WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ahh someone got into a debate with me about most Android phones not having a silent/mute mode without going into Do Not Disturb.

Then they list 2 phones that have it. Two is in the minority and not the majority. That is something that bugged me a lot about the Pixel and several others I have tried.

Every Android phone i owned can be muted but only the recent ones have DND.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Every Android phone i owned can be muted but only the recent ones have DND.
Interesting! Maybe my trials are just really recent so I wonder what changed.
I can't be bothered to list them all right now, but I remember the few that had it. Off the top of my head, the Nextbit Robin, Honor 8 and the Samsung galaxy A3 2017 are ones that have offered mute without DND and/or vibrate.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Smartphone have a limited lifespan due to OEMs wanting to keep their hands in your pocket as opposed to them truly not working after two years.

I see Note 4's, HTC M8's and the occasional S4. Those run just fine...in fact, the M8 may have gotten some of the longest support from HTC. It's marketing.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at.

There are several voices on this forum stating that the mobile form factor and mobile as we know it, is dying. That what we think of as smartphones is 'old and boring' and that there is a need for a shift to something new now.

This idea is one that's being touted by the Windows fans and article writers here. All with 'proofs' that there's a change coming and currently only MS is positioning itself to be the one to succeed at this by bringing out a new 2 in 1 form factor.

Whether they do or don't is irrelevant. I don't really see many flocking for 2 in 1 mobiles and I don't see many people complaining about smartphones in general. Those who are 'bored' are only those who don't appreciate what they have and what they can do with a smartphone.

Let's not get started on what MS's new device might cost and why anyone would want to pay top dollar for it. I'm not saying no one will buy, nor am I saying that enterprise might be interested (though this is more smaller enterprise or those that rely on mobile workers) not the type of work I do or many do stuck at desks because that's what our clients want.

I don't see why mobile has to change, which was my point. The only advances I really want to see is in screen technology where the screen is robust (doesn't break when you sneeze) and uses less energy so you have longer battery life. The other bit is a better battery in general and probably doing something about the radios, though that is a tough one.

Creating a new form factor isn't going to fix any of these issues in my view and really, what people want is to have what they desire at their fingertips. Why not fix those issues then worry about the 'next big thing'?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at.

There are several voices on this forum stating that the mobile form factor and mobile as we know it, is dying. That what we think of as smartphones is 'old and boring' and that there is a need for a shift to something new now.

This idea is one that's being touted by the Windows fans and article writers here. All with 'proofs' that there's a change coming and currently only MS is positioning itself to be the one to succeed at this by bringing out a new 2 in 1 form factor.

Whether they do or don't is irrelevant. I don't really see many flocking for 2 in 1 mobiles and I don't see many people complaining about smartphones in general. Those who are 'bored' are only those who don't appreciate what they have and what they can do with a smartphone.

Let's not get started on what MS's new device might cost and why anyone would want to pay top dollar for it. I'm not saying no one will buy, nor am I saying that enterprise might be interested (though this is more smaller enterprise or those that rely on mobile workers) not the type of work I do or many do stuck at desks because that's what our clients want.

I don't see why mobile has to change, which was my point. The only advances I really want to see is in screen technology where the screen is robust (doesn't break when you sneeze) and uses less energy so you have longer battery life. The other bit is a better battery in general and probably doing something about the radios, though that is a tough one.

Creating a new form factor isn't going to fix any of these issues in my view and really, what people want is to have what they desire at their fingertips. Why not fix those issues then worry about the 'next big thing'?
Actually, I understood. I just chose to ignore a good chunk of that argument because it would appear MSFT is switching to a nich status as Apple did out of necessity back in the days.

For me, MSFT with their dismantling of Nokia and the gap between the 930 and 950 lines proved they conceded Mobile in its current form. While it is prudent to try to figure out the next convergence of tech that causes that breakthrough similar to smartphones, I don't think we may find it for a while as it has to be something with the potential to be as ubiquitous as a computer or a mobile phone. I think AR and IoT are a good place to start, but access to the internet isn't yet a truly universal thing as access to food, water, shelter, clothing and education are.

What MSFT also has to do is to not sacrifice current money making venture at the expense of chasing the future. Shareholders will not be pleased.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Actually, I understood. I just chose to ignore a good chunk of that argument because it would appear MSFT is switching to a nich status as Apple did out of necessity back in the days.

For me, MSFT with their dismantling of Nokia and the gap between the 930 and 950 lines proved they conceded Mobile in its current form. While it is prudent to try to figure out the next convergence of tech that causes that breakthrough similar to smartphones, I don't think we may find it for a while as it has to be something with the potential to be as ubiquitous as a computer or a mobile phone. I think AR and IoT are a good place to start, but access to the internet isn't yet a truly universal thing as access to food, water, shelter, clothing and education are.

What MSFT also has to do is to not sacrifice current money making venture at the expense of chasing the future. Shareholders will not be pleased.

I agree MS is switching to niche status but the way people go on about it here they appear to think that they're going to be developing the future... because of x, y and z. Maybe they are, but until that happens it's impossible to know.

I also agree about the issues with internet and mobile connectivity in general. Even in my small house I have issues getting my wifi signal to the second floor and to my kitchen from the front of the house. I'd love a mesh network but I can't be bothered paying the money at this point in time. They're way too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Internet connectivity in the UK is pathetic to be honest and this used to be the 5th largest western economy and a tiny island to boot!

Personally I think MS will keep doing what they're doing because it is making them money. They'll do 'something' with mobile but whether it's a game changer is a question mark. I don't think anything they do will have mass appeal and I think even enterprise will be cautious. Well they should be.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree MS is switching to niche status but the way people go on about it here they appear to think that they're going to be developing the future... because of x, y and z. Maybe they are, but until that happens it's impossible to know.

I also agree about the issues with internet and mobile connectivity in general. Even in my small house I have issues getting my wifi signal to the second floor and to my kitchen from the front of the house. I'd love a mesh network but I can't be bothered paying the money at this point in time. They're way too expensive for what they are in my opinion.

Internet connectivity in the UK is pathetic to be honest and this used to be the 5th largest western economy and a tiny island to boot!

Personally I think MS will keep doing what they're doing because it is making them money. They'll do 'something' with mobile but whether it's a game changer is a question mark. I don't think anything they do will have mass appeal and I think even enterprise will be cautious. Well they should be.
I don't read the articles here anymore, honestly. I barely read the articles on Android Central either.

I post in the forums and that's it. There have been changes in both places I'm not feeling so I stick with the forums. It's not to bash anyone, but with all change, not everyone will like or agree with it. The flavor of both places are different now, that's all.

And I have no qualms in stating that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

As for MSFT, they'll keep doing what they're doing. I just think that as an enthusiast of a certain persuasion, MSFT was done with mobile the moment they bought Nokia and got to look behind the curtain and didn't like what they saw.

Just another good idea thrown on the pile of good ideas that died on the road to technological "progress".

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

A refurbished Pixel being on sale again is tempting but I'll be good.

On a phone related note, I'm starting to wonder if something is up with dual sim phones or my network. We have had two emergency alerts (one was weather related and the other was an AMBER alert) and I didn't get either one. That's kind of scary to me to not get those considering that I used to get them before changing phones. I don't know if this has to do with me using a phone that wasn't made for my country, or if it's a dual sim thing, or if I was somehow unenrolled from it?

Does anyone in America have this experience with either dual sim or international phones? Going to dig to see what I can find.

Edit: I looked it up and this is down to the phone. This phone does not support emergency alerts so there's no way I can get them. Thankfully I have a weather app that gives me weather alerts but I really never thought about this before. The more you know...

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The other bit is a better battery in general and probably doing something about the radios, though that is a tough one.
Simple, let's get past this crazy infatuation with Twiggy-sized phones. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to put an iPhone (or similar) in an Otterbox and make it close to 3/4" thick. In the same vein, putting on a Mophie to get better battery life is equally ridiculous. Obviously people don't have an issue with thick phones so why not make them sturdy and with beefy batteries? I'm sure the added girth helps engineers redesign the antennae to provide improved RF.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Simple, let's get past this crazy infatuation with Twiggy-sized phones. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to put an iPhone (or similar) in an Otterbox and make it close to 3/4" thick. In the same vein, putting on a Mophie to get better battery life is equally ridiculous. Obviously people don't have an issue with thick phones so why not make them sturdy and with beefy batteries? I'm sure the added girth helps engineers redesign the antennae to provide improved RF.
"But if you do that, how would we make money off accessories?" - Motorola

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Aww man, there's an iOS jailbreak for my iOS version but my SE isn't compatible with it

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So... i read some of that Google memo... I had the whole thing to read but I stopped fully reading it when all the false information started to come up.

I'm not sure where he gets his data from but a lot of what he said was completely wrong and more a point of view rather than anything based on 'science' as he put it. Yeah I can write a memo as well and say 'science says' but not back it up too.

MIA, I'd be curious what your take on it is.

From a person who works for a very large company, there is no democracy in a workplace. You do not have freedom of speech at a workplace. If you're going to send out something like that, your expectations are that you're going to get fired. So it's quite obvious that this guy wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and stoke controversy. That's my take anyway.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So... i read some of that Google memo... I had the whole thing to read but I stopped fully reading it when all the false information started to come up.

I'm not sure where he gets his data from but a lot of what he said was completely wrong and more a point of view rather than anything based on 'science' as he put it. Yeah I can write a memo as well and say 'science says' but not back it up too.

MIA, I'd be curious what your take on it is.

From a person who works for a very large company, there is no democracy in a workplace. You do not have freedom of speech at a workplace. If you're going to send out something like that, your expectations are that you're going to get fired. So it's quite obvious that this guy wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and stoke controversy. That's my take anyway.
I haven't really read the memo. Truth be told, the fact that there are companies that offered this dude jobs were trying to take advantage of the controversy. On a feminist level, it's more of the same that women and women who are minorities experience in S.T.E.M. careers.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I haven't really read the memo. Truth be told, the fact that there are companies that offered this dude jobs were trying to take advantage of the controversy. On a feminist level, it's more of the same that women and women who are minorities experience in S.T.E.M. careers.

I was hoping you had. Oh well.

Yeah any company offering this guy a job obviously doesn't care about the things he's talking about and wouldn't be a company I'd want to work for. I guess it's good for him...?

The main thing I have issues with this memo are the fact he's blathering on about science and then tries to back peddle a bit here an there saying that he might be biased, but then comes along and says, but science says this so therefore it's right.

Truth is, when it comes to brains (and sex differences), the science is still out on what the small differences between a man's and women's brain mean, if anything. Gender is a cultural idea so too is the role models we play in society.

Sure there are physical differences between men and women, very obvious differences but once you get below the surface, not so much.

He thinks he has a point, truth is he doesn't really. He seems to believe that women's role in IT or engineering shouldn't be code but something else. It's a bit sad that where still here in 2017. I do wonder when we as humans will evolve. Probably not until our AI masters take over...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I was hoping you had. Oh well.

Yeah any company offering this guy a job obviously doesn't care about the things he's talking about and wouldn't be a company I'd want to work for. I guess it's good for him...?

The main thing I have issues with this memo are the fact he's blathering on about science and then tries to back peddle a bit here an there saying that he might be biased, but then comes along and says, but science says this so therefore it's right.

Truth is, when it comes to brains (and sex differences), the science is still out on what the small differences between a man's and women's brain mean, if anything. Gender is a cultural idea so too is the role models we play in society.

Sure there are physical differences between men and women, very obvious differences but once you get below the surface, not so much.

He thinks he has a point, truth is he doesn't really. He seems to believe that women's role in IT or engineering shouldn't be code but something else. It's a bit sad that where still here in 2017. I do wonder when we as humans will evolve. Probably not until our AI masters take over...
I'm just going to give him the same dismissive treatment he has likely given women with his argument by not reading his argument and stating he's merely blowing more discriminatory smoke.

I had a feeling he was making those sorts of claims when I first saw the story break. So I decided to skip it on purpose, honestly. I'd rather spend the time talking about this instead:

https://youtu.be/FVpnHCPI9Eo

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Have I mentioned that the weather here has been pretty crap for the last month or so? There hasn't been much of a summer.

With that in mind, I think I'll go on vacation. I'm in need of some sun. :)

I'll post pictures when I can.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Have I mentioned that the weather here has been pretty crap for the last month or so? There hasn't been much of a summer.

With that in mind, I think I'll go on vacation. I'm in need of some sun. :)

I'll post pictures when I can.
Sounds like a good idea. Vacations are usually helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb