WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

After I went and saw the V30, I went to the Verizon store to check out the Pixel 2 devices. Man those bezels on the little guy stand out like sore losers. Build quality is excellent. I like the matte finish on the metal, provides superb grip compared to my current Pixel.

The Pixel 2 XL is a really nice device as well. Much more ergonomic compared to the excellent V30. I'm going to keep my Pixel for now and potentially pick up the XL on Swappa.

Wow, I'm surprised. I didn't expect that you would go for the 2 XL, even though it does look better than the smaller Pixel 2.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Writing a review for the XZ1C and it's already so long. I'm now wondering if someone would actually read it, I hope they do. Mini review here is incoming but finishing the longer one would make it easier for me to make this happen.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Writing a review for the XZ1C and it's already so long. I'm now wondering if someone would actually read it, I hope they do. Mini review here is incoming but finishing the longer one would make it easier for me to make this happen.
A detailed review of a Sony device would be a welcome read. As you're well aware, Sony is not a brand that's on any US carrier so the average consumer may never know anything about it. Also, a female perspective is always welcome, even though some of us married men never listen to y'all anyway. MIA are you paying attention?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to mention one tiny detail about the new Pixels. Well the camera is actually as good as the hype is. So that is one more reason why I would choose to pick up the new Pixel over the LG V30.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I forgot to mention one tiny detail about the new Pixels. Well the camera is actually as good as the hype is. So that is one more reason why I would choose to pick up the new Pixel over the LG V30.

Ooh okay, that makes sense. So you're good without the headphone jack? That was one thing that gave me pause after I ordered from Google.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

A detailed review of a Sony device would be a welcome read. As you're well aware, Sony is not a brand that's on any US carrier so the average consumer may never know anything about it. Also, a female perspective is always welcome, even though some of us married men never listen to y'all anyway. MIA are you paying attention?

Aw thanks. Lol @ the MIA comment xd

Alright, the review is complete on AC. Mini review incoming for all of you who are interested.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My mini Sony XZ1C (Xperia XZ1 Compact) review is that it's a solid phone that will probably replace my iPhone SE. I know that's a big statement.

Pros:
-The size is everything to me. It's a little bigger than the iPhone SE, but you get more screen. So it's really pocket friendly, which is how you would expect it to be for me. It basically fits in every pocket the SE fits in, and pretty much the same way.
-Great one hand usage is possible with this phone.
-Performance is great, it feels as fast as the Pixel.
-The battery life is great. I find myself not worrying about battery life like I have done with most of my phones.
-Fingerprint sensor is fast (I got the international model, because I'm not on T-Mobile so I'm not missing anything there).
-Display is fine for me, so that's a pro.
-Pictures are FINALLY better on the software processing side, for the most part. The wide angle selfie thing is pretty cool.
-The speakers are great, I haven't had sound that good in a phone for a while now.
-Calls seem to connect quicker than they did with the Pixel. Not sure why that is.
-Sony's skin/UI launcher supports icon packs and there's also a glove mode which I'm looking forward to trying out.
-Speaking of modes, there's this great setting that stops the screen from dimming once it senses it is in your hand. This works out well usually (will get to that).

Cons:
-The mode I just talked about is nice to have. When it doesn't sense that it is fully in your hand, you see the screen debating if it wants to go dim or stay lit. It doesn't bother me but it is noticeable.
-It has a silly thing that if you wish to add apps from the app drawer, you have to drag apps to the top of the home screen.
-AVG Protection and Facebook is still preinstalled, along with Spotify. I use Spotify and I can get why Facebook but the AVG is silly so it's disabled. Same goes with Facebook.
-No ambient display, double tap to wake or always on display. So the speed of the sensor when I just want to check what time it is can be annoying sometimes, ha.
-The low light experience on both cameras can be noisy looking at times, and also yellow. This experience can be adjusted with other camera apps, or just by making it more cool.

Neutral things (not sure what to call this, but things that are not good or bad but important to note):
-The corners don't feel sharp at all to me. I can get why they would but they are good for me.
-Sony still has an Apps icon in the dock to access the app drawer.
-The front camera has a soft skin effect that is on by default, which is interesting. I turned that off though.

This seems like the phone to finally check off all of the boxes for me. The cameras aren't as good as the Pixel but they are better than they were. I feel like this is a solid replacement for the SE for me. Finally. My main things in a phone are really good battery life, minimal/simple UI, solid cameras and small sized with good performance. The Galaxy A3 met that but performance was varied. The SE battery life and front camera fell short to the A3, and now the XZ1C is like a baby of the Pixel (performance, simple UI, great cameras) and Galaxy A3 (battery life, solid cameras, smaller sized) which I really wanted to have.

Ah, still long but not as long as the AC review, which is right here if you are interested.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Please do post the in-depth review. I'd love to read your detailed thoughts.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So I went to the TMO store yesterday and finally got to test drive the V30. It was silver. I didn't like the color. It was a glorious smudge magnet. Overall build and design is superb. Screen quality was great and ergonomically it's great to hold in the hand. Couldn't test drive the camera as the stupid showroom software didn't leave any memory empty to take a picture.

If I decide to get this device, it would have to be blue or black.

This is what the G6 should have been. LG would have given Samsung Galaxy S8 a run for it's money.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/006b760c583d45342e11197eca512857.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171016/10ce313696b13a36429e63df2518f0de.jpg
That's interesting. It must be a different finish than on the V20, since the silver V20 isn't a smudge magnet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I haven't had the best luck with cases for the XZ1C. First case came messed up, second case is nice but covers the button and now the third case is delayed. By the way, the second case was delayed too. This is crazy to me because the frequency is far from normal.

Glad that Amazon has had good customer service though as a way to make up for it but at this point, I just want my stuff and I want it to work. Very much a first world problem but no less annoying.

It's hard for me to not see this as something deeper possibly.

Edit: Even so, it's been a while since something hit the spot in this way. Early adopter or nah, I'm a fan of the XZ1C.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The tempered glass screen protectors for the Mi Mix 2 arrived yesterday. I installed one today. It covered up all my minor scratches like a champ. There is one that is slightly visible at a weird angle but is not obtrusive when the screen is lit. I am very happy with my purchase.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The tempered glass screen protectors for the Mi Mix 2 arrived yesterday. I installed one today. It covered up all my minor scratches like a champ. There is one that is slightly visible at a weird angle but is not obtrusive when the screen is lit. I am very happy with my purchase.

Sweet! I'm glad that you was able to find a good one for it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So I'm finishing off a four day weekend. I'm heading into work after giving my notice in Thursday. Curious to see the reaction today.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

In other news we've been selling off our things so it's starting to get a bit bare in the house.

We are taking stuff with us but we're trying to keep that to a minimum. The things we're trying to get rid of are the large items or things we don't want. Next is the sofa.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6