WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I can give you a bit of an update:

The wedding went really really well - the weather was a bit unsettled, raining in the morning but it cleared up in the afternoon/evening and she turned up so we ended up getting married - always a good thing. We got some great photos and the day went really quickly but at the same time I made sure to try to take it all in.

We went on honeymoon around Devon/Cornwall (as a type of mini-moon) for 5 days with a view to going to Italy later this year / spring next year and enjoying the place in slightly cooler weather.

The plan originally was to get moving into our new place the week before the wedding but that got put back to the week after, so the new plan then was to come back from mini-moon and move in but we've had delays getting paperwork from the local council for the people we're buying from. So we've currently been delayed for over 3 weeks and still have no moving in date right now but I'm hopeful it will be in the next two weeks or so.

Work promotion has been going well, still transitioning over but mostly there now. It's all working out now.

The one downside was that on mini-moon my 950XL gave up the ghost so I've now got a S8+ plus which is a nice phone but I wish it ran WM. I like having apps but I don't like the way android ways in some aspects.
That's a mouthful!

1) Glad to see the wedding went well. Congrats again.
2) Sorry to hear about your 950XL. Agreed with you about Android.
3) Nice to hear work is going well.
4) Sucks about the housing situation. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The wedding went really really well - the weather was a bit unsettled, raining in the morning but it cleared up in the afternoon/evening and she turned up so we ended up getting married - always a good thing. We got some great photos and the day went really quickly but at the same time I made sure to try to take it all in.

We went on honeymoon around Devon/Cornwall (as a type of mini-moon) for 5 days with a view to going to Italy later this year / spring next year and enjoying the place in slightly cooler weather.

The plan originally was to get moving into our new place the week before the wedding but that got put back to the week after, so the new plan then was to come back from mini-moon and move in but we've had delays getting paperwork from the local council for the people we're buying from. So we've currently been delayed for over 3 weeks and still have no moving in date right now but I'm hopeful it will be in the next two weeks or so.

Work promotion has been going well, still transitioning over but mostly there now. It's all working out now.

The one downside was that on mini-moon my 950XL gave up the ghost so I've now got a S8+ plus which is a nice phone but I wish it ran WM. I like having apps but I don't like the way android ways in some aspects.
Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well on your wedding day.

I hope the house paperwork gets sorted quickly so the 2 of you will finally be able to move and get all the work on the new house done.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Congrats and I'm happy you had good weather! If there's one thing that can't be relied upon here in the UK... I'm currently wearing a jacket again and it's almost July....

Where'd you go? Did you get down to Lands End? Where are you heading to in Italy? I've been to Venice and Rome if you need any tips or suggestions.

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday and we both had a rough time with getting our houses. Her's was especially stressful due to her not having a house at all and having to rent a service apartment at an a ridiculous rate. I mentioned that I found the house buying process in the UK more stressful than dealing with immigration and that's three different countries!

Buying a house in the UK just seems to take forever!

Great to hear! :)

Sorry to hear about your 950XL. You can get a launcher that emulates W10M but I prefer a light interface myself. You do get used to Android after a bit. It's unfortunate that W10M is in such a state.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey LaRue you're still in the UK at this point?

We went all around Cornwall and Devon - Lands End, Eden Project, St Ives, Bude, Ilfracombe, Wollacombe, Exter, Plymouth, Lynmouth and Lynton, which is quite a lot to fit into 5 days!

As far as Italy goes I think Rome or Venice - ideally I'm thinking of touring around a bit but I'm not sure if the language barrier would stop that. I do want to hit big places like Rome and anywhere else you might suggest is nice.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes I'm still in the UK. We haven't got a concrete timeline as a lot of it relies on other things. We are still drawing up our plans on what we plan to do exactly and finding things out that will hopefully make the transition easier. We've finally picked our area and are currently talking to lenders. We can't really shop for a house until we have the cash to do so! Our house is currently at a good value so we'll get something for our sale. That will be used for survival as we get started and renovations as well.

My wife wants to move quickly but I personally think we'll be moving next year sometime, but that could change. It all depends on how quickly things move and what state the house will be in. We'll need funds to renovate and setup our businesses. We hope to have Christmas in France but we'll see.

I currently have my permanent residency application in with the UK so that's the backup plan if things go awry. That's of course I get it... who knows, I may be leaving sooner than I thought! LOL!

We went all around Cornwall and Devon - Lands End, Eden Project, St Ives, Bude, Ilfracombe, Wollacombe, Exter, Plymouth, Lynmouth and Lynton, which is quite a lot to fit into 5 days!

That is a lot to do in 5 days! I like the Eden Project.

As far as Italy goes I think Rome or Venice - ideally I'm thinking of touring around a bit but I'm not sure if the language barrier would stop that. I do want to hit big places like Rome and anywhere else you might suggest is nice.

Well if you're going tour around then I'd be silly not to recommend the Amalfi Coast. I haven't been but it's gorgeous looking.

I really enjoyed Venice. We went in October, it was still busy, of course less busy than main tourist time but still! It's a busy place all year really. I recommend walking out of the touristy areas to enjoy the atmosphere of the place. We stayed in Venice but it is an expensive place to stay even off peak. So you can stay off island and take a train in. There's no cars in Venice. Also AirBnB does have some good options.

In Rome we stayed about 100m from the Colosseum in a small BnB. It was nothing fancy and fairly cheap but it did what we needed. The owner also had a restaurant which had good food. Rome is like walking around an archaeological site. There's digs going on all over the place! We did a lot of walking. We stayed in the centre so nothing was really that far. Recommend eating out of the tourist areas for better food.

There's a lot to see in Rome.

If you want to go to the Colosseum and the Forum there's a couple of tricks to avoid the lines. Let me know when you're going and I'll tell you closer to the time. :)

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Congrats on the wedding. Best of luck!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Getting all the papers I need to apply for college. I have my dad getting them for me since he doesn't have to pay for them, while I would.

Also, I'm taking care of the documents I'll need for the Student Center, and let me tell you, there's like 20 docs I need. 20!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So yeah, I decided for the dorm. Many reason led to the decision. Finances being the most important one.

Also, I'm not your world's best cook. I have issues preparing eggs, I almost set a whole room on fire. But in the dorm, I'll have breakfast and dinner already prepared.

Also, everything possible is included in the price. Water, heat, electricity, cleaning and free internet.

Again, also, there are football courts, basketball ones, volleyball court and the gym. Just having a free gym is a major plus to me.

If I were to get the apartment, I'd pay 250-300 KM, without the water, internet and similar, and without all the courts and gym of course. While in the Student Center I'd have to pay around 250 KM. See where I'm going with this.

I'll get some discounts since my dad was in war and had stepped on the mine and stuff, so it'll be even cheaper.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Hey rose, you don't get any vouchers for meals as students there. We get Vouchers for meals from our government, as many per month as there are working days. It's worth about 3€ so you can get full meal for about 3€ of your own payment, that is soup, main dish, salad and fruit. Or you can get Kebab, sandwich, burek,... Without paying extra. That is one awesome thing over here but I have no idea if it exists everywhere else.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Hey rose, you don't get any vouchers for meals as students there. We get Vouchers for meals from our government, as many per month as there are working days. It's worth about 3€ so you can get full meal for about 3€ of your own payment, that is soup, main dish, salad and fruit. Or you can get Kebab, sandwich, burek,... Without paying extra. That is one awesome thing over here but I have no idea if it exists everywhere else.

Definitely not here... LOL!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh, I forgot to say one thing.

Don't worry about the language barrier. You can do a lot with minimal vocabulary and pointing.

Roaming around in other areas is fun. It's all part of the experience. :) Also, Google translate is a wonderful tool when you need it! You can download the language pack for offline use.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm basically going to repeat what you have already been told by others here. It's great to hear from you though, especially when it comes to the good stuff such as the wedding going well and your promotion going well too. I'm hoping that you will have a move in date soon and I wish you the best with the s8+, sorry about your 950XL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm glad that I have finally sold the 950. It felt like a struggle to sell it. Solid phone but wasted on me since I like smaller phones like the Lumia 650.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I'm glad that I have finally sold the 950. It felt like a struggle to sell it. Solid phone but wasted on me since I like smaller phones like the Lumia 650.

Yeah there's unfortunately a lot of uncertainty with the future of the devices which have made selling them a little harder. I've noticed similar things over at CrackBerry with the older devices as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah there's unfortunately a lot of uncertainty with the future of the devices which have made selling them a little harder. I've noticed similar things over at CrackBerry with the older devices as well.
Unfortunately, it's always been like this as an ugly underside of tech. Fortunately, my XL makes a great mirror and trade chip for the right enthusiast. It's an improvement over how I used to use iFruit devices - a doorstop...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That's true, and I totally agree. What has confused me about this is that I have seen SO much wanting of it and the 950XL throughout these forums. People seem to want it but no one really takes action.

I can only imagine how it is on Crackberry.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

It's the same there. everyone wanted the first couple of android Devices and then a few get listed and nothing. The BB10 devices are taking forever to move as well. I guess you're looking at unique communities and most that likely wanted these devices have probably already purchased. I don't know.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's the same there. everyone wanted the first couple of android Devices and then a few get listed and nothing. The BB10 devices are taking forever to move as well. I guess you're looking at unique communities and most that likely wanted these devices have probably already purchased. I don't know.
At one point, I wanted a Privilege and a Passport...but went away from both ultimately. I thought about a KeyOne...would I be ballsy enough to trade a Mi Note 2 for it? Dunno.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05