WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I won't lie: I'm smitten with that design of the Essential Phone. It feels like a modern Nexus 4. I loved using that phone, excluding the camera and the storage constraints.

Still, I just cannot get over the one issue with the phone. As different as it is design wise...if I wanted a compact feeling stock ish Android experience based on communication and PIM only, I'd still pick a Pixel. As powerful as the Essential Phone is hardware and design wise, Pixel has the better optimized software. And let's not even discuss the camera.

Still, it's an interesting device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I won't lie: I'm smitten with that design of the Essential Phone. It feels like a modern Nexus 4. I loved using that phone, excluding the camera and the storage constraints.

Still, I just cannot get over the one issue with the phone. As different as it is design wise...if I wanted a compact feeling stock ish Android experience based on communication and PIM only, I'd still pick a Pixel. As powerful as the Essential Phone is hardware and design wise, Pixel has the better optimized software. And let's not even discuss the camera.

I agree that it is a great looking phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Is the camera really that bad? What would you compare it to?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It is, especially for the price this phone is asking for. I love the size of it though.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V388Wo3mj7s

And also this: https://www.androidcentral.com/essential-phone

No need to read the review if you don't want to, you can just skip to the pictures.

Edit: There's a photo thread too but note that most of the photos are daylight ones: https://forums.androidcentral.com/essential-phone/830075-photos-taken-ph-1-post-yours-here.html

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I took a test shot and it just seemed...meh. Plus the camera app is even more bare bones than Google camera, if you can believe it. No panorama, manual mode, etc. You can choose video, mono and regular, and maybe disable flash and selfie cam...but that's about it, I think.

I think the hardware itself is solid. It's just an alpha camera app, sadly.

They just don't offer enough outside of the design to justify the price. But I'd test drive it for $450...because I like the design and it feels compact for a screen that size.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I took a test shot and it just seemed...meh. Plus the camera app is even more bare bones than Google camera, if you can believe it. No panorama, manual mode, etc. You can choose video, mono and regular, and maybe disable flash and selfie cam...but that's about it, I think.

They just don't offer enough outside of the design to justify the price. But I'd test drive it for $450...because I like the design and it feels compact for a screen that size.
I know I'm already getting spoiled by the DAC and the camera in the V20. I wouldn't want to downgrade either of those features at this point. Carrying around an external DAC and USB OTG adapter is not something I'd do at this point.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I see you trolling Swappa in 2018 for an Essential phone for around $400.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know I'm already getting spoiled by the DAC and the camera in the V20. I wouldn't want to downgrade either of those features at this point. Carrying around an external DAC and USB OTG adapter is not something I'd do at this point.
See, I'd take the Essential Phone seriously if there were better USB-C headphones...which are still fewer and far between. I'd even give them a slight pass on the camera because I still own a 950XL.

Where I draw the line at the price they're asking for is customer service. Not a fan of how they handled that email snafu. And the stories of calling and not getting through to reps is troubling.

I'm not really in the mood to take on another prettier Nextbit Robin. As much as I'm gushing over the phone's design...I've got too many devices as is and hardly any storage room to keep them.

Plus I'm not sure if it'll be polished enough...with how alpha the software was, they need to pump out updates like crazy...and if they want to sell a version two they need to be working on designs and prototypes already. That's a lot for a small company to ask.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Is it just me but I'm not excited about the Pixel 2?

I'm sure it'll be a good device...but I'm not too crazy for it. Guess it's just nice to read the news.

I'm sure 99 will be pleased. I'm just not as hyped over it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure it'll be a good device...but I'm not too crazy for it. Guess it's just nice to read the news.

I think it will be generally interesting but once I learned that there is no headphone jack, my interest is not there. You're not alone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think it will be generally interesting but once I learned that there is no headphone jack, my interest is not there. You're not alone.
I mean, it's not even about the no headphone jack for me. It's just...gonna be overpriced as last year's model was. There's just too many overpriced phones in the market now.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm intrigued simply because very little has leaked out compared to all the other devices including iPhone X.

I still think that the V30 might pull ahead of the Pixel 2 XL this go around.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I mean, it's not even about the no headphone jack for me. It's just...gonna be overpriced as last year's model was. There's just too many overpriced phones in the market now.
And sadly the deals have dried up. Samsung cleaned up the clock with blockbuster deals on S8/S8+ from launch till August and probably recovered their losses from the Note 7 fiasco and set themselves up for fat profit margins with the Note 8 launch and nixing any further deals for the Galaxy series.

The G6 is solid but the V30 is better in pretty much every way so that is a tough slog for that device.

I'm thinking iPhone 8 is gonna lose a lot of sales to iPhone X. Even Apple thinks so as the 6s series will still be available this year. On top of it Apple raised prices of all sorts of things including screen repair, Apple Care, iPads etc.

Essential phone is gonna have a hard time gaining traction.

HTC lost the battle with the bezels.

And Moto who?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Great signal at work, coupled with Oreo means superb battery life on the Pixel!
a4c05f1ac114d541fea3fb27335c4ccd.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven