WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Fair point. I recall her saying that it was a possibility months ago.
From what I remember, storage, and audio are very important to Laura...plus being to root and customize. The last piece is why I asked her picking the V20.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Why the V20? My MXPE is on its way out, so I need a new phone.

I want 5.7" screen and microSD card slot support. I'm also interested in the DAC on the LG V20. The camera isn't shabby on the LG V20 either. I could also replace the battery easily.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I want 5.7" screen and microSD card slot support. I'm also interested in the DAC on the LG V20. The camera isn't shabby on the LG V20 either. I could also replace the battery easily.
Well, looks like I got a lot of that right...

The DAC + AMP is the truth. It should drive your audio equipment with NO worriesnwotu good sound. Even if you like to listen to music with the HiFi off, it is still pleasant.

My biggest complaint is LG treating the unlocked folks so-so in terms of updates. Still, if you plan to root and add things like Xposed, you're better off using the older firmwares for that. There's a solid XDA community, including a bounty up for APIs to the secondary display.

To me, it's a really good phone...for someone like me who wants to use it as is, I just wish LG was a bit better with doing updates. That's why I was asking.

I'm curious to see what software version yours is running...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ooh okay, I can understand that. It sounds like it is the ideal phone for you. I really hope that it will be a solid fit.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So here's my software gripe. Since Google switched to that monthly security updates, I'd prefer more frequent security updates moreso getting exactly every version release.

Pixels offer both, which is nice...but you pay for it. Everyone else updates whenever they get to it. Blackberry has the medium I like.

I'd honestly go to a Pixel if Google said the hardware gets 3 full years support (OS and security updates), instead of the 2 years OS and 3 years security updates bit. Problem is, nobody outside of maybe Sony over a broader range of devices is doing that much better. Blackberry is doing solid between the Priv, Key One and the DTEK phones.

As much as I like cool features, I prefer a more secure experience. Until consumers demand this, we will get this varied continual **** show in terms of updates on Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So here's my software gripe. Since Google switched to that monthly security updates, I'd prefer more frequent security updates moreso getting exactly every version release.

Pixels offer both, which is nice...but you pay for it. Everyone else updates whenever they get to it. Blackberry has the medium I like.

I'd honestly go to a Pixel if Google said the hardware gets 3 full years support (OS and security updates), instead of the 2 years OS and 3 years security updates bit. Problem is, nobody outside of maybe Sony over a broader range of devices is doing that much better. Blackberry is doing solid between the Priv, Key One and the DTEK phones.

As much as I like cool features, I prefer a more secure experience. Until consumers demand this, we will get this varied continual **** show in terms of updates on Android.

My main problems with the Pixel line are lack of microSD card support, size (the XL is only 5.5") and price.

I have no interest in physical keyboards, so no Priv or Key One for me. The DTEK phones aren't known for their cameras, and they are overpriced for the hardware that is offered.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Z² Force: I love the in-hand feel and overall design, but Lenovo is bat $&#! nuts for the price point. Waiting to exhale burning clothes in the driveway scene insane. This won't sell.
I just don't feel the Moto line is as good as it used to be now that Lenovo owns it. I had to send my MXPE back twice for warranty service in the first year, and it's on its way out now that it's 22 months old.

Additionally, Moto is worse than many other OEMs in terms of updates. The MXPE still hasn't gotten any Nougat update, and the last security update was in December 2016.

I'll avoid Lenovo for now and in the future unless there is good evidence to show that QA and updates have improved.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

A colleague got himself a Nokia6.. and he couldn't be happier as he could trade in his crappy Samsung.
It does have a feel of 950XL when I held it for a while. Thin, boxy sharp edges. The screen looks decent, and Hotel California sound loud & clear from the speakers.
Runs on Nougat. Took some shots, nothing extraordinary for a mid-range budget. Didn't like the camera UI. Guess I'm too used to the old Nokia/WP dial UI...

Don't think I'll every buy Android unless it's to accompany a drone which I have not make up my mind if I should get one. Too many NFZ popping up...
... !

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So as much as I like the Pixel and it's form factor, the screen on it just looks puny compared to what Samsung stuffed into the S8. I am going to keep the Pixel strictly for camera duty. Still not happy with the S8 camera.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My main problems with the Pixel line are lack of microSD card support, size (the XL is only 5.5") and price.

I have no interest in physical keyboards, so no Priv or Key One for me. The DTEK phones aren't known for their cameras, and they are overpriced for the hardware that is offered.
I 100% agree here.
I will say though that LG can fine tune the UI a bit more.
Although Nova or a Pixel launcher (the one I'm using on my Huawei MediaPad M3) would solve most of those issues.
Good luck Laura.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So as much as I like the Pixel and it's form factor, the screen on it just looks puny compared to what Samsung stuffed into the S8. I am going to keep the Pixel strictly for camera duty. Still not happy with the S8 camera.

Hmm that's really interesting that the Pixel screen feels smaller. I remember someone around these parts saying that they couldn't stand the ratio of the S8s. It's interesting how the experience can really vary from person to person, when it comes to this. I can get how you feel about the Pixel camera, I still really like that camera a lot.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well said.

On the consumer point, I think this totally depends on the consumer. Some care, and some don't. For me, I'm more so bothered with not having 7.0 because of one feature that I'm missing hard. As warped as it sounds, I just want the update mainly for that reason, which is set to drop sometime in next couple of weeks. For you, it's more about the security.

Honestly, I think most are not bothered as long as their apps still work. I like the way that Sony does it as well too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb