WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I want a new phone and I was leaning towards the XL but with all the issues folks are having with the screen it's better to get the smaller one.
Ah okay, I can get that. I'll be looking forward to your impressions/thoughts on it.

Will you do the trade in or pass this time?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's a mix of excitement and a desire to just get on with it.

Things dragged for so long it's always funny when you get to a point and things just happen. Now it's so close that you start wonder if you'll be ready! LOL!

We'll, we're ready in general. Just need to keep packing and doing some other bits.

I'm looking forward to just going to be honest.
I hear you loud and clear. That's the part about moving I never liked.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Stop by a Best Buy of you can to see...I suspect it's too heavy for you...

I have been looking into the weight thing and I am seeing this commonly enough to pass on it. I guess it will be one of those things I am curious about but I'll pass.

Still getting rid of phones though but not just for the Essential Phone. Just for my sanity and having TOO many different chargers everywhere.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I guess I should share some of the ideas of getting rid of my excessive phones that are rolling around in my head. This is probably going to be a ramble (no need to respond unless you want to).

Idea 1:
-Keep the Galaxy A3 2017, iPhone SE, and Lumia 650 (this one is going to be kept regardless), and get rid of both the Pixel and XZ1 Compact.

Idea 2:
-Keep the A3 and 650, and get rid of the SE, XZ1 Compact and Pixel.

Idea 3:
-Keep the A3, 650 and XZ1 Compact, and get rid of the Pixel and SE.

Idea 4:
-Keep the A3, 650 and Pixel, and get rid of the SE and XZ1 Compact.

Idea 5:
-Keep the A3, 650, Pixel, and the SE and just get rid of the XZ1 Compact (still a lot of phones though, to me).

I'm leaning towards either idea 1 or 4. What both of these ideas have in common is getting rid of the XZ1 Compact. Why?

The phone is very good but I have realized some things recently. While the battery life is great, it isn't better than the A3, as the A3 beats it out by a few hours. The A3 is a little more noisy but has more (accurate) colors similar to the Pixel in low light. I'm debating if the XZ1 Compact is really worth $200 more than it even though the colors aren't as accurate and there's more detail?

Of course the Pixel doesn't have this problem. At the same time, selling the SE will be for a massive loss, especially for an iPhone. Decisions, decisions. I know that no phone is perfect but does it make sense to pay for this difference by much more?

Edit: There are essentially pros and cons to every option. The one thing that has stopped me from removing my sim instantly is the struggle it took to get the sim into the XZ1 Compact. So I need to be sure of my decisions...

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have been looking into the weight thing and I am seeing this commonly enough to pass on it. I guess it will be one of those things I am curious about but I'll pass.

Still getting rid of phones though but not just for the Essential Phone. Just for my sanity and having TOO many different chargers everywhere.
For now, I've got three. If I getting the Essential phone, that's four. The XL is a collector piece and the Mi Note 2 is headed there once I get Andy's phone.

As much as I don't like 2 devices from the same OEM, I may get a V30 after all. Those will be the two primary and the others get put away. I'd rather not do it like that, but I'm going that route.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

For now, I've got three. If I getting the Essential phone, that's four. The XL is a collector piece and the Mi Note 2 is headed there once I get Andy's phone.

As much as I don't like 2 devices from the same OEM, I may get a V30 after all. Those will be the two primary and the others get put away. I'd rather not do it like that, but I'm going that route.

I think that sounds like a good plan. I do remember you mentioning that you wanted a more compact phone, so with the V30 (especially with a price drop) and the Essential (if you was to get it), you'll have it. I can get it, you're in a tricky place. I'm jealous of your Mi Note 2 actually getting the update though. Still waiting on that for my A3, which I hope is coming before 2018 lol.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So which phones are you getting rid off?
I listed a few more Chinese devices on eBay today.
Really need to whittle down the total number of devices.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think that sounds like a good plan. I do remember you mentioning that you wanted a more compact phone, so with the V30 (especially with a price drop) and the Essential (if you was to get it), you'll have it. I can get it, you're in a tricky place. I'm jealous of your Mi Note 2 actually getting the update though. Still waiting on that for my A3, which I hope is coming before 2018 lol.
That's the thing with MIUI...once you get the major updates, you get back to that weekly/bi-weekly beta builds. I'd rather be down to three phone's, but I'm stuck with what I've got.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So which phones are you getting rid off?
I listed a few more Chinese devices on eBay today.
Really need to whittle down the total number of devices.

I wish you good luck with selling those phones, as I can relate.

I'm not sure. I'm considering letting go of the XZ1 Compact and/or the Pixel. Because of the drop that the XZ1C faced, I will have to take a hit with how much I could sell it for.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I wish you good luck with selling those phones, as I can relate.

I'm not sure. I'm considering letting go of the XZ1 Compact and/or the Pixel. Because of the drop that the XZ1C faced, I will have to take a hit with how much I could sell it for.
Why the XZ1???
I mean I understand your gripes about the Pixel.
So you're going back to the SE???

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Why the XZ1???
I mean I understand your gripes about the Pixel.
So you're going back to the SE???

Basically, my reason is because of the camera colors in low light and how that compares to the cost of my A3. Using the cameras always requires a slight color adjustment so any quick shots I want to take will be lost by the time I adjust the color to be less yellow. I have "changed" the default camera and that helps quite a bit but yellow is still present.

In the time I have had it and compared it to my Galaxy A3, the A3 is not only $200 cheaper, I also don't have a need to adjust colors. The colors are actually similar to the Pixel, which you know how that is like, even though it can be slightly noisier.

Also playing with the A3 more, some issues that I thought it had occasionally with an app, I have run and tested the same exact thing on both the XZ1C and the Pixel, and the issue was there too.

Nope, not the SE, I'll probably go back to the A3. When I do this mini shootout between the XZ1C and the SE, I'll have a solid answer for sure.

Edit: Doing a shootout might or might not confirm selling the XZ1C, I'm hoping to be able to do that this week.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Back in my impulse days, I'd have walked into Best Buy and walked out with Andy's phone today. I'd have also walked into T-Mobile and walked out with the ZTE Quartz right afterwards.

But in my more stressed out at work days, ain't got no time for doing it like that. I could sell the V20 but won't make enough on it to cover the headaches.

If I can wait until the price had gotten to $499, I can wait a little longer so it gets a little cheaper.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Back in my impulse days, I'd have walked into Best Buy and walked out with Andy's phone today. I'd have also walked into T-Mobile and walked out with the ZTE Quartz right afterwards.

But in my more stressed out at work days, ain't got no time for doing it like that. I could sell the V20 but won't make enough on it to cover the headaches.

If I can wait until the price had gotten to $499, I can wait a little longer so it gets a little cheaper.

You have strong willpower so I believe that you can. You're good at that. I can relate with how you feel about selling the V20, that's kind of how I feel about selling the SE. I might as well hold on to it or trade it in at some point.

At least you do enjoy shooting with the wide angle lens.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I like Idea #1 because you keep one each of the current OSes. Although I would personally ditch the A3 and keep the XZ1C as the Android representative. Chances are better than even money that you'll get updates with the Sony as opposed to the Samsung. Same goes for the SE since it has the A9 chip and should see another iOS version or two. I'm not confident there will be an SE refresh next year.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I like Idea #1 because you keep one each of the current OSes. Although I would personally ditch the A3 and keep the XZ1C as the Android representative. Chances are better than even money that you'll get updates with the Sony as opposed to the Samsung. Same goes for the SE since it has the A9 chip and should see another iOS version or two. I'm not confident there will be an SE refresh next year.

Thanks, I appreciate your input after reading my long rambling lol.

You do have a great point there (points actually). Still waiting on Nougat for the A3, which speaks to your point here. There are some Marshmallow quirks with it. The camera thing does bug me though. Pictures are more detailed and clearer with using another camera app as "default".

I don't know why Sony chose to punish switchers like me since getting the sim out, putting it back in and making sure that it is secure is such a pain with this generation. I really don't want to take it out until I'm sure that I wouldn't be putting it back in. On the hardware side, it will also be just fine.

The A3 could be tricky to get rid of, but it could be a great international phone. Decisions, decisions lol

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You have strong willpower so I believe that you can. You're good at that. I can relate with how you feel about selling the V20, that's kind of how I feel about selling the SE. I might as well hold on to it or trade it in at some point.

At least you do enjoy shooting with the wide angle lens.
The wide angle lens is a lot of fun, for me.

This willpower was paid for with many expensive missteps...so it ain't free or cheap.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I appreciate your input after reading my long rambling lol.

You do have a great point there (points actually). Still waiting on Nougat for the A3, which speaks to your point here. There are some Marshmallow quirks with it. The camera thing does bug me though. Pictures are more detailed and clearer with using another camera app as "default".

I don't know why Sony chose to punish switchers like me since getting the sim out, putting it back in and making sure that it is secure is such a pain with this generation. I really don't want to take it out until I'm sure that I wouldn't be putting it back in. On the hardware side, it will also be just fine.

The A3 could be tricky to get rid of, but it could be a great international phone. Decisions, decisions lol
You should have seen some of lemons I've picked up and moved - 99 has done so as well. You'd be surprised as to what you can sell if you need to. Your A3 can be sold.

Well, good luck with all this. I'm sure it'll work out for you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You should have seen some of lemons I've picked up and moved - 99 has done so as well. You'd be surprised as to what you can sell if you need to. Your A3 can be sold.

Well, good luck with all this. I'm sure it'll work out for you.

I will take your word for it. Thanks for the luck and hope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb