WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I am very annoyed this morning at work. I will behave though, because Laura doesn't like a potty mouth...and if I really start talking, it'll sound like a toilet that's busted and hasn't been cleaned in 25 years...

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Only in North America would this statement be true. The vast majority of countries still have manual cars as the car most people drive. That's not to say that automatic isn't becoming more popular, especially in the more expensive cars like BMWs but most cars on the road here are still manuals. Same goes for France and most EU countries.

Also, something to note. A degree is only one aspect of your resume. Most people get hired on other things (skills, abilities or just attitude) rather than what piece of paper they have. The paper is important but it isn't the main reason you got hired.

Agreed. You have far better chances of spotting a manual over automatic here. Automatics are being heavily avoided on our most popular buy/seel website, and they tend to be fairly cheaper than the same car with manual shifting.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Believe me when I say this, keeping in mind that the majority of people I drive with on the road drive a manual car.

People who drive manuals are not better drivers. They still text on their phones, which is more dangerous. It's illegal here in the UK but people still do it. All ages too.

Driving a manual does not make you a better driver in any way shape or form. People still suck at driving regardless.

Lastly, when I lived in Canada, a lot of people who drove manuals sucked at hills and always did roll backs. In countries where manual is common, people NEVER do this. You'd get honked at or given the finger.

I speak from over 14 years of living and driving in countries where manual cars are the norm.

You're not a real driver if you don't know how to start with a parking brake on the hill :D.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'm not much of a wine drinker or a drinker in general.

This plan started last year, around September when we first started thinking more seriously about the referendum result and what it might mean for us.

Not sure if I ever told the story of my moving to Australia or if you saw if I did.

When I moved to Australia I went from one life in Canada to another Australia between January and November in 2003. It was a really big change.

I know you're not a drinker, but I had to mention it.

I can get what you're saying. GB, and Europe in general, has really changed alot in the past few years. Rise of the nationalism is surprisingly worrying, it just came out of nowhere. (Or more like people stopped being afraid of expressing the kind of morons they were).

When all this is happening in the *Europe* (Germany, France, Spain and similar), what can one expect from a place such is my Balkan with it's every-50-years-war tradition.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

My car is semi-auto in a very real sense. It's got an automatic clutch, which is why I have such good fuel economy but unfortunately the gear changing is horrible and there's a few flat spots at the front end.

That can be an issue with automatics.

I recently rode in my dad's friend's VW Jeta 2009. Also an automatic car, first of kind for him to own. And all he has to say are very positive experiences. Which I witnessed myself. You just can't feel when the gear is switched. That's it. No bumping or anything, smooth as a butter. It's also a tiptronic which is a nice addition.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Yup. I find that with my Acura. Not so much with the Toyota though. I suspect that's because there's just way too much horsepower (215 versus 270).

Newer cars now have 8 speed transmissions which address the issue that you mentioned and also get great fuel economy.

And here I thought 6 gears in my Mercedes was too much.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I am very annoyed this morning at work. I will behave though, because Laura doesn't like a potty mouth...and if I really start talking, it'll sound like a toilet that's busted and hasn't been cleaned in 25 years...

It's morning? How many timezones NY is from me, I surely never thought it was that much.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

It's a little technical to explain but the main reason for all these new multi-speed transmissions comes down to smaller fuel efficient engines. They don't possess the torque to provide the acceleration we're accustomed to due to their peaky torque curves. Larger, more powerful engines have flatter torque curves and remain in peak power bands longer and throughout the power range. Step on the gas at anytime and oomph is there for you. Smaller engines need the hamsters spooled up all the time.

Hamsters :p???!!! oh gosh that was great lol

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That can be an issue with automatics.

I recently rode in my dad's friend's VW Jeta 2009. Also an automatic car, first of kind for him to own. And all he has to say are very positive experiences. Which I witnessed myself. You just can't feel when the gear is switched. That's it. No bumping or anything, smooth as a butter. It's also a tiptronic which is a nice addition.
My car you can feel the gear changes. It feels like a manual in a very real way. But it's not.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Next week is discounted **** week, AKA Black Friday. I'm not excited as I have to spend money, but I want to see if I can what I want for the price I want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb