WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Here's another... before I shut off the phone for the landing safety procedures
(just curious, in your country/region you still have to switch off your phones when the plane wants to land?)

Po5unUH.jpg

Wanted to post (using mTalk) a shot in portrait mode.. But the pict comes out garbled.
Wonder if it's just mTalk problem.

... !

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure if I have seen his speech that went viral.

Anyway, I do have some comments about what he said. He has valid points but I don't totally agree with all of them.

His comment about the participation trophies is so true. I played softball for like 6 years when I was little. Our team basically won 1 game a year and we were given those. It's sad that I found myself getting used to the trophy. At least for that. Didn't get one in another local competition (not sports related) kind of thing I did for 2 years. I don't remember how I felt about that.

The point about the phone thing at meetings and at outings, I'm part guilty. I see that in other coworkers at meetings. My phone stays in my pocket or my purse for the most part if I'm with people that I want to be with. I look forward to just having conversations and hanging out in person. My phone is the last thing on my mind. However if it's something I don't want to do, or I am not around familiar people, I'm totally on my phone and yes with the social media. I try to pause it though.

The point about the stresses of life is true. I'll rather not get into it deeply but my parents undermined my emotions a lot. It messed with me that on tv I would see children talk to their parents about what happened at school when it comes to the bad things and when I would tell my mom what happened, her reaction was always "why are you crying about that?" There was no trying to understand me. So I stopped. To this day, I only talk to her about certain things. Never anything emotional.

Fortunately, I had my sister and I talked to her a lot about stuff until she went away to college. Then I felt far away from her and I didn't want to disturb her so I didn't call when going through middle school (we are 6 years apart) and high school stuff. I also made a few best friends too, which was nice until they literally moved away and I was back to square one.

He is right on the point of suicide. I have been around that block 2 times in my life. Notably, these were also times I felt away from my sister too. In regards to relationships, there's a point there. I see it too. He is on the money about friends. I feel like most of my friends are that way. They are a good time but I can't talk to any of them about anything I'm struggling with. For me, I find that I desire a deeper friendship more than I desire a romantic relationship. I have tried with some of them and not much comes out of it. Not even about patience, they just aren't as interested in doing that with me. Some of them do it with each other though. They are decent people though, which is why I still bother to do things with them but I don't expect much anymore.

In regards to work, I can't relate at all or agree. I like acknowledgement but not for the basic stuff. I like my job. It's a great launch pad. Indifferent about the impact thing though personally. Friends have left jobs because of the work environment and less about making an impact.

He is on about the social media thing though. I can't use Facebook anymore for that reason. I start comparing and using energy wondering why someone didn't reply to my post or status even though I reply to theirs. It's very unhealthy for me. Even decreasing the friends list doesn't make that go away. On the others I use, which are Twitter and Instagram, this doesn't happen at all.
To be fair, I do feel some kind of way when I reply to someone on Twitter and they don't acknowledge it but they acknowledge other people who replied after me but fortunately I don't follow many people like that. On Instagram, I'm more of a viewer than a poster. It is nice when people like when I occasionally post but I don't expect it in the way I expect replies on Twitter.

Sorry for the really long post. I didn't expect it to be so long.
Thanks for sharing. It's one of the reasons why I ended up doing this post.

https://rumbaradvice.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/you-cant-blame-the-youth/

There's a lot he said I still question. But a truth I agreed with and what this guy hinted to was that some of the older generation didn't do millennials much favors with how they were raised. But, it still is now up to millennials to find their way in the world.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

(just curious, in your country/region you still have to switch off your phones when the plane wants to land?)

https://i.imgur.com/Po5unUH.jpg

Wanted to post (using mTalk) a shot in portrait mode.. But the pict comes out garbled.

... !

Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

... !
It's mTalk. I've had the same issues.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

... !
Wow that's a beautiful shot!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for sharing. It's one of the reasons why I ended up doing this post.

https://rumbaradvice.wordpress.com/2017/09/14/you-cant-blame-the-youth/

There's a lot he said I still question. But a truth I agreed with and what this guy hinted to was that some of the older generation didn't do millennials much favors with how they were raised. But, it still is now up to millennials to find their way in the world.
Ooh okay, that makes sense. I remember reading it but I can't recall my reaction. I'll have to reread it again now in this context.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ooh okay, that makes sense. I remember reading it but I can't recall my reaction. I'll have to reread it again now in this context.
Sounds good. Now I'm even more curious about your thoughts.

I took the stance of what has happening with the older folks while rearing millennials when I wrote this. It was always something that bothered me...this seemingly disconnected attitude and over correction of some things. Makes me wonder at times if I have the chops to raise kids in a world filled with so much things I don't always agree with...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Using the 950XL is one of the most beautifully frustrating experiences I have.

Beautiful for the look and feel of the OS; frustrating for how if you stay outside the basics, the experience falls flat quickly.
There have been times where I decided I just want to go to the XL just to unplug a little bit from Android...and then I remember how bad the battery life is due to that 810 chip and it's just frustration.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sounds good. Now I'm even more curious about your thoughts.

I took the stance of what has happening with the older folks while rearing millennials when I wrote this. It was always something that bothered me...this seemingly disconnected attitude and over correction of some things. Makes me wonder at times if I have the chops to raise kids in a world filled with so much things I don't always agree with...

Yeah that sounds like a heavy thing to consider.

Okay, I reread it and I can see the connection between what the guy said and what you said. I do agree with several of your points, including the rose-colored glasses view of the good old days and general moaning about how millennials do things without showing or at least telling us (when I say us, I mean myself and people slightly older, along with those 10 years younger...who are now full blown adults, ah I feel old after typing that).

You're really on the money about treating them like people. In fact, it really annoys me when someone decides not to do that just because of how someone appears to be. I do think that should be a basic thing to do at the minimum.

I can't help but wonder what are some of the things you meant about millennial culture that you aren't a fan of.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking recently of trying my 950XL for a week. Maybe I should do that now with all the hubbub about Bluetooth exploit...

...nah, I'll save for Thanksgiving week instead. I'll just use my watch and phone unpaired.

That sucks though. It really does. And it highlights the idea that I don't like in Android. I should be able to have a phone with better software updates other than Google or TCL's Blackberry (and Sony for their newer devices).

I don't care as much about software updates as I do security ones. If, say LG, said we'll do monthly security updates but quarterly software upgrades, I'd be down for that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I was thinking recently of trying my 950XL for a week. Maybe I should do that now with all the hubbub about Bluetooth exploit...

...nah, I'll save for Thanksgiving week instead. I'll just use my watch and phone unpaired.

That sucks though. It really does. And it highlights the idea that I don't like in Android. I should be able to have a phone with better software updates other than Google or TCL's Blackberry (and Sony for their newer devices).

I don't care as much about software updates as I do security ones. If, say LG, said we'll do monthly security updates but quarterly software upgrades, I'd be down for that.
I think Moto was trying to do the monthly security updates and quarterly software updates. But with their proclivity to abandon newer phones, coupled with their so-so camera performance, I'm staying away from their phones (even though hardware wise, I'd try a Z or X4).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think it's important how situations can impact phone usage.

For instance, due to the new job, I'm not on my personal phone a lot. I'm more inclined to use the iPhone more for one reason - responding to work emails. I use my V20 now briefly during breaks, but mostly during my commute for audio. At home, I use my Z3 tablet compact a ton. I've noticed even during the last few years I'm not on my phone as much as I used to be. It's kinda why I always liked WP, it had that glance and go mentality and design to the UX.

I'd like to upgrade the V20 from a camera and audio POV. But, I have to make sure that these are features I really plan to use to get the best of the purchase.

The Bluetooth​ issue really annoys me because it affects the reason why I'm using a smartwatch - to reduce my need to be on the phone a lot by triaging important content at a glance. With Google not really doing security updates for wear 1.5, it puts me in a awkward position of thinking about upgrading to software I don't like in order to get the best in a secure manner.

Lots to think about.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that sounds like a heavy thing to consider.

Okay, I reread it and I can see the connection between what the guy said and what you said. I do agree with several of your points, including the rose-colored glasses view of the good old days and general moaning about how millennials do things without showing or at least telling us (when I say us, I mean myself and people slightly older, along with those 10 years younger...who are now full blown adults, ah I feel old after typing that).

You're really on the money about treating them like people. In fact, it really annoys me when someone decides not to do that just because of how someone appears to be. I do think that should be a basic thing to do at the minimum.

I can't help but wonder what are some of the things you meant about millennial culture that you aren't a fan of.
Namely the sense of entitlement and lack of patience due to the pervasive instant gratification perspective.

Other than that, I like millennials.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Namely the sense of entitlement and lack of patience due to the pervasive instant gratification perspective.

Other than that, I like millennials.
I don't think it's so much the entitlement aspect as the lack of ownership. It's always someone else's fault. We as parents have failed our kids because we wanted to give our kids everything we didn't have as kids. In doing so we forgot to teach our kids that everything comes with a price tag. Those iPhones don't fall off trees, mommy and daddy have to bust their tails off and put up with a ton of excrement for these things to happen.

This is not a blanket indictment of all Millennials, just a generalization. There are some some kickass old-school parents who handle their business.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't think it's so much the entitlement aspect as the lack of ownership. It's always someone else's fault. We as parents have failed our kids because we wanted to give our kids everything we didn't have as kids. In doing so we forgot to teach our kids that everything comes with a price tag. Those iPhones don't fall off trees, mommy and daddy have to bust their tails off and put up with a ton of excrement for these things to happen.

This is not a blanket indictment of all Millennials, just a generalization. There are some some kickass old-school parents who handle their business.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk
It's entitlement based on a lack of ownership. It's what the dude was saying where when you give out medals for participating and coming in last, you're not owning your performance. You can come in last for different reasons, but you own your performance and use the failures to work harder at getting better.

We had to earn the most important things we used over time - house, cars, luxury items. Some millennials because of having easier access to those resources as their floors may lack that appreciation and work ethic for things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo