WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

Crazy! Anyone else here been / like ice skating?
Good luck! I tried ice skating as a kid but was never able to stay upright very long.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Well I went ice skating yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I can go and turn and stop but can't go backwards or anything advanced like that. It was amazingly great fun to the point where I'd really like to buy a pair of skates and start going more regularly but it's like a minefield out there with so much information it's hard to know what's the best fit.

Did it during my uni days in Ottawa. For someone who grew up in the tropics, winter, snow & Christmas is quite an experience.
The water level of the Rideau canal is always lowered enough to freeze over.. Managed to learn to skate a bit, slightly different from roller skating!!
... and it was freezing!! Coldest I experienced was -40C in a storm c/w bone shattering wind-chills.

... !

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm from Canada... Need I say more?

I"ve been skating since I was 4 years old. Haven't been for some time now though.

My thoughts on skates is simple. Buy the best you can afford like most things. Always best to try them on in person. Skates will always require sharpening so keep that in mind. Oil them when not in use to prevent rust.

I've always been a fan of Bauer skates myself.

Apparently the Bauer Supreme S140 are good for recreational skating even though they're a hockey skate.

The better fit the more control you have of your skating. Laces are better than Velcro straps.

These Bauer's have a heat moulding to your foot so they're optimal for beginners and recreational users.

Probably the biggest mistake anyone makes when buying skates is being the wrong size and then they're uncomfortable.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There are actually a few ice skating rinks down here, I guess they want to make the snowbirds feel at home. I found ice skating to be easier than roller skating just as I found snow skiing infinitely easier than water skiing.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

20 minutes to boarding for my flight home.

Cylone Kai-Tak is moving in the region but, I'm glad it is far away still ..

... !

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Wow I came like 20 minutes early to the post office to a mostly empty lot, so now I'm just waiting for it to open lol. I thought there would be more people waiting on the last day to ship express.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I've switched over. I was waiting until a second case I wanted arrived, but how text messages on the Hu watch 2 were being handled annoyed me too much.

I will say that as visually appealing this 18:9 aspect ratio is, this is the most cramped I've felt typing on a keyboard in a while...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Wow I came like 20 minutes early to the post office to a mostly empty lot, so now I'm just waiting for it to open lol. I thought there would be more people waiting on the last day to ship express.

I got a hot chocolate and just drank it while waiting for it to open. The post office was the least of my worries, Target was way more busy but I'm so glad that the trade-in drop off is done. It will get there on Tuesday \o/

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I've switched over. I was waiting until a second case I wanted arrived, but how text messages on the Hu watch 2 were being handled annoyed me too much.

I will say that as visually appealing this 18:9 aspect ratio is, this is the most cramped I've felt typing on a keyboard in a while...

Hmm, I find that statement very interesting. It's also not because of the size, right? Does the camera "eye" bother you at all? Any reception changes over your other phones? Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the Essential, along with impressions.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I find that statement very interesting. It's also not because of the size, right? Does the camera "eye" bother you at all? Any reception changes over your other phones? Looking forward to hearing more about your experience with the Essential, along with impressions.
I switched this morning, so I'll update you over the week. I really don't like how the screen looks without the blue light filter, but I'll deal with it.

The phone just feels a little cramped, that's all. I'll adjust as the iPhone 6S is cramped too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The time when I hate having more than 2 phones is when I have to update the same thing over all of the phones. Ugh.

In this case, the apps don't sync across all of my phones. It's annoying even though this is a problem I chose to have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99