WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Any thoughts on Microsoft killing Groove Music?

This is a bummer. I wanted to try Groove but the streaming holes were too big. In the future, it can only play locally stored music, along with music on OneDrive.
I cancelled my Groove subscription in 2015 when I switched to Android. I use Spotify and Google Play Music (both the paid versions). I'm happy with both.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Any thoughts on Microsoft killing Groove Music?

This is a bummer. I wanted to try Groove but the streaming holes were too big. In the future, it can only play locally stored music, along with music on OneDrive.
I will have to figure out where to move my audio files to. I parked a lot of music on OneDrive and streamed it via Groove. An idea is to search what is available on Amazon music and add those to my various playlists. It's a laborious task.
Oh well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I will have to figure out where to move my audio files to. I parked a lot of music on OneDrive and streamed it via Groove. An idea is to search what is available on Amazon music and add those to my various playlists. It's a laborious task.
Oh well.

If your tunes are on OneDrive you don’t have to do anything. Groove will still stream your OneDrive and local files. Just keep adding to your Music folder and enjoy. Too much FUD on this subject.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yesterday was the open house for the school of the master's program that I applied to. Really thankful that work has been so supportive in allowing me and my coworker to go. We were quoted a time for the actual open house but then having the chance to attend a class was sent to us last minute.

The class was interesting in subject and what I saw in the class itself. The open house was great, I'm glad that I went. It was worth paying for parking, as I have learned a lot there.

Now that I know that they will start going through applications this week along with the number of applicants, it's time to just wait and see...

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The Mi Mix 2 is nice.
Very nice.

Ooh. Does it feel weird to hold at all? Also does it feel better than the first one? How's the performance and camera? How do you like the size? I hear that it is smaller than the first one was.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ooh. Does it feel weird to hold at all? Also does it feel better than the first one? How's the performance and camera? How do you like the size? I hear that it is smaller than the first one was.

To answer your series of questions, one by one:
1. It does not feel weird to hold at all.
2. It does feel better than the original Mix in terms of ergonomics and in hand feel.
3. The performance is snappy, snappy, very very fluid.
4. Camera wasn't shabby in low light. I will test drive it a bit more today and revert back to you.
5. I like the size of this device much better than the original Mix. It is just right with a massive screen. I mean it is maybe a quarter inch longer than my Pixel with a case.
6. My previous answer says that it is smaller than the first one. It is a much more usable device.

I would say that this is a definite home run. I also got the Mi A1 which is probably a total clone of the 7+ series. And I say Apple messed up on the 8 and X series. The Xiaomi Mix 2 is a much more original design.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

To answer your series of questions, one by one:
1. It does not feel weird to hold at all.
2. It does feel better than the original Mix in terms of ergonomics and in hand feel.
3. The performance is snappy, snappy, very very fluid.
4. Camera wasn't shabby in low light. I will test drive it a bit more today and revert back to you.
5. I like the size of this device much better than the original Mix. It is just right with a massive screen. I mean it is maybe a quarter inch longer than my Pixel with a case.
6. My previous answer says that it is smaller than the first one. It is a much more usable device.

I would say that this is a definite home run. I also got the Mi A1 which is probably a total clone of the 7+ series. And I say Apple messed up on the 8 and X series. The Xiaomi Mix 2 is a much more original design.

Very cool, thanks for answering! I'll be looking forward to more of your camera thoughts.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Let's see if LG will really launch the V30 tomorrow. If so, I'll check it out in stores.

While there are things about the Pixel 2017 I like, it's not a phone I'd buy.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Let's see if LG will really launch the V30 tomorrow. If so, I'll check it out in stores.

While there are things about the Pixel 2017 I like, it's not a phone I'd buy.
Should be in TMO and ATT stores. I'm going to check it out as well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I can understand that. I expected not to be as impressed but there are some cool things that I really like about it and will use for sure, like the portrait mode on both cameras and the Always on Display song id.

I decided to order one but we'll see if I keep my order. It depends if they don't push it back crazily or not. Not a fan of the missing headphone jack but if the trade-off would be worth it is something I may find out. Concerned about the lower capacity of the battery as well too...

I am also a fan of the fact that it will get 3 years of software updates, along with security ones for 3 years as well. I know, I know, will I keep a phone for 3 years? I don't know. I do know that I have had my SE for over a year and I would use it if the front camera was better because I really like that phone otherwise.

In regards to the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact, I still would like that one too. Unfortunately, already ordered that recently thinking that I wouldn't do this. One will go, let's just say that. Both have the option to be returned so I'm good.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hardware wise for me, the V30 has the best combo of features for my needs. In fact, the two most appealing hardware packages on the market to me are the Essential phone and the V30 (with the Mi Mix 2 as a solid 3rd).

But...going from a V20 to a V30, the upgrades don't justify the increased cost as well... especially due to the discounted price I got this V20 for. Plus, this isn't the G4 days when I got software updates more frequently. It's been very disappointing the software situation for the V20.

As for the Essential phone, the jury's out as to what Andy's company will do with updates. Plus, as much as I love how compact the device is...the software with regard to the camera is a big issue. While using the Google camera app helps, I'm not pleased to have to use that on a device that is being sold for the price it is.

I do have the new phone itch, but cost to benefits as an upgrade from the V20 + Mi Note 2 combo, the value amount to spend to do the upgrades don't justify the benefits of the upgrades.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What Big G did today I didn't like was draw the line...Pixel gets 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security patches. Pixel 2 went at minimum 3 years on each front.

It makes getting an OG Pixel now more of a roll of the dice. That's a shame.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

What Big G did today I didn't like was draw the line...Pixel gets 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security patches. Pixel 2 went at minimum 3 years on each front.

It makes getting an OG Pixel now more of a roll of the dice. That's a shame.
I agree. That is messed up. I wonder why they changed it.

Edit: On that note, it also seems like there's a time window for unlimited full resolution photo backup for the original Pixels. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Unl...orage-for-Pixel-owners-ending-in-2020_id98627

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hardware wise for me, the V30 has the best combo of features for my needs. In fact, the two most appealing hardware packages on the market to me are the Essential phone and the V30 (with the Mi Mix 2 as a solid 3rd).

But...going from a V20 to a V30, the upgrades don't justify the increased cost as well... especially due to the discounted price I got this V20 for. Plus, this isn't the G4 days when I got software updates more frequently. It's been very disappointing the software situation for the V20.

As for the Essential phone, the jury's out as to what Andy's company will do with updates. Plus, as much as I love how compact the device is...the software with regard to the camera is a big issue. While using the Google camera app helps, I'm not pleased to have to use that on a device that is being sold for the price it is.

I do have the new phone itch, but cost to benefits as an upgrade from the V20 + Mi Note 2 combo, the value amount to spend to do the upgrades don't justify the benefits of the upgrades.

Again, I need to borrow your willpower. Who knows, I might gain some of it passively with the start of this program. LOL

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Idealistically, I hope the Pixel 2 or the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact work out for me. If not, I could stick with the Pixel I currently have. Not going to be seeing that Pixel 2 for a while and probably by the time I do, I would have news about my application.

Whoa. The idea of that being so long is kind of scary (not for the phone but for the news).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Again, I need to borrow your willpower. Who knows, I might gain some of it passively with the start of this program. LOL
It isn't willpower. It's a simple fact that this is a never-ending rat race and an expensive one at that. I can argue that since the S800 chip debuted that in the high end space hardware has matured. The only thing that's gotten better rapidly since the S800 chip's debut is the camera tech.

There's no reason to still stick by a two year cycle for OS updates. All it means by doing that is Android OEMs wanting to milk customers. Google did that with the OG Pixels, so they don't get a pass from me there either.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Idealistically, I hope the Pixel 2 or the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact work out for me. If not, I could stick with the Pixel I currently have. Not going to be seeing that Pixel 2 for a while and probably by the time I do, I would have news about my application.

Whoa. The idea of that being so long is kind of scary (not for the phone but for the news).
You do know that the Pixel 2 is slightly larger than the original Pixel in every dimension except weight, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720