WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well said.

Ugh the last thing you mentioned has happened to me a lot. There was a point in my life when I saw that as a compliment (i'll rather not elaborate on that openly, but if one wishes to know, message me) but thankfully I realized that it's not one and that it is actually terrible.
Yup, it's a backhanded compliment that sometimes you want to backhand the person who said it...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yup, it's a backhanded compliment that sometimes you want to backhand the person who said it...

Seriously! I don't get it. I'm sure you have lots of examples of this as well. I'll admit that sometimes I have an internal debate how I should feel.

Like one time at church, a lady told me "I didn't know that you were Nigerian. You don't really act like one." I didn't understand that...and I still don't considering that she is Nigerian herself. To this day, I don't get what she meant or was implying. I was debating if I should be offended but I chose to settle on confusion.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

On a lighter note, my friend who is 20 and has proposed to his now fiancee, is arriving soon. It would be nice to see her on Friday. I have met her but I haven't had a social experience with her yet.

Related, talking to my brother yesterday, he thinks that one of my friends might like me but I don't know about that. I'm super oblivious when it comes to noticing things like that. He's a cool guy, he is cute but I don't think I am his type so it's hard for me to believe that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Seriously! I don't get it. I'm sure you have lots of examples of this as well. I'll admit that sometimes I have an internal debate how I should feel.

Like one time at church, a lady told me "I didn't know that you were Nigerian. You don't really act like one." I didn't understand that...and I still don't considering that she is Nigerian herself. To this day, I don't get what she meant or was implying. I was debating if I should be offended but I chose to settle on confusion.
I used to get that when I lived in my home country, so I just chalked it up to ignorance. Sometimes I'd do something that is so "Jamacian" (based on their perception), it would stop them COLD. Then I'd raise an eyebrow at them and you should see them squirm and change topic rapidly.

That's how people are. They do like to shat over people, and there are times it is necessary to get down like that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I used to get that when I lived in my home country, so I just chalked it up to ignorance. Sometimes I'd do something that is so "Jamaican" (based on their perception), it would stop them COLD. Then I'd raise an eyebrow at them and you should see them squirm and change topic rapidly.

That's how people are. They do like to shat over people, and there are times it is necessary to get down like that.

You are awesome to do that to them. That sounds like that must have been funny to see them react that way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

MIA didn't say but implied it.

Cultural expectations. Indicating you're supposed to be 'acting' or 'being' a certain way.

I'm Canadian, regardless of my world travel. However, I'm not very Canadian in the ways that people expect. I don't speak like a Canadian. I don't dress like a Canadian (from where my family lives especially!). I'm probably not the most politest/nicest person around either but that's a warped perception that's been perpetuated by media and probably the government. To imply all Canadians are polite nice people is a false dichotomy... also if the bar is that low the world has greater problems than I thought...

Cultural identity is something I've sort of struggled with anyway as Canada, where I grew up, is a melting pot. What exactly is a Canadian anyway? Canada is just a place. There are good people everywhere.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The UK has record unemployment (the numbers are BS but hey...). The simple truth is, even though jobs is something that's brought up, typically it's more about pay than getting a job, but the bigger issue is about local services.

Biggest issue is that the UK simply does not invest in local services and because immigration happens in these small towns the services become strapped. So that's where a lot of the anger comes from but has nothing to do with immigrants or the EU...

When it all started I had a feeling it was mostly related to IT industry. It's common thing to have very diverse teams working together in a foreign country, and on top of everything there's a more than a fine wage.

For instance, Rockstar had already said that they're going to have serious issues, once UK leaves UE. They're going to lost both the open market and many fonds.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

That's the same mantra being chanted in the US. "Those Mexicans are stealing our jobs" blah, blah and more blah. Those "Mexicans" do what nobody else is willing to do. I've been in the construction industry for over 30 years and I can't remember the last time I saw a 'Murican doing ironwork on a deck, plastering stucco or digging for pile caps. If the lilies had to pick lettuce & tomatoes a salad would cost $50.

Well that's the problem. There's going to be serious issues in every possible industry, the prices are definitely going to increase.

Picture this: Entitled Millenial picking cherries for 4$ an hour. Good comedy.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I knew about that. We (my country) just like in the 80s had a great reputation both in the US and UK and could get jobs easily. Then the 90s rolled around and some of the criminally minded got into both placed and sullied our rep. Now it's just mixed.

You'd be surprised (not Rue) how racist some can get. I remember my uncle's sister came to visit with her niece when I was younger (they were black) and tried to shat over us because they were from the UK. And I know of people who live in the UK and dealt with the horrible racist episodes in spades...that's no different that in some places still here in the US.

Struggle is still real in 2017 with that topic...

I know people who have never met a black person their lives (this is a south-eastern Europe, so...) and they still, literally, hate them. That's right. They're, like I haven't met them but they're criminals and stuff, you know they're black.

And the racism doesn't end there. Whenever a video of a police brutality shows up on Facebook, the comments are so sick and poisoning that it makes me sick. I'm not even going to mention all the crap they writr there.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

On a lighter note, my friend who is 20 and has proposed to his now fiancee, is arriving soon. It would be nice to see her on Friday. I have met her but I haven't had a social experience with her yet.

Related, talking to my brother yesterday, he thinks that one of my friends might like me but I don't know about that. I'm super oblivious when it comes to noticing things like that. He's a cool guy, he is cute but I don't think I am his type so it's hard for me to believe that.

Tell me about being oblivious. Missed out on a super great girl a couple of months ago.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Well, don't know any stereotypes about Nigerians, but when someones tells you that you're not acting like a you're from Balkan, when you really are, it's really a compliment. Sort of.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you. That sucks.

Yup, it does. If it weren't embarassing it would be funny how things went out with the two of us. I'll just say I asked her out and found out that she's not available anymore. At the date.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MIA didn't say but implied it.

Cultural expectations. Indicating you're supposed to be 'acting' or 'being' a certain way.

I'm Canadian, regardless of my world travel. However, I'm not very Canadian in the ways that people expect. I don't speak like a Canadian. I don't dress like a Canadian (from where my family lives especially!). I'm probably not the most politest/nicest person around either but that's a warped perception that's been perpetuated by media and probably the government. To imply all Canadians are polite nice people is a false dichotomy... also if the bar is that low the world has greater problems than I thought...

Cultural identity is something I've sort of struggled with anyway as Canada, where I grew up, is a melting pot. What exactly is a Canadian anyway? Canada is just a place. There are good people everywhere.
This might help...
846b2cfbc3c79d17a5ca9e2be6ee1817.jpg
4a1522d4bc3c5fc0e77e8cad76ae95ec.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Well that's the problem. There's going to be serious issues in every possible industry, the prices are definitely going to increase.

Picture this: Entitled Millenial picking cherries for 4$ an hour. Good comedy.
You had me at Entitled Millennial picking.........anything.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I remember installing a game from a floppy, it was a Millioner game, just a few KBs, but it took forever.

I Remember Chess Maniac 5 Billion and 1 came on something like 12 floppies and took over 20 minutes to decompress when it first came out (early 90's). Not sure I still have it backed up anymore, but at one point I had burned a copy to CD and it was down to about a 2 minute decompress time (late 90's).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05