WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

i plan to read what i missed since i got time now
wow a lot has happened in a year for you. I do have a question why France?
A simple answer would be, why not France? But that won't satisfy your curiosity.

If you recall I've been to France a few times. I also like food and France is the place to be for that. But that's not the full reason.

My wife and I have been thinking about the future, as one does as you get older and what we would like. The plan was to work for another three to five years then move somewhere else. Possibly buy a farm and run a holiday let business.

Then Brexit happened. So we brought our plans forward. Our main concern was house prices and what might happen with them. On top of that my wife's business took a hit, lost about 80% of her business. So to put it bluntly, we decided it was time to go. We didn't want to be a part of this Brexit nonsense and we'd choose the time of our leaving. My wife is an EU citizen.

Thankfully our house price went up and we got a good price for it. We don't believe that prices will stay where they are next year but we could be wrong.

So we started thinking where we would like to live. France seemed the most likely place but we weren't 100% sure because they were going to have an election. But we started looking anyway. We liked France for several reasons, price of property being one of them.

Once the election was over and they elected a young energetic politician who wanted change we thought it was a good time to go to France. So we started looking for a place that would suit us. Close to a large city but far enough to be in rural France.

We looked in several places but when we found this place it ticked all the boxes save one or two things. It was a farm, four acres. It was a great price. It was close to a large city. It has great climate. It close to some nice towns as well. Where it didn't hit 100% was the lack of out buildings to turn into holiday lets and the fact it was uninhabitable. So lots of renovation and building to be done.

But for our budget, it's what we had to do. Such is life. Should be fun.

We're looking for anyone interested in working holidays. 🤣

Anyway, so plan is to renovate, farm, and do some side work that hopefully means not having to do office work anymore. A bit more healthier lifestyle.

So hopefully I answered your question well.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

A simple answer would be, why not France? But that won't satisfy your curiosity.

If you recall I've been to France a few times. I also like food and France is the place to be for that. But that's not the full reason.

My wife and I have been thinking about the future, as one does as you get older and what we would like. The plan was to work for another three to five years then move somewhere else. Possibly buy a farm and run a holiday let business.

Then Brexit happened. So we brought our plans forward. Our main concern was house prices and what might happen with them. On top of that my wife's business took a hit, lost about 80% of her business. So to put it bluntly, we decided it was time to go. We didn't want to be a part of this Brexit nonsense and we'd choose the time of our leaving. My wife is an EU citizen.

Thankfully our house price went up and we got a good price for it. We don't believe that prices will stay where they are next year but we could be wrong.

So we started thinking where we would like to live. France seemed the most likely place but we weren't 100% sure because they were going to have an election. But we started looking anyway. We liked France for several reasons, price of property being one of them.

Once the election was over and they elected a young energetic politician who wanted change we thought it was a good time to go to France. So we started looking for a place that would suit us. Close to a large city but far enough to be in rural France.

We looked in several places but when we found this place it ticked all the boxes save one or two things. It was a farm, four acres. It was a great price. It was close to a large city. It has great climate. It close to some nice towns as well. Where it didn't hit 100% was the lack of out buildings to turn into holiday lets and the fact it was uninhabitable. So lots of renovation and building to be done.

But for our budget, it's what we had to do. Such is life. Should be fun.

We're looking for anyone interested in working holidays. ??????

Anyway, so plan is to renovate, farm, and do some side work that hopefully means not having to do office work anymore. A bit more healthier lifestyle.

So hopefully I answered your question well.
that did answer all my questions :p! so a holiday let is like airbnb ? i cant find what it is on the interwebs. :amaze: but anyways that i think that is really great move. Best of luck to you and your wife.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

that did answer all my questions :p! so a holiday let is like airbnb ? i cant find what it is on the interwebs. :amaze: but anyways that i think that is really great move. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Yes, sort of like AirBnB but in France there's this thing called a 'gite'. It's a self catering holiday cabin kind of thing. We're thinking of building two, maybe three. Sort of depends.

We're also thinking bed and breakfast as well. It's likely we'll be in a position to do that first before the gites. It's a way to bring in some extra income without having to do a whole extra building right away.

We have a few ideas about a lot of things but it's sort of a money/time thing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

i plan to read what i missed since i got time now :p

You're brave... though the thread hasn't moved that swiftly so maybe not too bad.

Though it's been sort of boring lately. No offence to anyone but I find talking about phones about as exciting as talking about sport...

1za9y6.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're brave... though the thread hasn't moved that swiftly so maybe not too bad.

Though it's been sort of boring lately. No offence to anyone but I find talking about phones about as exciting as talking about sport...

View attachment 138126
You've always been like that, so no news there.

Meanwhile in 'Murica, we've got the "leadership" pushing the new old savior of the middle class - trickle down economics. Now, stop me if you've heard this before (and we have)...

...the plan is to give the wealthy more money so they can spend it and eventually people like me will get an increase in wages.

Meanwhile, the wealthy are always looking for ways to hide money in tax free shelters. So if they're not trying to spend more money, what will they do if we let them pay less taxes?

These mofos are as in touch with reality as a dude smoking in a smoke free zone insisting on his rights not to be told what to do with his fancy cigars...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You've always been like that, so no news there.

Meanwhile in 'Murica, we've got the "leadership" pushing the new old savior of the middle class - trickle down economics. Now, stop me if you've heard this before (and we have)...

...the plan is to give the wealthy more money so they can spend it and eventually people like me will get an increase in wages.

Meanwhile, the wealthy are always looking for ways to hide money in tax free shelters. So if they're not trying to spend more money, what will they do if we let them pay less taxes?

These mofos are as in touch with reality as a dude smoking in a smoke free zone insisting on his rights not to be told what to do with his fancy cigars...

It is thus the new (old) way of doing things. Instead of spreading wealth, give to people who don't need it in hopes they spread it instead. Brilliant idea there.

If the past 10 years (since the financial crisis) has taught us anything is that the wealthy should never ever be trusted with extra funds. All the do is increase their wealth and give little back.

Wealthy people are greedy. They think this is good. They do everything to make themselves wealthier while reducing wages, benefits, holidays, etc. Thing is, wealthy people can only spend so much. An economy cannot be made on wealthy people spending. Nor them only investing.

The world is a crazy place and seems to get crazier as time goes by. Of course, I'm sure many people have said that about their own time. Just goes to show how little humans learn.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just to give an idea of how stressful life has been. We just finally exchanged contracts on my house here in the UK. Completion is Dec 1st. It's felt like forever. This should have been done by now.

The buyers of our property have been frustrating to say the least. The lady in particular doesn't seem to handle stress that well at all. They were very green to the whole process which didn't make it any easier.

They're a bit weird in general.

I'll be happy when it's all over and done with.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It is thus the new (old) way of doing things. Instead of spreading wealth, give to people who don't need it in hopes they spread it instead. Brilliant idea there.

If the past 10 years (since the financial crisis) has taught us anything is that the wealthy should never ever be trusted with extra funds. All the do is increase their wealth and give little back.

Wealthy people are greedy. They think this is good. They do everything to make themselves wealthier while reducing wages, benefits, holidays, etc. Thing is, wealthy people can only spend so much. An economy cannot be made on wealthy people spending. Nor them only investing.

The world is a crazy place and seems to get crazier as time goes by. Of course, I'm sure many people have said that about their own time. Just goes to show how little humans learn.
"Those who don't seek to understand their history are often doomed to repeat it."

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

"Those who don't seek to understand their history are often doomed to repeat it."

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana (the original quote)

Though I do like this one:

"People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors." - Edmund Burke

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Good to hear it. Flashing successfully a ROM or side loading an update can be a nice feeling of accomplishment when done correctly...

Yeah I agree with that, I felt like I completed a major achievement. I was scared (of getting my phone stuck in a bootloop) but no regrets. Not sure if I'm on a level to root but I wouldn't mind doing this again if Samsung decides to release Oreo next year.

Currently using it as a phone for a week to see how this goes.

Edit: The important app that didn't work on 6.0.1 has notifications that work perfectly! \o/

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 138126

I would pretend to be offended about how you feel about talking about sports but nah, I have a good amount of friends like you when it comes to that. You like what you like, which is cool. It's always good to see you comment when you do though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I would pretend to be offended about how you feel about talking about sports but nah, I have a good amount of friends like you when it comes to that. You like what you like, which is cool. It's always good to see you comment when you do though.

I have nothing against other people liking sport but I often feel that in general, it takes over the TV, news and other things in life, like general conversation, way too much.

There's so much more to life than sport. Also, if sport actually gave back to the community (it typically doesn't or just tokenish) then I'd feel probably different about it. All I see sport doing is taking more than giving.

But that's my view on it of course. Others will feel different.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I have nothing against other people liking sport but I often feel that in general, it takes over the TV, news and other things in life, like general conversation, way too much.

There's so much more to life than sport. Also, if sport actually gave back to the community (it typically doesn't or just tokenish) then I'd feel probably different about it. All I see sport doing is taking more than giving.

But that's my view on it of course. Others will feel different.

Fair point, you're not wrong about that at all.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Rue's reply reminded me of an awful story that I read on Friday about a young lady (who was a teenager at the time) pretending to be a middle aged man online with kids to write about baseball. She was so good that she got picked up for paid gigs but she was a terrible human being to other women who she was talking to as a fake persona. https://deadspin.com/teen-girl-posed-for-8-years-as-married-man-to-write-abo-1820305588

Come to think of it, MIA might find this to be interesting.

It's a shame that she was a terrible human but feeling like she had to put on this fake identity to write about baseball is something that I can get. It's stupid and annoying that some men and even women, think that women can't write about baseball in the way that a man can. Even a professional female sportswriter that I kind of follow on Twitter who normally reports on the Nationals was asked if she was a cheerleader while reporting during the postseason. She didn't feel like debating that day, she just had to get in.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Even a professional female sportswriter that I kind of follow on Twitter who normally reports on the Nationals was asked if she was a cheerleader while reporting during the postseason. She didn't feel like debating that day, she just had to get in.

There are more and more women over here doing sports reporting and no one seems to bat an eye. I think it's fairly commonplace here in Europe in general. That doesn't mean the 'big star reporters' aren't men though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

There are more and more women over here doing sports reporting and no one seems to bat an eye. I think it's fairly commonplace here in Europe in general. That doesn't mean the 'big star reporters' aren't men though.

I think you guys are more ahead over there. We do have women doing sports reporting but there's still the myth that they either slept with someone to get there or general sexist comments. I think I see more women doing sports reporting on local news(papers) over on a national level.

On a related thing, there's a double standard when it comes to appearance that another local female reporter touched on that I never thought about. More of the women doing it are in the gym a lot, when on the flip side of things, a good amount of males are not and they aren't expected to be. I didn't mean to go there but again, this made me think about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa