WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Six bones is not exactly what I’d call experiment money. Even I have my limits.

Well actually, my wifey kind of sets my limits. Sort of in a way. I know this because she says “fine” and every married man knows that “fine” means anything BUT fine.

LOL! I'm with you on that.

That's part of the reason for my hesitation. It's a lot for that. I need a sale on it, at least $50 off I could swallow if it is awesome, but I would rather have $100 off. It's a mini flagship but it's a bit much to swallow outright. My limit is actually under that.

Edit: I'm also playing with the idea of possibly trading in the Pixel to get some money off the XZ1 Compact. I know that it will take a hit but it's an idea. Since everyone is trying to sell their Pixels right now, it feels hard to get a bite.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

LOL! I'm with you on that.

That's part of the reason for my hesitation. It's a lot for that. I need a sale on it, at least $50 off I could swallow if it is awesome, but I would rather have $100 off. It's a mini flagship but it's a bit much to swallow outright. My limit is actually under that.

Edit: I'm also playing with the idea of possibly trading in the Pixel to get some money off the XZ1 Compact. I know that it will take a hit but it's an idea. Since everyone is trying to sell their Pixels right now, it feels hard to get a bite.
Just hang tight till November 1. You will get better money for your Pixel and the Sony will have seen a nice price drop as well. Win, win.

I'm really surprised why you aren't happy with the battery life on the Pixel.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Just hang tight till November 1. You will get better money for your Pixel and the Sony will have seen a nice price drop as well. Win, win.

That's a true point about the Pixel and the Sony price drop. As long it doesn't randomly restart on me, I think I can deal with it. (I didn't mention it before but I had two restarts last week)

In my experience, the battery life wasn't so good to me. I did a hard reset and it has been better since. It's good, just not as good as my other phone. I wish that Oreo counted half/partial charges as full ones. I also didn't install all of my apps either, because I'm doing this test with it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I don’t know about the small Pixel but I had the XL and it started quite good and went downhill from there. Oh, and there were no updates to blame, it was just Android’s poor RAM management. I only use about 30 app downloads so I can imagine the folks who download 100s of apps and 10 gigs of music what their battery life must be like.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

That's a true point about the Pixel and the Sony price drop. As long it doesn't randomly restart on me, I think I can deal with it.

In my experience, the battery life wasn't so good to me. I did a hard reset and it has been better since. It's good, just not as good as my other phone. I wish that Oreo counted half/partial charges as full ones. I also didn't install all of my apps either, because I'm doing this test with it.
That's a pity.
I have everything running and my battery life is superb. I am consistently at 4+ hours SOT and over 24+ hours between charges. I have a rapid car charger and can easily get good charging on my short commute.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I don’t know about the small Pixel but I had the XL and it started quite good and went downhill from there. Oh, and there were no updates to blame, it was just Android’s poor RAM management. I only use about 30 app downloads so I can imagine the folks who download 100s of apps and 10 gigs of music what their battery life must be like.

I have about 100 apps and every single one of them I have signed in and get notifications etc. I have ZERO issues with RAM management or battery life issues. This phone just chugs along. I didn't realize how janky the S8 is compared to the smoothness of the stock Android on the Pixel.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That's a pity.
I have everything running and my battery life is superb. I am consistently at 4+ hours SOT and over 24+ hours between charges. I have a rapid car charger and can easily get good charging on my short commute.
Nice!

Draining it down today, I can see how you get your numbers. I'm not really the kind to do that. I prefer a certain amount of battery life before I put it on the charger when it hits a certain percentage. Having a phone that doesn't fall short in that area makes the XZ1 Compact look nice to me.

Going from 0% to 100, I'm curious how long it will last for me after doing that and also with it hitting a certain percentage.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Printing my tickets for the weekend's events has me excited! Because of what's going on, I'll probably stick with the Pixel for the weekend but I am considering bringing along the A3 to the concert as well. Just so that I can see what kind of shots I can get with it too. I know that the Pixel shots will be better but I still would like to get a decent shot out of the A3 as well. The last concert with it did produce a decent shot. It was a bit noisy but far from horrible.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Not sure why this was on my Youtube landing page, but I found it to be interesting. (Even more so since this guy is in the world of tech.) It kind of reminded me of the points that MIA and Rue have both said about smartphone tech previously in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoU4ZuOBD8A
It was in my Google Now feed as well. I saw an article from BGR where the author argued it's better to buy a new iPhone 6s than a mid range Android. I'm like that's a pretty dumb comparison.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It was in my Google Now feed as well. I saw an article from BGR where the author argued it's better to buy a new iPhone 6s than a mid range Android. I'm like that's a pretty dumb comparison.

Hmm yeah that's a crazy comparison, I agree with you about that.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So I have been test driving the Umidigi Z1 Pro for the last couple of days and here are a few impressions.

1. What a superb knock off as far as design/build is concerned. This looks and feels like an iPhone 7+ except it runs Android - that too a clean version without a lot of Google bloatware. The only differences are USB-C, no mute slider button, volume/power button on same saide and an oval FPS in the front. Otherwise it looks exactly like the iPhone 7+. Ergonomics are fine, doesn't feel heavy despite having a 4000 mAh battery.

2. Dual camera setup is decent and works reasonably well. I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere remotely close. However this is no Pixel.

3. Battery life is superb - it has a 4000 mAh battery and I got 3.5 hours SOT with 43% left after being 17 hours off the charger.

4. One of the few Chinese devices that actually gets LTE in USA on TMO and VZW. VoLTE out of the box and it works just fine. I didn't see Wi-Fi calling option.

5. I slapped on Nova Launcher and got it setup similar to my Pixel. Seems to chug along just fine without issues. A few quirks, when I take the phone out of Airplane mode, it likes to turn on BT for some reason even if it wasn't turned on prior to putting the phone in Airplane mode. FPS works but is not accurate even though the training exercise I placed the finger in all possible combinations. I just enter the password now.

6. Seems to get updates routinely. However it is still on Android 7.0 however, security patch level is August 5, 2017 same as my Pixel.

7. Display panel is nice, a bit slow to adjust to the ambient lighting though.

8. Audio output is decent on speaker and headphone jack.

All in all a pretty decent device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I have been test driving the Umidigi Z1 Pro for the last couple of days and here are a few impressions.

1. What a superb knock off as far as design/build is concerned. This looks and feels like an iPhone 7+ except it runs Android - that too a clean version without a lot of Google bloatware. The only differences are USB-C, no mute slider button, volume/power button on same saide and an oval FPS in the front. Otherwise it looks exactly like the iPhone 7+. Ergonomics are fine, doesn't feel heavy despite having a 4000 mAh battery.

2. Dual camera setup is decent and works reasonably well. I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere remotely close. However this is no Pixel.

3. Battery life is superb - it has a 4000 mAh battery and I got 3.5 hours SOT with 43% left after being 17 hours off the charger.

4. One of the few Chinese devices that actually gets LTE in USA on TMO and VZW. VoLTE out of the box and it works just fine. I didn't see Wi-Fi calling option.

5. I slapped on Nova Launcher and got it setup similar to my Pixel. Seems to chug along just fine without issues. A few quirks, when I take the phone out of Airplane mode, it likes to turn on BT for some reason even if it wasn't turned on prior to putting the phone in Airplane mode. FPS works but is not accurate even though the training exercise I placed the finger in all possible combinations. I just enter the password now.

6. Seems to get updates routinely. However it is still on Android 7.0 however, security patch level is August 5, 2017 same as my Pixel.

7. Display panel is nice, a bit slow to adjust to the ambient lighting though.

8. Audio output is decent on speaker and headphone jack.

All in all a pretty decent device.
Sounds like an interesting phone for sure. And also that the security patch is updated is a nice surprise.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So the concert yesterday was awesome. Slightly farther than the last one (in mileage, that is) but totally worth it. No headache this time because I ate proper food haha.

I ended up sitting next to this mom and her sons. One was grown and in a wheelchair and the other was small. The older son was really into music and he would make noises of excitement. Lucky him to be touched by my fav lol.

I did bring both phones. I got a few decent shots on the A3 and course a lot of really good shots on the Pixel. While I still want the XZ1 Compact, I have some comparing to do with it. I just need to know if it would be better than the A3. Basically it needs to be a bit under the Pixel but not so bad. We'll see.
As temped as I am to buy next week, I need a certain site to drop their review. GSMArena had a great review but for me, I like to notice a pattern in them. One written review is not enough for that kind of thing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Only in Australia...
d53381f0687a5f40e76fcb906ddeea56.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786