WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Thank you.

Of course it will be an adjustment but I think the part that is probably scary to my subconscious is that SO many are hoping for me to do this successfully. My mom literally told me that she doesn't want a Christmas present because she got one from me by going to grad school. The lady that essentially started my career is super excited and pulling for me, and my boss too.

I have also had previous school struggles too and that is rolling in as well. My subconscious is having a time. I remember being in my last semester near the end and I was having recurring nightmares that I failed...even though that wasn't possible technically since I had great grades at midterm but you're right, I can do it.
You're doing this for yourself, not your mom or mentor. If grad school defines you, then what were you before? Chin up!! Always up!!

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So after about 24 hours of using the V30 with the Nova Launcher (looking kinda like my Pixel 2), I came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to get the Pixel 2 XL after all.

Ergo in the holiday spirit season, I decided to spoil myself and bought a Black Pixel 2 XL.

I will give you guys an update in the new year as to how things are.

Now I need to offload a bunch of phones since now I have officially parked way too much cash in devices :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thank you.

Of course it will be an adjustment but I think the part that is probably scary to my subconscious is that SO many are hoping for me to do this successfully. My mom literally told me that she doesn't want a Christmas present because she got one from me by going to grad school. The lady that essentially started my career is super excited and pulling for me, and my boss too.

I have also had previous school struggles too and that is rolling in as well. My subconscious is having a time. I remember being in my last semester near the end and I was having recurring nightmares that I failed...even though that wasn't possible technically since I had great grades at midterm but you're right, I can do it.

Grad school was one of the most enriching and fun time in my life.
It was a very humbling experience as well. Some really terrible setbacks - If I look back with the knowledge/experience acquired since graduation almost 2 decades ago - which I though I handled with a lot more enthusiasm and optimism than I would do today.

In the end I thought I came out ahead in a lot of ways - financially, mentally and socially. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with - went to all of their weddings. Was able to do some really cool research which is relevant even today. Learnt how to recover from setbacks on my own since I was here by myself.

I think if you decide you want to approach grad school with an attitude that this time is going to be something that will be with you forever then I think you will do well in school and have fun as well.

Good luck and stay positive. Always.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I may encourage you find your own space to process previous school struggles. I'm not suggesting therapy, but some sort of therapeutic space (therapy/mentor/religious elder, etc) may be helpful.

Graduate school is stressful on its own, so managing other stressors makes a difference.
I will think about it, thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So after about 24 hours of using the V30 with the Nova Launcher (looking kinda like my Pixel 2), I came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to get the Pixel 2 XL after all.

Ergo in the holiday spirit season, I decided to spoil myself and bought a Black Pixel 2 XL.

Now I need to offload a bunch of phones since now I have officially parked way too much cash in devices :)

Ooh nice! You were halfway to the Pixel 2 XL anyway.
Congrats, I'll be looking forward to the update!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It was a very humbling experience as well. Some really terrible setbacks - If I look back with the knowledge/experience acquired since graduation almost 2 decades ago - which I though I handled with a lot more enthusiasm and optimism than I would do today.

In the end I thought I came out ahead in a lot of ways - financially, mentally and socially. I made some really great friends that I still keep in touch with - went to all of their weddings. Was able to do some really cool research which is relevant even today. Learnt how to recover from setbacks on my own since I was here by myself.

I think if you decide you want to approach grad school with an attitude that this time is going to be something that will be with you forever then I think you will do well in school and have fun as well.

Wow. Thank you for sharing that viewpoint and your experience.

You're so right about the attitude. Also thank you for the luck as well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Got my OG Pixel trade in kit today. It's so much better now. I'm debating if I should send it tomorrow or the day after Christmas. The latter is way less busy. From my location, it seems like it needs 3 days to get there.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Got my OG Pixel trade in kit today. It's so much better now. I'm debating if I should send it tomorrow or the day after Christmas. The latter is way less busy. From my location, it seems like needs 3 days to get there.
Which ever works best for your schedule.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ibid.

While I disliked the days of dealing with the cold nights and those long days of work + long commute + classes, juggling stressful work days and intense readings and discussions, it was very helpful.

The best part about it was reinforcing the choices I made as far off sticking with my current profession. As tired as I may be with my current job, my professional tolerance is even higher and my ability to work under pressure and at a more frentic pace is better because of graduate school.

I hope your graduate experience is as formative in your own ways as mine was for me and 99's was for him.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ibid.

While I disliked the days of dealing with the cold nights and those long days of work + long commute + classes, juggling stressful work days and intense readings and discussions, it was very helpful.

The best part about it was reinforcing the choices I made as far off sticking with my current profession. As tired as I may be with my current job, my professional tolerance is even higher and my ability to work under pressure and at a more frentic pace is better because of graduate school.

I hope your graduate experience is as formative in your own ways as mine was for me and 99's was for him.

This is interesting to read, thank you for also sharing that and also thank you for the hopes. I will find out, and also allow myself to be really open to the experience.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

True, but for some reason, it feels easier to do it with things I have full control over things with less control.
I get you, but you'd be surprised the some of the things we feel aren't within our control actually are, and vice versa.

The trick is to figuring out which is which and to work accordingly.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like ALL are for sale...

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Of course, there must be a very good reason...

iKKG4Uu.jpg

... !

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

Crazy! Anyone else here been / like ice skating?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

Crazy! Anyone else here been / like ice skating?
My kid goes ice skating. I tried it a couple of times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb