WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So, it looks like I could get a nice condition Sony XZ for under $300. Do I want one? No. But, it's nice to see I can find one at that price.

I saw the XZ in person, and Rue's take aside, I wasn't impressed.
As the saying goes, to reach their own. :)

I have no complaints but then I don't have the same requirements as other people.

I actually like the Sony design I know many people don't.

Are Sony phones perfect? No, they can be better. But for the price I paid for a good solid phone I'm happy enough.

My only take from most phones this year is how expensive they're all getting for essentially very little advancement.

Will I stick with Sony in the future? I don't know.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I feel ya. I'm going through it right now with Irma. My wife showed me a ghetto-ness I didn't know she had in her when some biotch in an Escalade tried to cut in front of her at a gas station this morning. It was classic!!

I'm glad that it seems like you are ok. I was thinking of you with that hurricane.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

As the saying goes, to reach their own. :)

I have no complaints but then I don't have the same requirements as other people.

I actually like the Sony design I know many people don't.

Are Sony phones perfect? No, they can be better. But for the price I paid for a good solid phone I'm happy enough.

My only take from most phones this year is how expensive they're all getting for essentially very little advancement.

Will I stick with Sony in the future? I don't know.

I have to give props to Sony for continuing to not only choose to make phones that are massive (to me, of course). That always makes them interesting to me. A lot of these OEMs are just making bigger phones, which is fine, but as the only choice is lame. And then if they do make a smaller phone, it has weaker specs. I like that they (Sony) still believe in choice.

Motorola is trying, and I'll give them that. The E4 is the closest size I would take of theirs, but too low spec for me. Aside from them, it seems like almost everyone else has opted out.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So what have been the most interesting ones? And since you know I'll probably ask, any small ones?

I like the Elephone P8 and Umidigi Z1 Pro and Meizu Pro 7 Plus.

The Elephone is red and resembles the HTC 10 from last year. Besides camera, it is a solid device. Stripped down stock AOSP with even fewer apps than Pixel. Only bare bones Google Apps.

The Umidigi Z1 Pro is an Android clone of the iPhone 7 Plus. Same camera gripe otherwise a solid device with a big battery.

The Meizu 7 Plus Pro is a premium device. Has a small screen at the back whose functionality I am not so sure about. The build quality is superb and the camera on this device isn't shabby at all. But it is a big device, bigger than the iPhone 7 Plus since it is a 5.7" screen device with big bezels.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So what have been the most interesting ones? And since you know I'll probably ask, any small ones?

In the small device category there are 4 devices, all with a 5 inch screen.

Gretel A9 - Typical run of the mill device. Nothing to write home about.
Blackview A9 Pro - Same as Gretel but with USB-C and a slightly better build quality.
Oukitel K 4000 - Same processor/RAM as the first two but with a 4000 mAh battery that should run at least 2 days if not more for a small screen. Also has it's own skin which is strange since other higher battery capacity versions have switched to stock Android.

My favorite though is the Meizu m5C. This is a premium feeling 5 inch screen device. I have always liked the build quality of Meizu products going back to 2014.

Hope these helps.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I like the Elephone P8 and Umidigi Z1 Pro and Meizu Pro 7 Plus.

The Elephone is red and resembles the HTC 10 from last year. Besides camera, it is a solid device. Stripped down stock AOSP with even fewer apps than Pixel. Only bare bones Google Apps.

The Umidigi Z1 Pro is an Android clone of the iPhone 7 Plus. Same camera gripe otherwise a solid device with a big battery.

The Meizu 7 Plus Pro is a premium device. Has a small screen at the back whose functionality I am not so sure about. The build quality is superb and the camera on this device isn't shabby at all. But it is a big device, bigger than the iPhone 7 Plus since it is a 5.7" screen device with big bezels.

Wow, they all sound interesting, considering the range you have shared here. Surprised to hear that the Elephone has less apps than the Pixel. Who would have thought?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

In the small device category there are 4 devices, all with a 5 inch screen.

Gretel A9 - Typical run of the mill device. Nothing to write home about.
Blackview A9 Pro - Same as Gretel but with USB-C and a slightly better build quality.
Oukitel K 4000 - Same processor/RAM as the first two but with a 4000 mAh battery that should run at least 2 days if not more for a small screen. Also has it's own skin which is strange since other higher battery capacity versions have switched to stock Android.

My favorite though is the Meizu m5C. This is a premium feeling 5 inch screen device. I have always liked the build quality of Meizu products going back to 2014.

Hope these helps.

It does, thanks! I have heard of the Meizu brand but not the others. I'm curious so I'll do my searching to see how these look like.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It does, thanks! I have heard of the Meizu brand but not the others. I'm curious so I'll do my searching to see how these look like.
Meizu m5c and 7 Pro Plus side by side.
3dca870251affb83b110c7f86b860ca7.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Here's the collection of 5" screen devices
Can't even tell them apart. I think they all buy the LCD panel from one supplier, lol!
ea26be282611235545ec2eb4ce71ff1c.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad that it seems like you are ok. I was thinking of you with that hurricane.
Thank you sweetie. Zero hour is still about 24-36 hours away but each update puts it slightly to our west. Not a direct eyewall strike but we're still going to be in the "dirty" side of the storm and may still get Cat 2 or Cat 3 winds. It's so much bigger than Andrew was so even a glancing blow from the eye will cause major damage.

Don't get too complacent, the 2:00 advisory shows a Cat 1 going through the ATL region Tuesday or Wednesday.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Thank you sweetie. Zero hour is still about 24-36 hours away but each update puts it slightly to our west. Not a direct eyewall strike but we're still going to be in the "dirty" side of the storm and may still get Cat 2 or Cat 3 winds. It's so much bigger than Andrew was so even a glancing blow from the eye will cause major damage.

Don't get too complacent, the 2:00 advisory shows a Cat 1 going through the ATL region Tuesday or Wednesday.
Stay safe!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to all the well-wishers out there, it's always humbling to see this kind of support from people I don't know personally.

My prep is just about done and I'm chillin' for a while until this oppressive heat dies down a little. But now I'm thinking, what could be worse? Hurricanes and the stifling heat before and especially after or winter storms, Nor'Easters and such? Correct me if I'm wrong but in the northern sections most houses use gas appliances that aren't affected by power outages and fuel oil for heating. Down here, we're so effed when the power goes out for weeks like when Andrew paid a discourteous visit. I imagine northerners can still stay warm and cook food, take showers and other daily things we take for granted. How 'bout it? Which would you take, comfy in the house for days or weeks while it's freezing outside.....or living in a sauna and sweating like a w***e in church for days or weeks?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ahh wow. I keep seeing the projections and it doesn't look pleasant. Glad that you have prepped, and you're welcome. As Laura said, stay safe please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb