WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I sideloaded the Google camera onto my EP. It's pretty sweet indeed. And while I don't see a 360 camera as being essential, I've used it a lot over the past few weeks. It works quite well. I still have not suffered from any reported camera issues with it.
That's good! How's battery life and signal been for you? I read your post over there and I don't recall seeing those two things.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

No worries. I do like Andy's phone. There is a part of me who has no problem waiting as if they do put out the green color that k want, I'll get that. Otherwise, I'm fine with getting the white. The black is cool and all, but the white looks SO good.

What makes Andy's phone appealing isn't the price, but the fact that due to the snafus at the beginning, their team is pumping out a **** tin of updates and supporting the phone really well so far. I wonder if Andy just does decide to take an L on this phone and drop the price over the holidays to get more people using it for brand awareness so come next year they put on a better sequel...
Gotcha. If that was to happen, it would make things very interesting. The green is nice though but I also agree on the white.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

That's good! How's battery life and signal been for you? I read your post over there and I don't recall seeing those two things.
Battery life is actually quite good. I'm a mid tier user, so I've never been too heavy on device battery life, although the Nexus 6P battery always underperformed for me. I take the EP off the charger at 5am and plug it in every night around 10:30 with around 30% remaining. This is after checking email throughout the day, maybe checking Facebook and Instagram during lunch, and sending probably 25 to 35 texts. Sometimes I'll stream audio to and from work too.
Signal has been fine for me. I've never dropped out of 4G/LTE, but I have gone down to like 2 bars in spots.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So after doing random searching on the A3 I have, I realized why I have some extra entries in settings and why it can't search for updates after flashing.

The Galaxy A3 that I own is the unlocked (or slightly modified) variant for a Latin American country. Apparently that version never got 7.0. The firmware I flashed is the same country but the carrier version. I don't regret flashing but I guess this means that I can't ever go back to what the original version was. It would be nicer to have the cleanest one possible but I'm glad to have my apps work right.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Battery life is actually quite good. I'm a mid tier user, so I've never been too heavy on device battery life, although the Nexus 6P battery always underperformed for me. I take the EP off the charger at 5am and plug it in every night around 10:30 with around 30% remaining. This is after checking email throughout the day, maybe checking Facebook and Instagram during lunch, and sending probably 25 to 35 texts. Sometimes I'll stream audio to and from work too.
Signal has been fine for me. I've never dropped out of 4G/LTE, but I have gone down to like 2 bars in spots.

Cool, that's good to know. I was just curious.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

And today is my last day at cricket wireless 😀😀😀😀😀😀 . It felt good clocking out for the last time

Sent from mTalk using Alcatel Idol 4s

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So after doing random searching on the A3 I have, I realized why I have some extra entries in settings and why it can't search for updates after flashing.

The Galaxy A3 that I own is the unlocked (or slightly modified) variant for a Latin American country. Apparently that version never got 7.0. The firmware I flashed is the same country but the carrier version. I don't regret flashing but I guess this means that I can't ever go back to what the original version was. It would be nicer to have the cleanest one possible but I'm glad to have my apps work right.
That's Samsung for you. Buy hey, I went through that with the Moto Maxx so all OEMs are guilty of it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good to hear. My guess for me with my current usage I'll get 1 day easily with heavy use and 2 days with medium to light usage.

I like the black color but the white so impresses me...but the green is my favorite. I'm hopeful they resolve their yield issues for that as I have no problem waiting.

If Andy is smart, he's got to figure out when to launch the successor. If priced right, he could get away with a June- August launch.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Gotcha. If that was to happen, it would make things very interesting. The green is nice though but I also agree on the white.
It all boils down to how the tinkerers respond to this device once source code becomes more available. I was reading where it uses a similar sort of partition for the OTAs as Nexus and Pixel devices. That could be appealing for those devs.

I still think it's a quality device where if they cameras were better at launch but still got the same heavy software support, they could have justified keeping the price drop small. It's a great foundation design wise to build on. I personally would prefer them not add Qi built in and go the Lumia 925 with a snap on case for that and for the headphone jack via the mod pins.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

It all boils down to how the tinkerers respond to this device once source code becomes more available. I was reading where it uses a similar sort of partition for the OTAs as Nexus and Pixel devices. That could be appealing for those devs.

I still think it's a quality device where if they cameras were better at launch but still got the same heavy software support, they could have justified keeping the price drop small. It's a great foundation design wise to build on. I personally would prefer them not add Qi built in and go the Lumia 925 with a snap on case for that and for the headphone jack via the mod pins.

I agree. I look forward to what they do next. I wouldn't made case mods either, but they'll have to figure out how to navigate around the pins. I'm using a case on mine that has a cutout for the 360 camera. It works fine, but might be unappealing to some users. If they can figure out a more universally appealing way of utilizing cases while maintaining easy access to the pins, it'll be cool to see what attachments they can come up with.

I just bought a white one this morning. Going to compare the two and probably sell my black one. I couldn't resist the color. 😁🤘

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Good to hear. My guess for me with my current usage I'll get 1 day easily with heavy use and 2 days with medium to light usage.

I like the black color but the white so impresses me...but the green is my favorite. I'm hopeful they resolve their yield issues for that as I have no problem waiting.

If Andy is smart, he's got to figure out when to launch the successor. If priced right, he could get away with a June- August launch.
The black definitely looks really nice in a minimalist way. It just looks like a polished rectangle of glass. Very eye catching. I agree, though, the white looks really nice. Reminds me of when I bought my first 1520 in white. It stood out so much. Ultimately, I'm really looking forward to the green model. The gray looks great too though.
I don't know if any of you are on Facebook, but I have some samples of the 360 camera on my page: Scienceguy Labs. I also have a few on my Instagram page: scienceguylabs.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The black definitely looks really nice in a minimalist way. It just looks like a polished rectangle of glass. Very eye catching. I agree, though, the white looks really nice. Reminds me of when I bought my first 1520 in white. It stood out so much. Ultimately, I'm really looking forward to the green model. The gray looks great too though.
I don't know if any of you are on Facebook, but I have some samples of the 360 camera on my page: Scienceguy Labs. I also have a few on my Instagram page: scienceguylabs.
I'm in this place where I'd get a black one to hold me over until the green one comes out OR I'd buy a white and skip the green entirely. I don't think I have the patience to go from black to white to green. Lol.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm in this place where I'd get a black one to hold me over until the green one comes out OR I'd buy a white and skip the green entirely. I don't think I have the patience to go from black to white to green. Lol.
It would have been nice if they would've had all four colors available at launch, but oh well.

And I can't figure out how to post a link to a 360 picture on my Facebook page. 😒

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It would have been nice if they would've had all four colors available at launch, but oh well.

And I can't figure out how to post a link to a 360 picture on my Facebook page. 😒
It has been the yield issues. I'm not surprised because even Xiaomi has always had those problems whenever they did ceramic phones for the special edition Mi 5, Mi Mix, Mi Note 2, etc. Even OnePlus ran into it for the OnePlus X. That's why those guys always did limited editions with smaller quantities.

Ceramic is tough (break wise not scratches wise), and it's the colors that's the problem too. White is easier because ceramic is normally white. Black is easier to make too. The trouble becomes dying for other colors.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

It has been the yield issues. I'm not surprised because even Xiaomi has always had those problems whenever they did ceramic phones for the special edition Mi 5, Mi Mix, Mi Note 2, etc. Even OnePlus ran into it for the OnePlus X. That's why those guys always did limited editions with smaller quantities.

Ceramic is tough (break wise not scratches wise), and it's the colors that's the problem too. White is easier because ceramic is normally white. Black is easier to make too. The trouble becomes dying for other colors.
That makes sense. I think it would be cool if they did swirl, psychedelic colored ceramic...if that's even possible. Then you'd have no two phones alike. Kinda like some bands used to do when pressing vinyl records. I still have a few swirly Smashing Pumpkins vinyl records. Ha ha

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That's Samsung for you. Buy hey, I went through that with the Moto Maxx so all OEMs are guilty of it.
Ugh now I know. Since you mentioned this, I'll save myself the 2 hours of downloading a similar one just to see if it is cleaner...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ugh now I know. Since you mentioned this, I'll save myself the 2 hours of downloading a similar one just to see if it is cleaner...
You can try it to see...don't let me stop you. I'm using a carrier ROM on my V20 right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6