WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Just got notification that my Eve V is shipping - finally. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week as a New Year present.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I got the new case for Andy's phone. As expected, it makes using the current usb-c headphones I have easier. They need to make a better skin case like this, sans the mods cutout.

For my use, the old case and current screen protector is a match made in lint heaven. Need to clean this up soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

What's the best way to end a cold week? Light snow, of course...

...not complaining, just another day in Paradise...

Honestly, I'm over this weekend snow thing. It's old to me now. Fortunately, it hasn't been terrible but still annoying.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, I'm over this weekend snow thing. It's old to me now. Fortunately, it hasn't been terrible but still annoying.
I did laundry in it and I'm running errands in it still...you just shrug your shoulders and power through. We could be in Laura's neck of the woods shoveling snow, so no complaining here.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I got the new case for Andy's phone. As expected, it makes using the current usb-c headphones I have easier. They need to make a better skin case like this, sans the mods cutout.

For my use, the old case and current screen protector is a match made in lint heaven. Need to clean this up soon.
I really like the Incipio case for the Essential phone.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Initial impressions with Andy's phone:

Most of he reviewers are accurate. Andrew M from Android central shat all over the phone in both reviews and while he makes a FEW solid points, this is one of the better new phone debuts in a while.

Andy needs better camera software and to better optimize some of the phone's software and the sophomore version should be really good.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Most of he reviewers are accurate. Andrew M from Android central shat all over the phone in both reviews and while he makes a FEW solid points, this is one of the better new phone debuts in a while.

Andy needs better camera software and to better optimize some of the phone's software and the sophomore version should be really good.
Outside of the camera, everything else is fine. Waterproofing and headphone jack would have been great. I am a bit ambivalent about wireless charging.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

What, if any, new features does the Essential bring? The reason I ask is that there is no real reason that phones should have any issues on release. I can understand hardware novelties like multi-camera setups or in my case a physical keyboard. You would think there's a cut sheet for a basic slab that uses onscreen nav buttons and off-the-shelf Sony sensors on the camera. It seems to me that manufacturing has taken a back seat to sales. QC is apparently a foreign concept as is random inspection.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

More random shots from Andy's phone. I removed the Google camera app. The MTA is testing some half *** idea of removing the seats in subway cars to create more room, hence the odd su way look. This is done on the 42nd St Shuttle train.
1fffd829ad12304a1dda359f1d870af0.jpg
a3560d22d9647326d009e88f3c90160e.jpg
350e8cd90474ee97b5a231de5b658732.jpg
704072fc46ccec00760bd6eef36b39b2.jpg
4310165959328fb390821f85bd7a0b5e.jpg
13df8e7ccbd484e3dd1517f04474d4a7.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Outside of the camera, everything else is fine. Waterproofing and headphone jack would have been great. I am a bit ambivalent about wireless charging.
Because I manage my battery usage well and rarely top up in the day, I always like Qi for overnight charging. Otherwise, Andy's team did a nice job - outside of the camera.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Because I manage my battery usage well and rarely top up in the day, I always like Qi for overnight charging. Otherwise, Andy's team did a nice job - outside of the camera.
Can I make the camera work, yes. But it takes effort. The Pixel series has spoiled me. I have to work hard to get good pictures on the Essential phone, and even the V30 (not as hard but still not as easy as the Pixel). My iPhone tooting spouse even wants pictures on the Pixel these days...that alone tells me enough about how good the Pixel camera is.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What, if any, new features does the Essential bring? The reason I ask is that there is no real reason that phones should have any issues on release. I can understand hardware novelties like multi-camera setups or in my case a physical keyboard. You would think there's a cut sheet for a basic slab that uses onscreen nav buttons and off-the-shelf Sony sensors on the camera. It seems to me that manufacturing has taken a back seat to sales. QC is apparently a foreign concept as is random inspection.
The problem is that the whole industry, including Apple, is still chasing after Apple (iPhone 3G-4s) super profits.

If you're shooting for that uber-competitve mass market device, then yes, certain things should be nailed down before launch. I'll compare Andy's team to OnePlus. The difference here is OnePlus has always had backing from Oppo, for whom Carl Pei's bunch are a sub brand. Having experience with how mobile works is different than running a company and setting up all the logistics smoothly. It took Carl Pei's group 4 years to get sensible and have a good consumer base. OPO had a ton of QC issues - ask 99 about that.

I thought the tech community's expectations where too high because it's Andy. There's room for Andy's team in the market, but they have to figure out their audience. I'd target the people who like compact phones and ensure you keep fitting a big screen and a good camera in a small body. As much as I like stock Android, they need to either go fully bare bones and make it fly, or go the Moto/Pixel route with the ability to add on a few custom features that are useful.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I actually top up sometime during the day for the most part and let the phone be off the charger for about 24 hours between charges. Overnight charging is a thing of the past for me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I actually top up sometime during the day for the most part and let the phone be off the charger for about 24 hours between charges. Overnight charging is a thing of the past for me.
With how my day breaks, I've got no time to charge during the day. That's the challenge OEMs face - needing to cater to a large swaths of consumers.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

With how my day breaks, I've got no time to charge during the day. That's the challenge OEMs face - needing to cater to a large swaths of consumers.
Yeah I can see that. I will top up a little bit on my commute or maybe an hour in between meetings at work. I sometimes think it might be a good idea to charge using a battery pack and charge the pack overnight. Usually I do that when I travel.

Speaking of travel, January is going to be nuts.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Can I make the camera work, yes. But it takes effort. The Pixel series has spoiled me. I have to work hard to get good pictures on the Essential phone, and even the V30 (not as hard but still not as easy as the Pixel). My iPhone tooting spouse even wants pictures on the Pixel these days...that alone tells me enough about how good the Pixel camera is.
It always depends on priorities...if all you do is shoot on auto, and you take a ton of pictures, these no reason to buy anything outside of a Pixel. If you want to tweak your stuff, then the others (V30, Mate, even Samsung) become more viable.

For me, it's just a bit limiting what the Pixel cameras can do, even though what they can do is excellent.

But hey, everyone is different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb