WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Sorry to hear you'll need to do a factory reset.
Yeah. I don't want to do it, but I may just do so to make things easier and get a better baseline. We'll see how I feel first.

Now that I'm on 7.0, I'm curious to see if the weekly updates will continue.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So I listened to that video.

Though I'm most definitely not considered a 'millennial' I have had a few discussions with them, my three nephews and two nieces.

I would say that I agree with a large portion of the talk. Though as always there's exceptions to the generalisations presented in it.

The one point I found most interesting is how he felt that companies need to be more invested in helping millennials out. I have to agree with this, well I think companies need to do more for their employees in general but I know most companies have taken on this idea of 'you sort it out' mentality.

I can of course use my own company as 'part of the problem' in this. Well in companies in general are a problem in themselves but that's a whole conversation on it's own but I think what I'll say will probably translate over.

So, I may have mentioned this before, I work for a large EPCM, (Engineering Procurement Construction Management) company. Though 'E' is the first letter, what I can tell you that most companies like mine are doing everything in their power to do more of the other three because there's less risk involved.

My industry has changed a lot in the short time I've been working in it (if you want to call 20 years short). We do a lot of what's called 'offshoring' of our services using 'value centres' for our engineering and some other activities. My job for the most part equates to supervision of value centre employees and checking. I don't really do design or engineering anymore. Main reason of course is 'money'. That's the reason for this. We are pushing engineering to India, China and the Philippines because it's cheaper. While reducing the staff in western offices.

So it's of no surprise that our company is bleeding young staff. We've lost 8 engineering graduates this year so far. Basically one a month. Why? For the most part, because we're not offering engineering as they envisioned. I feel sorry for any young engineer getting stuck on the project I'm on, for example, and yes I use the term 'stuck'. Large projects are horrible for learning anything on. There's a distinct lack of practical experience as well.

My company wants young staff because they're starting to lose senior staff to retirement. However, my industry has been horrible at getting new staff in the first place, years without any investment whatsoever. Then when they get them they offer the poorest experience for anyone. Who wants to graduate as an engineer and push paper around and 'check' other people's work? Not any bright graduate who wants to learn. Keeping in mind how low the amount of students there are interested in engineering as well.

My company talks the talk but in truth they're doing a very poor job of producing new engineers and to be honest the way the industry is going, with EPCM work, I see it moving more and more to the value centres and the other offices being used to drive the project. I think in the near future there will be more of a push to send people to these offshore value centres to supervise. At least that's my assessment. How soon I don't know but it tells you what I think of my industry. Maybe I'm jaded but I personally would tell any young graduate engineer to avoid getting a job at a EPCM regardless how good the pay looks if they want to learn to be a good engineer.

That wasn't always the case, but that's where we are now. I have little doubt that many larger companies that do software and engineering do this sort of thing. It is, to put it simply, brain drain. It's discouraging for anyone, let alone young people who feel that they want to achieve something.

Lastly, not to bash these 'value centres', the simple truth is, anyone who has to supervise from overseas often have a high level of frustration with their job and find it very unsatisfactory. There is not only a cultural difference but there is also a lot of other issues such as staff retention and skill level.

Through my life I've seen how the mentality changed with regards to career and how it went from one idea of stability to this newer idea of 'uncertainty'. Unfortunately, a lot of schools, colleges, universities, do not prepare students for this reality. There is still this belief that you graduate with a 'career' choice and you are 'stuck' with it for life. Which is so not true these days.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I listened to that video.

Though I'm most definitely not considered a 'millennial' I have had a few discussions with them, my three nephews and two nieces.

I would say that I agree with a large portion of the talk. Though as always there's exceptions to the generalisations presented in it.

The one point I found most interesting is how he felt that companies need to be more invested in helping millennials out. I have to agree with this, well I think companies need to do more for their employees in general but I know most companies have taken on this idea of 'you sort it out' mentality.

I can of course use my own company as 'part of the problem' in this. Well in companies in general are a problem in themselves but that's a whole conversation on it's own but I think what I'll say will probably translate over.

So, I may have mentioned this before, I work for a large EPCM, (Engineering Procurement Construction Management) company. Though 'E' is the first letter, what I can tell you that most companies like mine are doing everything in their power to do more of the other three because there's less risk involved.

My industry has changed a lot in the short time I've been working in it (if you want to call 20 years short). We do a lot of what's called 'offshoring' of our services using 'value centres' for our engineering and some other activities. My job for the most part equates to supervision of value centre employees and checking. I don't really do design or engineering anymore. Main reason of course is 'money'. That's the reason for this. We are pushing engineering to India, China and the Philippines because it's cheaper. While reducing the staff in western offices.

So it's of no surprise that our company is bleeding young staff. We've lost 8 engineering graduates this year so far. Basically one a month. Why? For the most part, because we're not offering engineering as they envisioned. I feel sorry for any young engineer getting stuck on the project I'm on, for example, and yes I use the term 'stuck'. Large projects are horrible for learning anything on. There's a distinct lack of practical experience as well.

My company wants young staff because they're starting to lose senior staff to retirement. However, my industry has been horrible at getting new staff in the first place, years without any investment whatsoever. Then when they get them they offer the poorest experience for anyone. Who wants to graduate as an engineer and push paper around and 'check' other people's work? Not any bright graduate who wants to learn. Keeping in mind how low the amount of students there are interested in engineering as well.

My company talks the talk but in truth they're doing a very poor job of producing new engineers and to be honest the way the industry is going, with EPCM work, I see it moving more and more to the value centres and the other offices being used to drive the project. I think in the near future there will be more of a push to send people to these offshore value centres to supervise. At least that's my assessment. How soon I don't know but it tells you what I think of my industry. Maybe I'm jaded but I personally would tell any young graduate engineer to avoid getting a job at a EPCM regardless how good the pay looks if they want to learn to be a good engineer.

That wasn't always the case, but that's where we are now. I have little doubt that many larger companies that do software and engineering do this sort of thing. It is, to put it simply, brain drain. It's discouraging for anyone, let alone young people who feel that they want to achieve something.

Lastly, not to bash these 'value centres', the simple truth is, anyone who has to supervise from overseas often have a high level of frustration with their job and find it very unsatisfactory. There is not only a cultural difference but there is also a lot of other issues such as staff retention and skill level.

Through my life I've seen how the mentality changed with regards to career and how it went from one idea of stability to this newer idea of 'uncertainty'. Unfortunately, a lot of schools, colleges, universities, do not prepare students for this reality. There is still this belief that you graduate with a 'career' choice and you are 'stuck' with it for life. Which is so not true these days.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...oogleapis.com/auth/chrome-content-suggestions

I posted this I think two weeks ago and it dovetails appropriately into your point.

I'll take it one step further and state that in the US, I'm glad I'm not going through the school system growing up. They like to always cut funding from Education to balance budgets and school districts seemingly never have enough money to do anything. I'd love to hear science guy's take on this one.

So if the school system all the way up to high school from a patriarchal lens filters out women to get into certain jobs, then filters out minority males in varying degrees, what do we have? Young displaced males of color in economically stressed places having to "hustle", creating more business for the criminal justice system and the secondary systems that support it in some cases. In others being pigeonholed into another narrow set of choices because to do something truly different won't immediately put food in an empty fridge that hasn't had any for days or fight that eviction notice or pay the utilities that have been off for months. We also have women not accessing the type of jobs as they should (no equal pay here), so they flood certain careers and from a wages standpoint, drop the salaries.

So we have creative young people being thrown to the wolves with some of these problems with inadequate support and expect many to innovate and thrive?

Sounds about right. (Sarcasm alert)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...oogleapis.com/auth/chrome-content-suggestions

I posted this I think two weeks ago and it dovetails appropriately into your point.

I'll take it one step further and state that in the US, I'm glad I'm not going through the school system growing up. They like to always cut funding from Education to balance budgets and school districts seemingly never have enough money to do anything. I'd love to hear science guy's take on this one.

Though I don't work in the education sector I have read many articles on the issues in the US. Aside from the budget issues, there's also the other issues where some schools spend more on sports than on anything else. This reduces funds for other parts of the school. This happens in both colleges and high schools. Then there's the issue of certain states having more power in what gets put in school text books and so on. There are so many issues in the US education system that I sometimes wonder how anyone escapes with any sort of decent education sometimes.... well the US did vote in Dump... hmmmmm

Sorry couldn't help myself...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So if the school system all the way up to high school from a patriarchal lens filters out women to get into certain jobs, then filters out minority males in varying degrees, what do we have? Young displaced males of color in economically stressed places having to "hustle", creating more business for the criminal justice system and the secondary systems that support it in some cases. In others being pigeonholed into another narrow set of choices because to do something truly different won't immediately put food in an empty fridge that hasn't had any for days or fight that eviction notice or pay the utilities that have been off for months. We also have women not accessing the type of jobs as they should (no equal pay here), so they flood certain careers and from a wages standpoint, drop the salaries.

So we have creative young people being thrown to the wolves with some of these problems with inadequate support and expect many to innovate and thrive?

Sounds about right. (Sarcasm alert)

There are without a doubt many many issues with the education system just like there are many issues with society itself.

We could probably talk for pages on these topics alone and unfortunately agree with each other but solve nothing! LOL!

The whole education system needs to be revamped and made to suit students better but that would be expensive so I don't see that happening.

Society needs to come to grips with diversity but unfortunately there still so many places in multicultural parts of the world where you still don't find any mixed populations so stereotyping is easy to keep up and to keep the fear/hate going.

Such are the issues the world faces.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There are without a doubt many many issues with the education system just like there are many issues with society itself.

We could probably talk for pages on these topics alone and unfortunately agree with each other but solve nothing! LOL!

The whole education system needs to be revamped and made to suit students better but that would be expensive so I don't see that happening.

Society needs to come to grips with diversity but unfortunately there still so many places in multicultural parts of the world where you still don't find any mixed populations so stereotyping is easy to keep up and to keep the fear/hate going.

Such are the issues the world faces.
The thing though is that what has always been helpful is creating a climate in some way where people from the upcoming generation is able to advocate, innovate and ultimately, change. It is still happening now, but one has the sense that it is more hidden in bushels and scattered areas than it should be. Like everything else these days, if you don't dig through the cruft and misinformation, you don't find it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The thing though is that what has always been helpful is creating a climate in some way where people from the upcoming generation is able to advocate, innovate and ultimately, change. It is still happening now, but one has the sense that it is more hidden in bushels and scattered areas than it should be. Like everything else these days, if you don't dig through the cruft and misinformation, you don't find it.

What I've noticed from watching some YouTube stuff is that some younger people are stepping out of the usual and doing things their own way. Most appear to be going after life experiences these days.

Which is not a bad thing and I think it's a break from their upbringing which bereft them of experiences.

I think more and more young people will shun the traditional but there's a long path ahead of them. Whether we'll see changes in the future I don't know. I thought my generation would have done better by now but I see too many around my age still stuck with traditionalist ideas and becoming more and more conservative with age. Sad really. So much for the 'rebellious' 80s.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Though I don't work in the education sector I have read many articles on the issues in the US. Aside from the budget issues, there's also the other issues where some schools spend more on sports than on anything else. This reduces funds for other parts of the school. This happens in both colleges and high schools. Then there's the issue of certain states having more power in what gets put in school text books and so on. There are so many issues in the US education system that I sometimes wonder how anyone escapes with any sort of decent education sometimes.... well the US did vote in Dump... hmmmmm

Sorry couldn't help myself...
If my memory is correct, each school district is funded a little bit differently. I can tell you that school districts in the usual areas (poor) often struggle to offer sports and other after school programs. If suspect that some of the places where football is King there is some benefits like a business where if the athletic department isn't funded well, the school cannot generate the extra revenue to do other things. It is why in some colleges and high schools, I'd suspect football (and to a lesser degree basketball) coaches are held in such a high regard.

But these are only educated hunches on my part. This is why I'd want Sciencelabsguy to weigh in as it's in his wheelhouse.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Really trying to get my application in this week, and it's on my recommendations now essentially.

I went to see one of them this morning to follow up, and he told me that he's proud of my progress as a person (not just academically; he's a former professor of mine). I thanked him for his compliment. Anyway, he completed my recommendation letter in front of me. Two down, one to go. Going to be on this last person now, as daily as I can be.

I got an application to submit and tickets to buy to see my other favorite. The first thing has to happen first...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What I've noticed from watching some YouTube stuff is that some younger people are stepping out of the usual and doing things their own way. Most appear to be going after life experiences these days.

Which is not a bad thing and I think it's a break from their upbringing which bereft them of experiences.

I think more and more young people will shun the traditional but there's a long path ahead of them. Whether we'll see changes in the future I don't know. I thought my generation would have done better by now but I see too many around my age still stuck with traditionalist ideas and becoming more and more conservative with age. Sad really. So much for the 'rebellious' 80s.
See, I don't have a problem with young people striking out on their own and exercising their powers of agency. Still, I've seen a lot of people get swallowed alive by having to go through experiential learning ill equipped beforehand. I think that's where my gripe is...we often push critical thinking and innovation like it's something ingrained and natural.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Really trying to get my application in this week, and it's on my recommendations now essentially.

I went to see one of them this morning to follow up, and he told me that he's proud of my progress as a person (not just academically; he's a former professor of mine). I thanked him for his compliment. Anyway, he completed my recommendation letter in front of me. Two down, one to go. Going to be on this last person now, as daily as I can be.

I got an application to submit and tickets to buy to see my other favorite. The first thing has to happen first...
Good luck! The process can be nerve wracking, but nice because you can get positive reinforcement as to where you are from those who know you...that's a great feeling indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Because I'm being more conservative with my Bluetooth usage in the interim, I'm test driving the Mi Note 2 today with the new update. Honestly, it makes me want to go with the XL, but I may rotate devices.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if Google will be more proactive with Android Wear and treat security updates on those devices in the same way it does for Pixel phones? If they did, I'd be more comfortable stomaching going to 2.0. But the devil is in the details, as usual.

That the crappy part of creating a product and pushing it to consumers and now that it's bought to maintain it. But, that's why I'm a consumer and not an executive tasked to problem solve this stuff...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Good luck! The process can be nerve wracking, but nice because you can get positive reinforcement as to where you are from those who know you...that's a great feeling indeed.

Thank you! It isn't due until the following week to be exact but I don't want to submit it then. I want to submit it earlier so that can be done. The 2nd concert of the month (to see my other favorite) is also the day it is due too, which is why this is additionally tough (100 tickets left as of Friday too).

I agree about what you said though, it is a great feeling. I have known him for 5 years (whoa). He's always been in my corner even though he is is an interesting guy. I will be so glad when I'm done the application. One of my coworkers also doing this said that she plans to have a glass of wine after submitting lol

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think that's where my gripe is...we often push critical thinking and innovation like it's something ingrained and natural.

This is my company's stance currently. There's a push to be 'innovative'. Which I find hysterical considering we're using outdated software and old PCs. Not to mention that they profit from it and all you get is a pat on the back and lame thank you... no thanks.

If there's one thing that's certain, critical thinking and innovation is not ingrained from birth, one look at society is all it take for anyone to verify this. Both can be and should be taught. Unfortunately the schooling process doesn't allow time for it and I could see parents complaining about it sadly.

I think the movie 'Dead Poets Society' should be recommended viewing in schools. :p Never before has school, parenting and society been shown more bare.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if I have given any recent updates on my status...

So we got the France property contract, signed and sent back... all 130+ pages. We found out that the old couple that used to live there had 13 kids! :shocked: The sell of the house is under power of attorney. The father had died and the mother is in a nursing home.

Our property in the UK is still moving along. Not much to report other than we're now just waiting for the house searches to complete.

Our France bank is asking for more information for the mortgage as it's taken a while to get the contract from the lawyer but that should be straight forward hopefully.

Once the mortgage is approved we'll move on to the next stage which is setting our definite move date.

Currently that's Nov 28th. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte