WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ah okay. I think that's a valid thing to want a successor for the Z3. I have heard so much about that phone, along with the Z3 Compact. I can get you feeling that way.
The Z3 funny enough was a iteration to the Z2 (much slimmer). People initially shat on it because it seemed an iteration. But I was able to test the Z2 and Z3 side by side and boy, the Z3 was a smoother, better feeling device. The Z3/Z2was by far the best Sony high end phone in the Z series. That Z3 series line was really good...a pity it didn't get 7.0 thanks to Google.

It wasn't flawless, but the Z3 was a damn fine phone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow your friend's job sounds really interesting.

You're right about that. I have dealt with it, but I always forget that this is a thing still...until it happens.
I get the other end. I don't like sports at all and I can tell that the 'guys' think it's weird. Especially in the place I live where people are really into their soccer. Don't get me started on what it was like in Australia. Saying they're sports nuts isn't the right word.

As MIA said, just ignore them. People have preconceived ideas of what people should look like or act like. When you don't fit their world view it is their problem.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Ooh okay, I see. Looks and sounds like a gem has been found. Good luck with the process! I think it would be cool to take before and after pictures to always have the memory.
This won't be the first time we did renovations. The place I live in currently was fully renovated. Not to the extent that this place in France will need but it was pretty thorough.

I'll find some pics and show you the difference. Of course the pictures don't tell the whole story. We had new widows, doors, electrics, plumbing and heating installed along with some internal changes to walls.

Having the experience already makes it a bit easier.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

This won't be the first time we did renovations. The place I live in currently was fully renovated. Not to the extent that this place in France will need but it was pretty thorough.

I'll find some pics and show you the difference. Of course the pictures don't tell the whole story. We had new widows, doors, electrics, plumbing and heating installed along with some internal changes to walls.

Having the experience already makes it a bit easier.
Wow, I had no idea. That's cool then! Sounds like you'll be just fine.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We are having the crappiest weather. Of all the weekends to be this crap it had to be this one.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So it's been 6 days which is sufficient enough to me to have more to say about the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. Consider this my review (If I have this in a month, I'll do a follow up). Some of this will overlap but oh well. I'm not even going to say that I'm not going to try to make this long haha but I will do my best to space it out accordingly.

The good:
-Battery life is great. Because my battery anxiety habits are still in me, I check it a lot throughout the day...and each time I check, I'm put at ease. I always get over a day, even after reading on it for like about 30 minutes with normal usage. Always.
-The size is great too. This is a great one handed usage phone. I don't have to shift it in my hand or anything. It actually feels better than the iPhone 7 and the Pixel felt in my hand.
-Cameras are nice. Both of them meet my standards for cameras in regular light and low light situations. There's a night mode that can used in low light but doesn't use flash. That mode is nice to have.

-There's a mute mode that silences the ringer but allows media to play just fine. I have tried so many Android phones without a mute or silent mode without vibration and having that not there, always grinds me. Love having that mode and also without DND at that.
-Performance is also good. Occasionally, it closes apps to save power but surprisingly, not many apps have to reload all the time.
-Speaker is good, as are calls. I'm good with the experience I have had on phone calls.

The neutral:
-Physical buttons. I don't love or hate them but it feels weird to have them again. The iPhone has just one button, so having three has been an adjustment.
-Speaking of, the button placement! Having recent apps on the left and back on the right is weird. It's still weird but I think I have got it down now.
-On the placement note, holding it landscape means that I have to remind myself not to cover the speaker.
-Fingerprint scanner is kind of fast but occasionally it doesn't read my thumb.
-Memory management is interesting. It closes apps in the background occasionally that are consuming power but it's not as aggressive as EMUI/Honor/Huawei style.
-The UI is Grace UI. I like it, there's many features but this is just a neutral for me. Not amazing, and surely not bad either.

The bad:
-It's still on 6.0.1. I knew this coming in, but I had to remind myself that some things don't work because that came later. I don't think this will bother me, but it's hard to note that as a good thing.
-The 16gb of storage. Being "forced" on WhatsApp has me wondering how this will go for me, since it saves media on the phone directly. It's still okay, but I see myself having to delete silly videos that people like to send on it. (To be fair though, I have a 16gb iPhone SE, and I'm used to deleting stuff I don't see a need to keep on my phone).
-The signal appears to be weak. One would think that a glass backed phone would not have that problem but that's not the case. Phone stats show me that 14% of the time, I haven't had a signal, which seems high to me. Even so, battery life doesn't seem to be affected, weirdly enough.

That's it though. I feel like I have met my phone match, and I'm glad that I took a chance on this somewhat rare phone.
It finally feels like I'm not sacrificing much. I still really like the SE but the only thing that made it tough was the front camera, especially coming from the Pixel and Honor 8, which have 2 of the best front cameras in the Android world currently.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So it's been 6 days which is sufficient enough to me to have more to say about the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017. Consider this my review (If I have this in a month, I'll do a follow up). Some of this will overlap but oh well. I'm not even going to say that I'm not going to try to make this long haha but I will do my best to space it out accordingly.

The good:
-Battery life is great. Because my battery anxiety habits are still in me, I check it a lot throughout the day...and each time I check, I'm put at ease. I always get over a day, even after reading on it for like about 30 minutes with normal usage. Always.
-The size is great too. This is a great one handed usage phone. I don't have to shift it in my hand or anything. It actually feels better than the iPhone 7 and the Pixel felt in my hand.
-Cameras are nice. Both of them meet my standards for cameras in regular light and low light situations. There's a night mode that can used in low light but doesn't use flash. That mode is nice to have.

-There's a mute mode that silences the ringer but allows media to play just fine. I have tried so many Android phones without a mute or silent mode without vibration and having that not there, always grinds me. Love having that mode and also without DND at that.
-Performance is also good. Occasionally, it closes apps to save power but surprisingly, not many apps have to reload all the time.
-Speaker is good, as are calls. I'm good with the experience I have had on phone calls.

The neutral:
-Physical buttons. I don't love or hate them but it feels weird to have them again. The iPhone has just one button, so having three has been an adjustment.
-Speaking of, the button placement! Having recent apps on the left and back on the right is weird. It's still weird but I think I have got it down now.
-On the placement note, holding it landscape means that I have to remind myself not to cover the speaker.
-Memory management is interesting. It closes apps in the background occasionally that are consuming power but it's not as aggressive as EMUI/Honor/Huawei style.
-The UI is Grace UI. I like it, there's many features but this is just a neutral for me. Not amazing, and surely not bad either.

The bad:
-It's still on 6.0.1. I knew this coming in, but I had to remind myself that some things don't work because that came later. I don't think this will bother me, but it's hard to note that as a good thing.
-The 16gb of storage. Being "forced" on WhatsApp has me wondering how this will go for me, since it saves media on the phone directly. It's still okay, but I see myself having to delete silly videos that people like to send on it. (To be fair though, I have a 16gb iPhone SE, and I'm used to deleting stuff I don't see a need to keep on my phone).
-The signal appears to be weak. One would think that a glass backed phone would not have that problem but that's not the case. Phone stats show me that 14% of the time, I haven't had a signal, which seems high to me. Even so, battery life doesn't seem to be affected, weirdly enough.

That's it though. I feel like I have met my phone match, and I'm glad that I took a chance on this somewhat rare phone.
It finally feels like I'm not sacrificing much. I still really like the SE but the only thing that made it tough was the front camera, especially coming from the Pixel and Honor 8, which have 2 of the best front cameras in the Android world currently.
Adopted storage to increase space?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The good:

The neutral:

The bad:

Solid review. If it gets 7.0, it sounds like it will be much better. Seems like you've found a solid match for your needs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Adopted storage to increase space?
I have to check if that is possible, thanks for suggesting that!

Edit: Apparently, it's disabled intentionally by Samsung but there's a thread on how to enable it on xda and it seems over my head so I don't know if I'm up to attempting it right now. I might give it a try when I read it very carefully.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Solid review. If it gets 7.0, it sounds like it will be much better. Seems like you've found a solid match for your needs.

Thank you! Yeah I think so too. I'm surprised how well it fits and works for me. I forgot to add a pro that Samsung seems not to nag you about not having a second sim. It's a dual sim phone but it's so easy to forget because you don't see anything related to it until you open the call log, along with the texts log.

Whoops, I forgot to say that the A 2017 series is also water resistant too at that. That doesn't make a difference to me but it's surprising to see here.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have to check if that is possible, thanks for suggesting that!

Edit: Apparently, it's disabled intentionally by Samsung but there's a thread on how to enable it on xda and it seems over my head so I don't know if I'm up to attempting it right now. I might give it a try when I read it very carefully.
Remember, if you do that it simply means you're stuck with that memory card in the phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Remember, if you do that it simply means you're stuck with that memory card in the phone.
Hmm that's a good point. To be fair, since I am about the cloud life, I don't think I would mind. I'll really have to think about this though and if it is worth it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hmm that's a good point. To be fair, since I am about the cloud life, I don't think I would mind. I'll really have to think about this though and if it is worth it.
Well, to each his own. I'm still the old school local storage guy, so 16GB doesn't cut it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb