WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

That's just terrifying. Yes I have seen it before, but only in power outages after dark when I'm home. Seeing that outside like that is something I can't wrap my head around. I can but trying to imagine how that is and how it felt, especially in a place like NYC.
They had the same issues I saw in the unlit lower Manhattan that I experienced during Gilbert...the lack of power had people running low on basic supplies and there was minor looting and the most vulnerable rummaged through garbage for food at one point.

Yes, that post Apocalypse film looking, except for intact buildings. Yep, NYC in that corner of the city at least, down down and dirty. College Point was just as bad, and they had the building devastation to back it up.

I remember that night too where in midtown you literally cross one avenue that was normally lit to another that was in total darkness. It was...intense.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I wouldn't have expected for you to feel that way about the battery life still. I figured as much for the rest though. Questions for you: Do you regret getting a second battery now? Also if you could go back in time, would you stop yourself from buying that or no?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that both you and Laura got extra ones.
I don't regret getting a secondary battery. It's not the battery swapping that's annoying per se, it's the fact that the software isn't as up to date and tuned as it should be to get the most of the device.

I know Laura has a different experience. However, for me, standby times is very good but once you start to use it, battery runs. I know I'm not using appropriate software...but I'm not sure if LG will tune this the right way for 8.0.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...oogleapis.com/auth/chrome-content-suggestions

A very good read. It is something i could argue that highlights the troubles the current president has in reaching his CEO friends to try to bring jobs back, something that impacts OEMs interest in software updates, among other things...

It really was, thank you for sharing. I didn't know that Kodak was like that back then. I have always heard that it isn't so easy to just "bring jobs back" and I had an idea of a reason why but this shows how it seems to start with the actual company.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

They had the same issues I saw in the unlit lower Manhattan that I experienced during Gilbert...the lack of power had people running low on basic supplies and there was minor looting and the most vulnerable rummaged through garbage for food at one point.

Yes, that post Apocalypse film looking, except for intact buildings. Yep, NYC in that corner of the city at least, down down and dirty. College Point was just as bad, and they had the building devastation to back it up.

I remember that night too where in midtown you literally cross one avenue that was normally lit to another that was in total darkness. It was...intense.
It's been 25 years but you brought back memories from Andrew. I guess the difference is that the buildings in Manhattan stayed while South Dade County was flattened. It took 3 weeks to get power back and some places even longer. Personally, I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another hurricane again. Andrew, Charley, Frances, Jeanne and Wilma are names that conjure up bad feels.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's been 25 years but you brought back memories from Andrew. I guess the difference is that the buildings in Manhattan stayed while South Dade County was flattened. It took 3 weeks to get power back and some places even longer. Personally, I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing another hurricane again. Andrew, Charley, Frances, Jeanne and Wilma are names that conjure up bad feels.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
Well, my apologies. Watching the Harvey coverage caused me to flash back to both Gilbert and Sandy. That sort of stuff you don't really forget as easily for sure come this time of year.

Those storms you listed were dreadful... especially Andrew.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

On a more positive note, I'm glad to be off tomorrow. It's been such a whirlwind at work I needed a day to sit and process a few things. It's been OK so far...just a lot to learn, unlearn and adjust to...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

On a more positive note, I'm glad to be off tomorrow. It's been such a whirlwind at work I needed a day to sit and process a few things. It's been OK so far...just a lot to learn, unlearn and adjust to...

That's awesome! Enjoy the day \o/

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm spending Labor Day doing anything but labor. If getting out of bed involves labor, cancel that too.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So you might have noticed I haven't exactly been posting much. I've been busy, both at home and at work. Thought I'd give everyone a quick update.

- Just received notice that my UK residency has been approved. This means that I could apply for citizenship if I wanted to but I don't think I will. The cost of it just isn't worth it to me. This allows a small backup plan as well if things don't go well in France in the next two years.

- Speaking of France, things had a bit of a slow down with the house but appear to be moving again. We're expecting the contract to show up in the next week or so. If things go as planned we should have the house by December. Basically the same time we move from the UK.

- Our house in the UK is moving along. No hiccups as of yet so it looks like smooth sailing. We have the evaluator stopping by today (standard practice for selling a house in the UK). So after this I assume the contract will show up sometime soon after.

- We ordered our packing stuff and we're contacting a removalist who appears to have a good price. We would move ourselves but this seems like the better choice. Both from a scheduling and budget perspective.

- We've booked our temporary accommodation in France for the first two months. I may have mentioned the property we bought needs some TLC. So this will allow us to assess things better and get prices for things.

- Our nephew and his wife and his sister are dropping by around Christmas so that will be nice. Our nephew said he'd happily help but not to expect much because he has issues hanging a picture on a wall... we do have some demolition tasks to do...

- Lastly, I have a pre-interview phone call with a company in Paris this Thursday. This was supposed to happen last Friday. There is no job but it's a 'possibility'.

At this point in time it doesn't matter about a job in Paris or any job for that matter as we're unsure of costs and timelines. So we're going to see how things play out. We're moving forward with wanting to get out of the rat race and be independent so we'll concentrate on that as we learn more about what options we have for everything.

So, come the end of November, I'm moving to France. I can't say much else after that. LOL!

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So you might have noticed I haven't exactly been posting much. I've been busy, both at home and at work. Thought I'd give everyone a quick update.

- Just received notice that my UK residency has been approved. This means that I could apply for citizenship if I wanted to but I don't think I will. The cost of it just isn't worth it to me. This allows a small backup plan as well if things don't go well in France in the next two years.

- Speaking of France, things had a bit of a slow down with the house but appear to be moving again. We're expecting the contract to show up in the next week or so. If things go as planned we should have the house by December. Basically the same time we move from the UK.

- Our house in the UK is moving along. No hiccups as of yet so it looks like smooth sailing. We have the evaluator stopping by today (standard practice for selling a house in the UK). So after this I assume the contract will show up sometime soon after.

- We ordered our packing stuff and we're contacting a removalist who appears to have a good price. We would move ourselves but this seems like the better choice. Both from a scheduling and budget perspective.

- We've booked our temporary accommodation in France for the first two months. I may have mentioned the property we bought needs some TLC. So this will allow us to assess things better and get prices for things.

- Our nephew and his wife and his sister are dropping by around Christmas so that will be nice. Our nephew said he'd happily help but not to expect much because he has issues hanging a picture on a wall... we do have some demolition tasks to do...

- Lastly, I have a pre-interview phone call with a company in Paris this Thursday. This was supposed to happen last Friday. There is no job but it's a 'possibility'.

At this point in time it doesn't matter about a job in Paris or any job for that matter as we're unsure of costs and timelines. So we're going to see how things play out. We're moving forward with wanting to get out of the rat race and be independent so we'll concentrate on that as we learn more about what options we have for everything.

So, come the end of November, I'm moving to France. I can't say much else after that. LOL!

I have noticed and I have wondered if you're alright. Whoa you have a lot going on. I wish you the best with the houses (in regards to the contracts and everything involved), the pre-interview phone call, the removalist and the other moving parts right now and to come.

You and your wife are brave to do such a change. I know you'll probably say that you have done parts of this process before but still. Change is hard and it seems like you two are taking it head on. Congrats on the UK residency. Choice is good to have.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad things are going well for you. That's incredibly brave to me! I cannot imagine moving to a country in which I don't speak its language. I'd have a hard time even buying things in a store.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Found this today, off the beaten track at a campground in Angeles National Forest.
It works!!!
b3236f8bbc531a3070fc093f126dd3e0.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Been wanting to drive this area for a few years. Finally got a chance to do it today. Some nice twisty old highways in the Angeles National Forest.
d3cbc01e745c40da8fdeebb072575e7d.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786