WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's entitlement based on a lack of ownership. It's what the dude was saying where when you give out medals for participating and coming in last, you're not owning your performance. You can come in last for different reasons, but you own your performance and use the failures to work harder at getting better.

We had to earn the most important things we used over time - house, cars, luxury items. Some millennials because of having easier access to those resources as their floors may lack that appreciation and work ethic for things.

But the point is it's not their fault, it's ours, and technology, and other factors that groomed them this way. We had to learn a different way. We didn't have Google, we had the card catalog at the library. We need to, in organizations and elsewhere, help them learn about working for things over time, etc. Your point about ownership is a good one, and a lesson that will give them important tools going forward.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I don't think it's so much the entitlement aspect as the lack of ownership. It's always someone else's fault. We as parents have failed our kids because we wanted to give our kids everything we didn't have as kids. In doing so we forgot to teach our kids that everything comes with a price tag. Those iPhones don't fall off trees, mommy and daddy have to bust their tails off and put up with a ton of excrement for these things to happen.

This is not a blanket indictment of all Millennials, just a generalization. There are some some kickass old-school parents who handle their business.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Agree.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

But the point is it's not their fault, it's ours, and technology, and other factors that groomed them this way. We had to learn a different way. We didn't have Google, we had the card catalog at the library. We need to, in organizations and elsewhere, help them learn about working for things over time, etc. Your point about ownership is a good one, and a lesson that will give them important tools going forward.
Well, it's past trying to figure out and confirm whose fault it was. I stated in my blog post that some of the older people (especially in minorities of color) we're unavailable to parent for a variety of reasons.

My work with millennials tells me that they are thoughtful, passionate and still value mentorship. But if you don't know how to treat them with respect and speak their language, you won't get far.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well, it's past trying to figure out and confirm whose fault it was. I stated in my blog post that some of the older people (especially in minorities of color) we're unavailable to parent for a variety of reasons.

My work with millennials tells me that they are thoughtful, passionate and still value mentorship. But if you don't know how to treat them with respect and speak their language, you won't get far.

That's very true. Don't we have to know our employees to engage them though, no matter what generation? We're all different.

You're also correct that not all parents had a fair shake. We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened. It becomes society's challenge to mentor our younger population if we are going to be successful. Not easy but not impossible either.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's very true. Don't we have to know our employees to engage them though, no matter what generation? We're all different.

You're also correct that not all parents had a fair shake. We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened. It becomes society's challenge to mentor our younger population if we are going to be successful. Not easy but not impossible either.
Agreed. But like many things, the US has this contrary/Trump-esque idea on handling certain issues. For example, on the one hand the justice system typically doesn't like to issue adult sentences to juveniles because of the idea that they have their lives ahead of them to change. Yet, we don't cover maternity leave in a paid way to allow parents to have time to rear their kids or offer affordable and easier to access after school programs to keep kids safe.

So don't throw the book at them when they commit crimes, but don't occupy their time with meaningful instructions to keep them away from the streets and other poor influences where trouble lies?

Yup, makes total sense.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Speaking as a minority and 1st generation immigrant I can tell you it's been harder on us. The grief my generation gets from our "old world" parents is maddening. "That's NOT how we raised you and your brother" is a phrase I'd like stricken from recorded history for all time. My response (and my wife's) is always the same - "you'd slash your wrists if you had to deal with this now". I remember George Lopez touching on this topic during one of his specials and it hits close to home as a Latino. He said kids today wouldn't last a day in our time and I agree.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. But like many things, the US has this contrary/Trump-esque idea on handling certain issues. For example, on the one hand the justice system typically doesn't like to issue adult sentences to juveniles because of the idea that they have their lives ahead of them to change. Yet, we don't cover maternity leave in a paid way to allow parents to have time to rear their kids or offer affordable and easier to access after school programs to keep kids safe.

So don't throw the book at them when they commit crimes, but don't occupy their time with meaningful instructions to keep them away from the streets and other poor influences where trouble lies?

Yup, makes total sense.

That's because a lot of the people that make those decisions give themselves all the credit for where they are. They don't believe they had any luck or nurturing along the way. They don't believe in community, they believe in "me".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

We have more single parents and wage disparity has widened.
I have an insane amount of respect for single parents. Add on the epidemic proportion of autistic and other special needs children and the number increases exponentially. The divorce rate among our group is over 84% the last time I checked. It saddens me every year when the school year starts and the parent/teacher conferences kick off that I'm usually the only father present. We got some work to do in this society and some changes need to happen and that right soon.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Speaking as a minority and 1st generation immigrant I can tell you it's been harder on us. The grief my generation gets from our "old world" parents is maddening. "That's NOT how we raised you and your brother" is a phrase I'd like stricken from recorded history for all time. My response (and my wife's) is always the same - "you'd slash your wrists if you had to deal with this now". I remember George Lopez touching on this topic during one of his specials and it hits close to home as a Latino. He said kids today wouldn't last a day in our time and I agree.
I agree. It is always harder on minorities. Still, the truth is I'm glad I was raised when I was. If I was growning up now I'd be in all sorts of negativity and ultimately a statistic.

Someone has to make the adjust to the changing times. There's just been a breakdown in ownership across the board and it just makes the whole thing toxic.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's because a lot of the people that make those decisions give themselves all the credit for where they are. They don't believe they had any luck or nurturing along the way. They don't believe in community, they believe in "me".
That's because of the like that's been told for eons in American culture where success is solely built on individual effort. The reality is Americans are some of the more communally driven people around. It's just that when they balance that right mix of communal efforts and individual inspiration, extraordinary results occur.

At least, that's my take anyways.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have an insane amount of respect for single parents. Add on the epidemic proportion of autistic and other special needs children and the number increases exponentially. The divorce rate among our group is over 84% the last time I checked. It saddens me every year when the school year starts and the parent/teacher conferences kick off that I'm usually the only father present. We got some work to do in this society and some changes need to happen and that right soon.
It's tough caring for special needs children, and I have great respect for you in doing that.

To me, it's just what values are important...how to weed out the horse manure that the images in the media feed people. Not everyone has that skill or wants to, quite frankly.

For a nation with the highest GDP, we sure have a lot of difficult social problems we don't want to spend money on smartly to fix...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Update was successful. It's MIUI 9 on 7.0 running Aug 2017 security patch. I goofed by not doing the local back up before instead of after the update. It does feel sluggish which means...factory reset is likely needed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Update was successful. It's MIUI 9 on 7.0 running Aug 2017 security patch. I goofed by not doing the local back up before instead of after the update. It does feel sluggish which means...factory reset is likely needed.

That's a bummer about it feeling sluggish but I'm glad to hear that it worked! Yay! I hope the issues that you mentioned having with the Mi Note 2 will be resolved.

Also looking forward to your general impressions with it running 7.0. Will you use it as your daily personal phone?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's a bummer about it feeling sluggish but I'm glad to hear that it worked! Yay! I hope the issues that you mentioned having with the Mi Note 2 will be resolved.

Also looking forward to your general impressions with it running 7.0. Will you use it as your daily personal phone?
I might, to see if the call bug exists where I cannot use wired headphones. If it works flawlessly, I'll have a tough decision on my hands...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Sorry to hear you'll need to do a factory reset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium