WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Would it be possible for you to post a side by side picture of your three Android devices? Front and back?
Thanks in advance.

I forgot that when I come back, it's playoff game time so there's a chance the lighting might not work out still.

I took some early morning shots for you:

f9be72c82091fd669508f5b22d61cdb6.jpg

af498cbdd256688c882cb1fc31fb48ca.jpg

It's hard to see the height difference between the smaller phones so I figured that this would help because there is one for sure.

7a3b152a33301fbb7e0ac0f6848a2c6a.jpg

33c295ce295fe7fe1a6b6f9e8ce998f5.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I think I'll keep the XZ1 Compact. I didn't know that the pictures I took would be the last time I see it like that. :(

Had a situation at work where we were forced to leave the building (all is fine) and we were trying to call coworkers to leave and then my poor phone slipped out of my hand. Screen isn't cracked thankfully but I have little scratches and a big scuff along the edges. Returning it is pointless because that's 50% out plus shipping.

I'll continue to try camera apps but I'm stuck with it. Not a bad phone to be stuck with, as it fits everything else I require and desire in one. Need to find a case that covers that stuff but still shows the back.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So I think I'll keep the XZ1 Compact. I didn't know that the pictures I took would be the last time I see it like that. :(

Had a situation at work where we were forced to leave the building (all is fine) and we were trying to call coworkers to leave and then my poor phone slipped out of my hand. Screen isn't cracked thankfully but I have little scratches and a big scuff along the edges. Returning it is pointless because that's 50% out plus shipping.

I'll continue to try camera apps but I'm stuck with it. Not a bad phone to be stuck with, as it fits everything else I require and desire in one. Need to find a case that covers that stuff but still shows the back.

Glad that you are okay. Smartphones can be replaced.
With all the fires up in Northern California, a good friend of ours had his old house burned down to the ground. Thankfully, they moved a year ago but still....we met them up there a few times.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Glad that you are okay. Smartphones can be replaced.
With all the fires up in Northern California, a good friend of ours had his old house burned down to the ground. Thankfully, they moved a year ago but still....we met them up there a few times.
Thank you. That is true.

OMG wow... I can only imagine how weird that probably felt. I'm glad that they have moved from there though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

@libra89
Thanks for posting the pictures!
You're welcome. I was also curious too. I knew that the Pixel was much shorter but I wondered how much shorter the A3 was.
I enjoyed the size of the A3 but the XZ1 Compact is just like the SE but it feels better. More screen but still very compact.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So...I got some alone the me with the V30...

1) My God it is so lightweight! If I owned one, I'd slap on a hard slim case on it. Haven't felt a phone that lightweight since the Mi 5. While it's not THAT comparatively lightweight, for a phone its size, the footprint weight wise is impressive.

2) Screen is nice. Really nice. I kinda like it a bit more than Samsung's panels.

3) Phone is fast. Love how responsive it felt.

4) Love the camera right away. The barrel distortion on the wide angle lens is reduced and while I wish it was f1.8 with OIS, it's very nice. I'd abuse it even more than I currently do with the V20's.

5) The silver looks flagship grade. But me being me...that blue is so, so nice.

6) It's barely bigger than the G6. Very impressive. I really liked the G6, so LG did a good job there.

Concerns:

1) Like the Mi 5, its lightweight makes me question the ability to survive a spill similar to what the V20 I'm using suffered recently. This needs to live in a case.

2) Not sold on battery life. It's not a 1080P screen, so even though it's P-OLED with the S835, when you start to hammer away with the camera... battery life takes a hit.

3) Such a wonderful design scares me in terms of updates for the unlocked model. Since I like the blue one, I'd hope the euro models are better with updates than the unlocked US. LG did better with the unlocked US G6, but they've shat over the V20 so hard it makes me not want the US model under any circumstances.

I didn't test the video zoom as much, but just poking around the camera app I can tell there's improvement there...so it should be better than the V20 for me.

All in all, it's tied with the Essential Phone with my favorite in-hand feel of 2017.

And yet, LG didn't announce and ship closely. It feels like a semi wasted opportunity in 2017 for them. I know they wanted their own spotlight, but ship the phone in September, not mid to late October. Come on!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Other thoughts...

1) I still love HTC designs. I held the 10 again today and wished I tried it...like the U 11...

2) The in hand feel of the Pixel is only good with the black model. I thought I was crazy but I was able to try all 3 colors and 2 of 3 colors with the Pixel XL. In both cases, the black model felt more comfortable in hand to use. I think they used a slightly different process/coating when finishing the black model. The white phones feel like a knock off version of the HTC 10 in hand.

3) Moto missed the boat with the Z² Force. It's a nice phone, but I honestly wouldn't walk past Andy's phone to buy it. That says a lot.

4) Curious to see the Pixel 2 in person - especially the XL version.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Surprisingly, I liked the in hand feel of the iPhone 8. I'm indifferent about the 6/6S, liked the 7 and now the 8. Design is old, but pay the top dollar for the iPhone X hotness.

So far, the Essential Phone and V30 have my favorite designs and in-hand feels of this year.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Other thoughts...

1) I still love HTC designs. I held the 10 again today and wished I tried it...like the U 11...

2) The in hand feel of the Pixel is only good with the black model. I thought I was crazy but I was able to try all 3 colors and 2 of 3 colors with the Pixel XL. In both cases, the black model felt more comfortable in hand to use. I think they used a slightly different process when finishing the black model.

3) Moto missed the boat with the Z² Force. It's a nice phone, but I honestly wouldn't walk past Andy's phone to buy it. That says a lot.

Hmm, I'm surprised at what you said about the Pixel. I didn't notice a difference at all. You could be right about that, but after having 3, I find your experience interesting. Wait, no thoughts on the bezels?

Yeah, I think the thing that Moto did right was having carrier availability. Aside from that, it's not so interesting (to me).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Surprisingly, I liked the in hand feel of the iPhone 8. I'm indifferent about the 6/6S, liked the 7 and now the 8. Design is old, but pay the top dollar for the iPhone X hotness.

So far, the Essential Phone and V30 have my favorite designs and in-hand feels of this year.

Hmm since you said that, I'm now wondering if you would consider trying either phone next year or really at any point in time. I love the idea and look of the Essential Phone and I give them props for their improvements.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I'm surprised at what you said about the Pixel. I didn't notice a difference at all. You could be right about that, but after having 3, I find your experience interesting. Wait, no thoughts on the bezels?

Yeah, I think the thing that Moto did right was having carrier availability. Aside from that, it's not so interesting (to me).
The bezels on the Pixel are like Mr. Trump's hair - you can comment on it all you want but it ain't going anywhere. I would have preferred Google last year go to 5.2" and 5.7" in the same frame, but they didn't.

You'd be surprised the subtle differences in how colors are applied on phones. Last time I checked, not all paint jobs on a car color wise are done the same way either. I just could tell based on in hand feel. It's why I was more positive with the Pixel because of the black model over the white ones. If I bought a white Pixel, it lives in a case...the black one I'd sometimes use a case, sometimes go without.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The bezels on the Pixel are like Mr. Trump's hair - you can comment on it all you want but it ain't going anywhere. I would have preferred Google last year go to 5.2" and 5.7" in the same frame, but they didn't.

You'd be surprised the subtle differences in how colors are applied on phones. Last time I checked, not all paint jobs on a car color wise are done the same way either. I just could tell based on in hand feel. It's why I was more positive with the Pixel because of the black model over the white ones. If I bought a white Pixel, it lives in a case...the black one I'd sometimes use a case, sometimes go without.

LOL at that analogy.

Hmm, the more you know. I would have never guessed that, but that does make sense.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ha, ha.
I didn't care for the iPhone 8 at all. I liked the 7 a bit better.
I guess different strokes for different folks!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Other thoughts...

2) The in hand feel of the Pixel is only good with the black model. I thought I was crazy but I was able to try all 3 colors and 2 of 3 colors with the Pixel XL. In both cases, the black model felt more comfortable in hand to use. I think they used a slightly different process/coating when finishing the black model. The white phones feel like a knock off version of the HTC 10 in hand.

I had the Blue Pixel and now have the Black Pixel. Can't really tell the difference between either phone. In a case, I guess the Caseology Vault case is far better than the clear Ringke and Luvvitt cases I had for the Blue Pixel.

I also had a White Pixel XL and a Black Pixel XL and really couldn't find anything different. Don't know why I keep thinking I will like a larger screened device. The Mix 2 is nice for a large screen device but even then I think I would want a slightly smaller phone than the Mix 2.

I didn't care at all for the new Moto Z offerings this year.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

These super long days - non stop work/meetings for 8 to 9 hours are beginning to take a toll.
Enjoy your evening everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6