WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm glad things are going well for you. That's incredibly brave to me! I cannot imagine moving to a country in which I don't speak its language. I'd have a hard time even buying things in a store.

You'd be surprised how quickly you learn things when you live somewhere. Usually out of need. :)

Also Google Translate is very helpful.

When you decide to travel to the UK (I'm being positive here because I think you should and will), definitely go to France. Sure, go to Paris, but I highly recommend getting out to a smaller town. There's also the Loire Valley. :)

In France you typically need to know three words for a person visiting, hello, goodbye and thank you. French people are big on politeness and if go into a shop or cafe and the staff say hello, reply back and you'll have a good experience.

There are three ways of saying hello in French so it's best to go with whatever the person says to you and you reply back the same.

Also, you know a lot more French than you think. There are a lot of French words in the English language (some people may think this is the other way around). The Normans (French) invaded England and left their legacy.

The other key words to know is - boulangerie (bakery), patissiere (pastry shop) and boucher (butcher). This is still the norm in France though there are large grocery stores as well.

What I've found with travelling, in general, as tourist, show some respect for where you are and you'll have a great time, even in those places that people report on being 'rude', which gets said a lot about Paris. 90% of the time, the person complaining is the problem and all it takes is a little politeness on their part to make things easier for themselves and the person they're dealing with.

As I always see it, you're a person visiting another country, probably unfamiliar with norms of the country. You should not assume anything, even if you are paying certain amounts of money or whatever.

I do know some French having grown up in Canada and taken French lessons when younger, it is rusty and it does help but even my wife picks up things as quickly. The best way to learn though is to be there. Which is why we haven't bothered with French lessons here.

It will be interesting though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Once 99 jogged my memory, I believe it was you and Bigpaddy who sported red 920s. I had a white one (which I sent to my dad; ended up with a blue one way later I shipped to my friend's dad). I think Rue's was black.

Yep, it's black. I still have it. Along with the Z3.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm so happy to be back at work. Sitting at our barstools this morning at 6AM with my boss and 2 of my PMs enjoying our "cafecitos" when the news flash hits the screen. Hurricane Irma is now a Cat 5 with 175 mph winds and South Flori-Duh is well within the "cone". My house has accordion shutters so my storm prep is about 10 minutes including bringing in the bikes and the grill from the rear patio. But we have 15 projects with paranoid GCs that apparently have never been through a storm and they're hysterical. I'm gonna be busy the next few days. Lord help the congregation and pass the whiskey.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm so happy to be back at work. Sitting at our barstools this morning at 6AM with my boss and 2 of my PMs enjoying our "cafecitos" when the news flash hits the screen. Hurricane Irma is now a Cat 5 with 175 mph winds and South Flori-Duh is well within the "cone". My house has accordion shutters so my storm prep is about 10 minutes including bringing in the bikes and the grill from the rear patio. But we have 15 projects with paranoid GCs that apparently have never been through a storm and they're hysterical. I'm gonna be busy the next few days. Lord help the congregation and pass the whiskey.
All the best with that. I'm watching this storm very, very closely.

I think sadly, very strong hurricanes will become part the course. I hope I'm wrong, but won't be surprised if that's the case.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Running Oreo on my Pixel. Got it via OTA update today. Used my unlimited data plan on TMO to download it during lunch since work WiFi sucks.

So far so good. Not really happy with the emoji icons on Oreo.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, I went by the old department today...and I am glad that I did. Got some positive comments from most people and a jilted lover look from the medical director there. It's a closed chapter now. I can visit periodically conscience free now.

Didn't see the old supervisor nor was I looking for her either.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I just love how people with prototypes are crying about bad display issues on the V30.

For someone with a prototype now running production software, I'll be honest and say that these concerns are semi valid. People should remember these pre production units are showcase only and sometimes you get a bad unit.

I'd be more concerned if these were retail units. But with this being tech, bad units from Mass production comes with the territory.

In other words, to me it's much Ado about nothing.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Got a boatload of Chinese Android devices today. I will post pictures of some interesting ones tomorrow.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Battery life on the Pixel on Oreo is superb!
14 hours off charger, 3+ hrs SOT, 43% left. And I have absolutely garbage signal at work. This is way better than the S8.
I am impressed!
43575fcd741d408d349ee9538aa9042b.jpg

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

All the best with that. I'm watching this storm very, very closely.

I think sadly, very strong hurricanes will become part the course. I hope I'm wrong, but won't be surprised if that's the case.

We really didn't get hit by Harvey in San Antonio, however, the aftermath is/was bad. Last week a couple of gas stations ran out of gas and the news media, in their infinite wisdom, reported on it and jumped to the conclusion that there was a gas shortage. That report caused people to freak out and raid the gas stations, which in turn created a gas shortage. People were lining up at the pumps so bad they were creating traffic jams trying to get into the packed stations. Anyhow, 1 week later and the pumps are still not up to normal yet, but getting there. Keep seeing pictures in social media of dip-****s filling up their tank and 5 or six gas cans as well, buying more than they need and screwing over everyone else.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

We really didn't get hit by Harvey in San Antonio, however, the aftermath is/was bad. Last week a couple of gas stations ran out of gas and the news media, in their infinite wisdom, reported on it and jumped to the conclusion that there was a gas shortage. That report caused people to freak out and raid the gas stations, which in turn created a gas shortage. People were lining up at the pumps so bad they were creating traffic jams trying to get into the packed stations. Anyhow, 1 week later and the pumps are still not up to normal yet, but getting there. Keep seeing pictures in social media of dip-****s filling up their tank and 5 or six gas cans as well, buying more than they need and screwing over everyone else.

I feel ya. I'm going through it right now with Irma. My wife showed me a ghetto-ness I didn't know she had in her when some biotch in an Escalade tried to cut in front of her at a gas station this morning. It was classic!!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, it looks like I could get a nice condition Sony XZ for under $300. Do I want one? No. But, it's nice to see I can find one at that price.

I saw the XZ in person, and Rue's take aside, I wasn't impressed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

All this talk of Google potentially buying out (or turning them back into a ODM) HTC makes me sad. HTC will always have a soft spot, but the OEM game is too brutal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs