WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think for me as a commuter, it is really hard to find great audio and great camera in the same phone these days. Even though my commute is shorter, the ability to listen to music while commuting has been such a key part of my experience here in the US. The best audio device I had was the Sansa Fuze. It was a compact little mp3 player with great battery life.

I guess it's what always made the 3.5mm jack removal such a sticking point for me. As much as I love how much of a pocket rocket Andy's phone is, that jack removal is such an annoyance that's hard to explain to others. It's why I really, really enjoyed from an audio perspective devices like the Z3 and V20. Yes, Bluetooth 5 sounds really good on Andy's phone + the Jam Ultra, but that's another bit of gear I have to charge. Audio via USB-C is still in its infancy and it sucks how slim the choices are currently.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's true for you. I'm curious about Rue's experience with this as well.

You're so right that it can change for people and the idea of that happening is kind of scary to me. My new married friends (that were part of that conversation I posted about today) said that they were on the fence about it themselves when they got together. After the wife helped out at some camp and told the husband about it, they were like no way to kids! lol. Even them, they have been together for like 6 years and married for 2, and they are basically my age (27). That was interesting to hear them say that.

I can only hope that whoever is in the long haul with me doesn't change his mind. My mom will feel some kind of way about me not wanting them but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
I'm not sure what I can add to the conversation... LOL!

I don't hate kids. I just didn't want any. Same goes for my wife. We have enough issues with a cat, couldn't imagine having a kid! There are a lot of aspects to child rearing that just don't interest me and that's not even the baby part of things!

Everyone's reason for not having kids is different and for some it could be personal and others for medical conditions.

The key thing is not regretting your decision. My wife and I always said that if we changed our mind we would adopt an older child to give them a better life. So far we don't feel any different.

My mum probably is disappointed (she hasn't said) but she has four grandchildren and one great grandchild so far. My siblings have done well I suppose...

At the end of the day you have to be happy with your decisions. A lot of people feel obligated to have kids. It's one of the hurdles to get over. Family pressure is the other. Societal norms is a third. Socializing is a fourth.

There are a lot of aspects to consider when not having kids.

It shouldn't be like that but that's society for you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure what I can add to the conversation... LOL!

I don't hate kids. I just didn't want any. Same goes for my wife. We have enough issues with a cat, couldn't imagine having a kid! There are a lot of aspects to child rearing that just don't interest me and that's not even the baby part of things!

Everyone's reason for not having kids is different and for some it could be personal and others for medical conditions.

The key thing is not regretting your decision. My wife and I always said that if we changed our mind we would adopt an older child to give them a better life. So far we don't feel any different.

My mum probably is disappointed (she hasn't said) but she has four grandchildren and one great grandchild so far. My siblings have done well I suppose...

At the end of the day you have to be happy with your decisions. A lot of people feel obligated to have kids. It's one of the hurdles to get over. Family pressure is the other. Societal norms is a third. Socializing is a fourth.

It shouldn't be like that but that's society for you.

Thanks for chiming in! I wish to have what you two have in knowing and sticking with not wanting any. You're right about the point of regret. I don't believe that I will, regardless of how my mom feels about that.

It sounds like your mum has a lot of them already. Grandchildren and wow even a great grandchild! You're so right about the reasons, and I believe the socialization one for sure.

In the case of your wife, she is the final one but I'm curious if you ever had someone you liked and was with for a bit who might have wanted them, even though you didn't?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

One aspect is that couples should not feel like they have to justify their decision to not have children. My wife and I decided from the beginning we wanted children but we were going to wait a few years to enjoy ourselves as a couple first. Being that it was my 2nd go around at this whole marriage thing i was 33 before we had our daughter. In Hispanic circles, particularly Cuban, that's older than dirt to start having kids.

As it turned out, our daughter was born with autism and that quickly put the brakes on any notion of having more kids. Not because we were afraid of having another one with special needs (the likelihood is very high), but because we knew she would need more time and attention than "normal" kids and that wouldn't be fair to another child. In retrospect, it would've been sensible to have another child because nothing keeps me up at night more than knowing that when (not if) something happens to us, there's no one to take care of her. My only sibling passed many years ago and his spawn are as worthless as t*ts on a bull and my wife's an only child.

As you can see, there are indeed many factors to consider when deciding on whether to start a family or not. I just wish people would stick their opinions where the sun don't shine.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think for me as a commuter, it is really hard to find great audio and great camera in the same phone these days. Even though my commute is shorter, the ability to listen to music while commuting has been such a key part of my experience here in the US. The best audio device I had was the Sansa Fuze. It was a compact little mp3 player with great battery life.

I guess it's what always made the 3.5mm jack removal such a sticking point for me. As much as I love how much of a pocket rocket Andy's phone is, that jack removal is such an annoyance that's hard to explain to others. It's why I really, really enjoyed from an audio perspective devices like the Z3 and V20. Yes, Bluetooth 5 sounds really good on Andy's phone + the Jam Ultra, but that's another bit of gear I have to charge. Audio via USB-C is still in its infancy and it sucks how slim the choices are currently.

Hearing you say this makes a lot of sense to me actually. Ir's a disappointment that the two together makes for a somewhat rare experience, even though it shouldn't be. Yep, I can agree about the annoyance about having another thing to charge. I do hope the USB-C audio situation gets better.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

One aspect is that couples should not feel like they have to justify their decision to not have children. My wife and I decided from the beginning we wanted children but we were going to wait a few years to enjoy ourselves as a couple first. Being that it was my 2nd go around at this whole marriage thing i was 33 before we had our daughter. In Hispanic circles, particularly Cuban, that's older than dirt to start having kids.

As it turned out, our daughter was born with autism and that quickly put the brakes on any notion of having more kids. Not because we were afraid of having another one with special needs (the likelihood is very high), but because we knew she would need more time and attention than "normal" kids and that wouldn't be fair to another child. In retrospect, it would've been sensible to have another child because nothing keeps me up at night more than knowing that when (not if) something happens to us, there's no one to take care of her. My only sibling passed many years ago and his spawn are as worthless as t*ts on a bull and my wife's an only child.

As you can see, there are indeed many factors to consider when deciding on whether to start a family or not. I just wish people would stick their opinions where the sun don't shine.

So true. I think it's really annoying. I think it's great that you and your wife was able to make the big decisions you have when it comes to this and also to be able to stand your ground too.

Your last sentence...yes! Speak it!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

So true. I think it's really annoying. I think it's great that you and your wife was able to make the big decisions you have when it comes to this and also to be able to stand your ground too.

Your last sentence...yes! Speak it!
Can I get a witness up in here!!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

This possibility is taking up too much room in my mind, and it doesn't even make sense why. I blame other people. I hate this.

(Not related to my last post)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

This possibility is taking up too much room in my mind, and it doesn't even make sense why. I blame other people. I hate this.

(Not related to my last post)
Sweetie, anything that takes up room in your head needs to be charged rent or GTFO.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Another long week at work. And with the impending snow storm tomorrow, it just adds more mileage to the workflow.

I need a vacation. Lol.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well the year has got off to a pretty rough start.
Been in three meetings this morning and here is what I know so far.
Have to go to the Bay Area on the 10th for meetings on 11 and 12 Jan. Got told to go to Puerto Rico next week as well. I think I will have to decline that.
Have to go to Boston the week of Jan 15th. Most likely will put another engineer on the plane or skip the trip.
Have to go to Costa Rica the week of Jan 22 - cannot get out of this one.

Have to go to Boston in Feb sometime for an engineering council meeting.
But looks like I have to be in India sometime in Feb as well - for work and then might take a week off to go see the family.

Man this year, the travel scene is going to be ugly!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well the year has got off to a pretty rough start.
Been in three meetings this morning and here is what I know so far.
Have to go to the Bay Area on the 10th for meetings on 11 and 12 Jan. Got told to go to Puerto Rico next week as well. I think I will have to decline that.
Have to go to Boston the week of Jan 15th. Most likely will put another engineer on the plane or skip the trip.
Have to go to Costa Rica the week of Jan 22 - cannot get out of this one.

Have to go to Boston in Feb sometime for an engineering council meeting.
But looks like I have to be in India sometime in Feb as well - for work and then might take a week off to go see the family.

Man this year, the travel scene is going to be ugly!

Reading the amount of travel you have makes me feel dizzy for you, so I can only imagine how that feels for you.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Reading the amount of travel you have makes me feel dizzy for you, so I can only imagine how that feels for you.

Okay, so I weaseled out of Costa Rica. Maybe later in the year.
I might just go to Fremont and Boston in January.

Feb travel is likely to be crazy anyways.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Sweetie, anything that takes up room in your head needs to be charged rent or GTFO.

I felt the way I did with the quote you quoted because of friends and other people saying that I should give it a go with a certain person and that had me debating if I should or not since they kept asking why not. Also I found myself missing said person.

After talking to one friend with a neutral viewpoint, they made me realize that I should learn to tune out these people and just stick with my gut feeling. My gut feeling doesn't believe that the tradeoff is worth it for a possibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs