WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

This comment scares me.
Why feel scared? It's what Juan Bagnell has been talking about and other for a while now - they killed the 3.5mm jack prematurely without a proper USB-C replacement.

I got a dongle with Andy's phone and I'm not ******* with that.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Why feel scared? It's what Juan Bagnell has been talking about and other for a while now - they killed the 3.5mm jack prematurely without a proper USB-C replacement.

I got a dongle with Andy's phone and I'm not ******* with that.
Plus all the proprietary dongle crap is a pure money grab as well.

Google dongle is okay with Pixel but doesn't sound great with Andy's phone. You need to use the Essential dongle. And the Moto Z USB-C dongle doesn't work with either phone.

On a side note the V30 DAC just blows the audio from these USB-C dongles out of the water.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Google dongle is okay with Pixel but doesn't sound great with Andy's phone. You need to use the Essential dongle. And the Moto Z USB-C dongle doesn't work with either phone.

On a side note the V30 DAC just blows the audio from these USB-C dongles out of the water.
You're preaching to the choir here as I've been wanting about that here for months now.

This was the real reason why the U11 in Solar Red isn't my daily driver. The three phones I liked this year were the V30, U11 and Andy's phone. I could have even excused the lack of 3.5mm jack had HTC not gone the proprietary headphones route. Would I get one as a collector piece? Dunno - the HTC 10 fits that bill better.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far, the wireless headphones are OK. Phone call audio on this unit is mono and in one ear bud only - that sucks.

We'll see how they hold up on Monday for the commute.
So of course, one falls out of my ear. I was going to get the pair for $150 that happens ok over your ear, but u was reading about too much pairing issues. Oh well...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That reminds me of the early 2000s before 3.5mm headphone jacks were standard. What's old is new again. 😞

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

We're having Ethiopian food tonight at our favorite restaurant. They've tweaked the menu (a lateral move to me), so instead of sharing a meal, we've ordered separately for the first time.

Should be interesting...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

In terms of built in DAC though, the USB-C audio in the S835 isn't horrible. It sounds OK through those cheap headphones I have when enabling the EQ...but if you like to listen to your music flat, the V30 destroys everything else, I'm sure.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

We're having Ethiopian food tonight at our favorite restaurant. They've tweaked the menu (a lateral move to me), so instead of sharing a meal, we've ordered separately for the first time.

Should be interesting...
Food was still good, but we could tell the chef was different. Kinda preferred the previous chef...

That's the trouble with living in a sophisticated food town - you want the restaurant to what it's know for very well, but the restaurant doesn't want to be stale and lose customers...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Food was still good, but we could tell the chef was different. Kinda preferred the previous chef...

That's the trouble with living in a sophisticated food town - you want the restaurant to what it's know for very well, but the restaurant doesn't want to be stale and lose customers...
I'm glad the food was still decent. Would you be able to enquire where the previous chef works now? I'm sure he must be around somewhere, since he has a great reputation.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad the food was still decent. Would you be able to enquire where the previous chef works now? I'm sure he must be around somewhere, since he has a great reputation.
Sadly, no. It's not a high end place. Even though it's a part of a chain of three, we like to go the OG site (which we went to last night).

It's interesting when you're a regular at a restaurant and can tell when changes happen in the kitchen. We had a favorite Spanish tapas place that closed a few years ago that we frequented alot. We went there one day and instantly knew the chef was changed. The co owners used to walk around to talk to the patrons. So we we're in a quiet corner with no other guests sitting nearby when the co owner checked in with us:

Co-owner: Good evening guys. How's everything?
MIA: Food and service is good, thanks. (pauses) One quick question?
Co-owner: Yes?
MIA: Did you guys change chefs?
Co-owner (pauses, a little surprised look flashes): No, I don't think we did.
MIA: Ok. Just curious. Food is still good.
Co-owner: I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your meal.

Yes, it's a no-no to ask as he didn't want to lose customers...but they ended up closing within the year after that visit. They were a spin-off of a more established restaurant. We went to the OG place once and the GF preferred the one that closed (so did I).

I do have to point out an elephant in the room - because the GF and I are brown people, it is always interesting being the only one of those walking into non-brown people dominant spaces. We get those looks, and I'm sure that co-owner was trying to process how we knew there were changes in the kitchen. We knew there were because the last two visits the restaurant wasn't as busy as we were used to - and we would go there at the start of dinner during high traffic days.

I'll blog about this in greater detail too. Lol.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sadly, no. It's not a high end place. Even though it's a part of a chain of three, we like to go the OG site (which we went to last night).

It's interesting when you're a regular at a restaurant and can tell when changes happen in the kitchen. We had a favorite Spanish tapas place that closed a few years ago that we frequented alot. We went there one day and instantly knew the chef was changed. The co owners used to walk around to talk to the patrons. So we we're in a quiet corner with no other guests sitting nearby when the co owner checked in with us:

Co-owner: Good evening guys. How's everything?
MIA: Food and service is good, thanks. (pauses) One quick question?
Co-owner: Yes?
MIA: Did you guys change chefs?
Co-owner (pauses, a little surprised look flashes): No, I don't think we did.
MIA: Ok. Just curious. Food is still good.
Co-owner: I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your meal.

Yes, it's a no-no to ask as he didn't want to lose customers...but they ended up closing within the year after that visit. They were a spin-off of a more established restaurant. We went to the OG place once and the GF preferred the one that closed (so did I).

I do have to point out an elephant in the room - because the GF and I are brown people, it is always interesting being the only one of those walking into non-brown people dominant spaces. We get those looks, and I'm sure that co-owner was trying to process how we knew there were changes in the kitchen. We knew there were because the last two visits the restaurant wasn't as busy as we were used to - and we would go there at the start of dinner during high traffic days.

I'll blog about this in greater detail too. Lol.

Hmm interesting. When you do, please let me know (if you remember of course) because I'm curious on your thoughts on this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My Pixel 2 decided to come early yesterday instead of Monday. I wasn't home so I was surprised to see the email that it was actually delivered after all.

I am annoyed by this (there's a 15 day return window from the day it was delivered so I have until New Year's Eve over say the 2nd of January) but I guess the flip side is that I can use it for a whole week.

Edit: I thought this was the case, but since I ordered it between December 8 to December 25, the return window has been extended to January 21! That's a solid 36 days! Wow this is awesome.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ahh someone who doesn't know me just tried to pair me with a friend at church. That was quite awkward...

Sitting together does not equal being together.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My Pixel 2 decided to come early yesterday instead of Monday. I wasn't home so I was surprised to see the email that it was actually delivered after all.

I am annoyed by this (there's a 15 day return window from the day it was delivered so I have until New Year's Eve over say the 2nd of January) but I guess the flip side is that I can use it for a whole week.

Edit: I thought this was the case, but since I ordered it between December 8 to December 25, the return window has been extended to January 21! That's a solid 36 days! Wow this is awesome.
Interestingly enough, for the first time (I think it is the 1st time), Google has a sale that just started yesterday that brings down the price of the regular Pixel to $599. Actually I think I'm going to return it. The difference between the 2 (sale price Pixel and regular price Pixel) is $53.

I can wait for it to come back again. I just opened it but thankfully, I only opened the shipping box and not the box with the phone in it. I can actually care less for the Mini code I'm supposed to get with keeping this, I would rather save the $53.

Edit: Ooh now I'm torn. I can return it and get the $53 back and get the white instead (can't get the blue I currently have now, ships in 3-4 weeks) OR lose the $53 and keep the blue color that I have now. Not dying for the $53, it would probably go to Amazon for sure and I'll be getting that amount in a gift card for Christmas.

Edit 2: Still haven't opened it but wouldn't it be silly to order the same phone twice and not try it at all? Hmm...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077