WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I don't disagree at all that there's more to life than sports. But for so many, it's the only escape from the rat race. I'm not one of those who live and die by the latest scores but for a few hours Saturday night I was totally disconnected from civilization as I watched my beloved 'Canes "Convicts" take the "Catholics" of Notre Dame behind the woodshed. Didn't change my life one iota but it sure felt good.

Didn't the Roman Emperors use sport to 'distract' the plebs?

I totally understand the 'feelings' brought on by sports. I'm not 100% immune to it and I did like sport to some extent when I was younger. I've just become less interested and enthused these days, especially when I think about the money, lack of sports personality (they're so boring these days!) and the other aspects which I find appalling that I can't really get over.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I once drove a semi-automatic. You have a stick just like you're used to, but no clutch. You just release the gas pedal when you want to switch gears. Now that car was a definition of a PITA. Every once in a while I'd the brake thinking it was a clutch, nailing my face to the wheel.

My car is semi-auto in a very real sense. It's got an automatic clutch, which is why I have such good fuel economy but unfortunately the gear changing is horrible and there's a few flat spots at the front end.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's been very nondescript using the Mi Note 2 again. That's what I like - it does what I need it to do, and says out of the way. I don't feel like I have to nurse or even be cognisant of the battery as much as the V20.

We'll see if Andy's phone can do the same.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My car is semi-auto in a very real sense. It's got an automatic clutch, which is why I have such good fuel economy but unfortunately the gear changing is horrible and there's a few flat spots at the front end.
Yup. I find that with my Acura. Not so much with the Toyota though. I suspect that's because there's just way too much horsepower (215 versus 270).

Newer cars now have 8 speed transmissions which address the issue that you mentioned and also get great fuel economy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Do you use this app?
I occasionally use WhatsApp web.

I was just pasting that for Sahib who wanted PC SMS. There's Whatsapp web and hangouts still as options but he seemed keen on SMS...

There's also Facebook messenger but I believe he's not on Facebook.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yup. I find that with my Acura. Not so much with the Toyota though. I suspect that's because there's just way too much horsepower (215 versus 270).

Newer cars now have 8 speed transmissions which address the issue that you mentioned and also get great fuel economy.

Mine is 6 speed. On the whole it's ok it's just sometimes when I put my foot down in first it goes flat and there's no pickup. Not ideal when you want to move quickly.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Mine is 6 speed. On the whole it's ok it's just sometimes when I put my foot down in first it goes flat and there's no pickup. Not ideal when you want to move quickly.
Maybe because your car has a turbo charged engine?
But I do agree at least the first year get to is easier with a manual especially for lower horsepower cars.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Maybe because your car has a turbo charged engine?
But I do agree at least the first year get to is easier with a manual especially for lower horsepower cars.
Yeah it's a turbo diesel. So that's probably it. It doesn't do it all the time though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It's a little technical to explain but the main reason for all these new multi-speed transmissions comes down to smaller fuel efficient engines. They don't possess the torque to provide the acceleration we're accustomed to due to their peaky torque curves. Larger, more powerful engines have flatter torque curves and remain in peak power bands longer and throughout the power range. Step on the gas at anytime and oomph is there for you. Smaller engines need the hamsters spooled up all the time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's a little technical to explain but the main reason for all these new multi-speed transmissions comes down to smaller fuel efficient engines. They don't possess the torque to provide the acceleration we're accustomed to due to their peaky torque curves. Larger, more powerful engines have flatter torque curves and remain in peak power bands longer and throughout the power range. Step on the gas at anytime and oomph is there for you. Smaller engines need the hamsters spooled up all the time.
Understand. I've driven a few small engine cars with some great pickup. This one isn't one.

I think with my car in particular it's a known issue due to the automatic clutch not engaging quick enough. Though I'm not sure.

My car is a bit different...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Look what came in to work today. Hopefully I can check it out.

On a related note, glad that the network is working again.
09ee3de603425901da46b34f1aa9b449.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6