to get you frustrated already.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The main reason they say that is because the audio conversion is done local to the speaker rather than in the phone.

There's less chance of losses (though I think that's a silly argument). You also get 'powered' headphones due to them being USB so the DAC can be designed optimally to provide the best possible sound. So long as you have good quality parts you should 'technically' have better sound.

That's the theory anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before see a dual USB C phone...

But again, it all comes down to tiny nuanses. Question is, can one really spot the difference?

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The main reason they say that is because the audio conversion is done local to the speaker rather than in the phone.

There's less chance of losses (though I think that's a silly argument). You also get 'powered' headphones due to them being USB so the DAC can be designed optimally to provide the best possible sound. So long as you have good quality parts you should 'technically' have better sound.

That's the theory anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before see a dual USB C phone...

Oh, did not see that last line. That's interesting. Never thought of it. What I read somewhere is that they're trying to improve the wireless charging, so that you won't be needing a USB port to charge your phone anymore. That way you'd have a an unoccupied port to use.

But again, I can bet on this, Apple's going to come with a bit better wireless charging, ditch all the ports and make everything wireless. And of course **** so many people off once again.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I did a little bit of a research, it turns out I'm entitled to free college. Yay. Now let's just hope bureaucracy doesn't stand in my way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

But again, it all comes down to tiny nuanses. Question is, can one really spot the difference?

Well, here's the thing.

In general, humans don't have the best hearing. We're generally 'mid range'. Also, how something sounds is a personal thing.

There are of course many people out there, known as 'audiophiles' who believe they have superior hearing and can detect difference. There's been a few studies that debunk this.

The whole audiophile industry is built on ego.

So, is a USB headphone better than a standard? The simple answer here is, 'depends'. There is no black and white answer. You can end up with crap USB headphones and amazing standard headphones.

There's probably pluses to USB but as I already stated, it will come down to what's used.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh, did not see that last line. That's interesting. Never thought of it. What I read somewhere is that they're trying to improve the wireless charging, so that you won't be needing a USB port to charge your phone anymore. That way you'd have a an unoccupied port to use.

But again, I can bet on this, Apple's going to come with a bit better wireless charging, ditch all the ports and make everything wireless. And of course **** so many people off once again.

Wireless charging has one major fault... it's not easily portable and there isn't always a place to plug it in. The other fault is your device has to stay on the charger. This is not really convenient.

So this is where having one USB port fails if you wish to charge and listen to music at the same time.

Of course the push for better wireless headphones is what's going to happen. Which I don't object to.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yay the Swappa sale of the Pixel has been completed! Gladly welcoming that change back into my account. Phew.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You weren't wrong in any of those except for the military part, never heard of that really. In the beginning there were very few followers, not to mention having a whole army.

I was going to write a large reply but I just don't have the time today. But I thought I'd clarify this bit.

I don't remember where I read/saw this from. It could have been a video, article, book or comment on a forum. I'm not sure. There was some 'backing' to it but I don't fully recall what it was. I've read/seen a lot of things on religion in general so it could have been anywhere.

As with most religions a lot of the information about things is rather sketchy. From my understanding the Quran was written quite a while after his death. Also, from what I've read, there is a few scholars who think there's a possibility that he never really existed as a person. Kind of similar to Jesus, there's a bit of contention on that. Along with a lot of the other main religious figures in the Bible/Torah.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Well, here's the thing.

In general, humans don't have the best hearing. We're generally 'mid range'. Also, how something sounds is a personal thing.

There are of course many people out there, known as 'audiophiles' who believe they have superior hearing and can detect difference. There's been a few studies that debunk this.

The whole audiophile industry is built on ego.

So, is a USB headphone better than a standard? The simple answer here is, 'depends'. There is no black and white answer. You can end up with crap USB headphones and amazing standard headphones.

There's probably pluses to USB but as I already stated, it will come down to what's used.

I remember you saying this before, I could not agree more. I mean, sure, you can end up with a crappy pair of USB headphones just like with the 3.5mm ones, you can't blame it on the port.

It'd be nice if one of these companies were to make a two pair of the same headphones, with one pair sporting USB and another one old 3.5mm jack. That should be a legit test to show if there's a notable difference.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Wireless charging has one major fault... it's not easily portable and there isn't always a place to plug it in. The other fault is your device has to stay on the charger. This is not really convenient.

So this is where having one USB port fails if you wish to charge and listen to music at the same time.

Of course the push for better wireless headphones is what's going to happen. Which I don't object to.

Now, I can't remember if I heard this in Techno Buffalo's video, or it was a totally different source, but they were talking about wireless charging without the 'plates". Now that'd be a game changer.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I was going to write a large reply but I just don't have the time today. But I thought I'd clarify this bit.

I don't remember where I read/saw this from. It could have been a video, article, book or comment on a forum. I'm not sure. There was some 'backing' to it but I don't fully recall what it was. I've read/seen a lot of things on religion in general so it could have been anywhere.

As with most religions a lot of the information about things is rather sketchy. From my understanding the Quran was written quite a while after his death. Also, from what I've read, there is a few scholars who think there's a possibility that he never really existed as a person. Kind of similar to Jesus, there's a bit of contention on that. Along with a lot of the other main religious figures in the Bible/Torah.

Yeah it was a quite some time after his death, that led to issues I wrote about in my previous post.

Of course you can never prove if any of them existed, you just believe in it. That's why it's called faith.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Thanks! Really glad for this, obviously because it's a good chunk of money, but also since it means that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

So are you going to wait for the iPhone X, or whatever it's called, to trade in for your 7? Is it even possible, since it's still not payed off?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So are you going to wait for the iPhone X, or whatever it's called, to trade in for your 7? Is it even possible, since it's still not payed off?

Yep, that is what I will do (not on launch day or week though). I should be able to trade it in. I have done it once with Apple at the Apple Store and I remember that only 3 things were needed. The device powers on, the screen isn't cracked and Find My Phone is turned off. They recycle the devices anyway so it shouldn't matter ideally.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Yep, that is what I will do (not on launch day or week though). I should be able to trade it in. I have done it once with Apple at the Apple Store and I remember that only 3 things were needed. The device powers on, the screen isn't cracked and Find My Phone is turned off. They recycle the devices anyway so it shouldn't matter ideally.

Remember real Apple Juice is only available from Apple.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I caved in and opened the Orchid Grey Galaxy S8 box. Setting it up now (will take an eternity to download the apps on the work guest Wi-Fi). Hopefully I should be able to use it starting tomorrow on the spare line. Will have two more phones to play with this weekend. Old ones so nothing to write home about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb