WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

A friend and his GF who has already been through grad school a while ago both told me that it's great to have a partner while in grad school. They actually also agreed at that so instantly, which has me wondering if this is actually true.

Just to note: They didn't know of each other at that time in their lives.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The quality of this $1 case from China for the Pixel 2 is shockingly good. The Encased brand cases I got today for the two Pixel devices are no bueno. I am going to return them.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

The quality of this $1 case from China for the Pixel 2 is shockingly good. The Encased brand cases I got today for the two Pixel devices are no bueno. I am going to return them.

I got this chinese shiny thingy..
Not quite $1 but $10...
xTYxBJX.jpg

... !

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

A friend and his GF who has already been through grad school a while ago both told me that it's great to have a partner while in grad school. They actually also agreed at that so instantly, which has me wondering if this is actually true.

I call BS...

There's a lot of work in grad school.

That's just my opinion though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Um...yes and no.

I dated someone while she was in grad school and we broke up a few weeks after she graduated. Also, I've dated the current GF through my own grad school journey.

Like anything else, there are pros and cons. In the first scenario, we used to have long conversations about her studies - her master's was in divinity, so I was getting some free vicarious education on how the church works. Very, very enlightening. Our relationship was a big reason she never gave me much credit for that allowed her to get her degree and chart her professional course - she too is now a librarian having gotten a second master's after we broke up. With current GF, I didn't involve her as much in my school studies - she read a few papers and we talked about a few things, yet she saw the grind first hand.

I suspect that the sentiment your friends are tapping into is that having a partner present offers a great deal of emotional support. Grad school is a very specialized and socially restrictive (sometimes isolating) experience.

You can only get so much mileage out of doing it on your own without many supportive interactions and appropriate coping mechanisms. Some people use sex as an outlet, some people do other things to seek and receive that emotional support. I remember long conversations with a single mom colleague of mine after class was helpful to use both as we encouraged each other. I saw her hover a few times over the cracking point due to the stress and because we had developed that routine, she allowed me to her in her face with positive encouragement to pull it together.

One of the points off grad school is how do you practice self care, which includes maintaining and developing healthy relationships while under such strenuous circumstances. It is up to you to look at how you current construct those relationships and to make positive modifications as needed.

Grad school isn't for everyone, and what I dislike the most is in 'murica how people are pushed to grad school to even have a shot to stay afloat in the middle class and not completely drown in the working class. When people crash and burn, it's devastating. But when you get through it successfully, as I figure you will, it gives you a needed toughness to operate in those higher level situations that demand you be paid appropriately for your skill set.

Hope you find something useful in this soliloquy.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Made in China is so hit and miss...when you hit, it's great; when you miss, it sucks as much has having a loose cannon of a businessman being president of a powerful country...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Um...yes and no.

I dated someone while she was in grad school and we broke up a few weeks after she graduated. Also, I've dated the current GF through my own grad school journey.

Like anything else, there are pros and cons. In the first scenario, we used to have long conversations about her studies - her master's was in divinity, so I was getting some free vicarious education on how the church works. Very, very enlightening. Our relationship was a big reason she never gave me much credit for that allowed her to get her degree and chart her professional course - she too is now a librarian having gotten a second master's after we broke up. With current GF, I didn't involve her as much in my school studies - she read a few papers and we talked about a few things, yet she saw the grind first hand.

I suspect that the sentiment your friends are tapping into is that having a partner present offers a great deal of emotional support. Grad school is a very specialized and socially restrictive (sometimes isolating) experience.

You can only get so much mileage out of doing it on your own without many supportive interactions and appropriate coping mechanisms. Some people use sex as an outlet, some people do other things to seek and receive that emotional support. I remember long conversations with a single mom colleague of mine after class was helpful to use both as we encouraged each other. I saw her hover a few times over the cracking point due to the stress and because we had developed that routine, she allowed me to her in her face with positive encouragement to pull it together.

One of the points off grad school is how do you practice self care, which includes maintaining and developing healthy relationships while under such strenuous circumstances. It is up to you to look at how you current construct those relationships and to make positive modifications as needed.

Grad school isn't for everyone, and what I dislike the most is in 'murica how people are pushed to grad school to even have a shot to stay afloat in the middle class and not completely drown in the working class. When people crash and burn, it's devastating. But when you get through it successfully, as I figure you will, it gives you a needed toughness to operate in those higher level situations that demand you be paid appropriately for your skill set.

Hope you find something useful in this soliloquy.

Hmm that's interesting. I actually never considered the points that you shared with me. Wow.

Your personal experience with this kind of thing is also very interesting as well. Sounds like I need to find my self care thing sooner than later. Thank you, it was all useful to me.

I can picture this easily. Another friend of mine is getting married this year and she met her fiance while in her final year of law school. He was in grad school too as well and they just graduated in May so I can easily picture what you mean here.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I call BS...

There's a lot of work in grad school.

That's just my opinion though.
Yeah I figured I had to share because a couple of you all have been through what I'm about to go through. Of course not the same program but the level and experience of grad school.
I wasn't really sure since like you guys, they have been through it to know.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hmm that's interesting. I actually never considered the points that you shared with me. Wow.

Your personal experience with this kind of thing is also very interesting as well. Sounds like I need to find my self care thing sooner than later. Thank you, it was all useful to me.

I can picture this easily. Another friend of mine is getting married this year and she met her fiance while in her final year of law school. He was in grad school too as well and they just graduated in May so I can easily picture what you mean here.
Makes you think, eh?

For people who work between undergraduate and graduate studies also typically have a different view point on graduate studies vs students who work after school.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I guess that's an improvement...it still wouldn't make my week less busy.

That's life in the hospital setting...as long as the doors are open, the workflow doesn't change much.

Exact same experience. Short week but busiest in a while. ICU was crazy and I was on call. Glad it’s over so I can refresh.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Makes you think, eh?

For people who work between undergraduate and graduate studies also typically have a different view point on graduate studies vs students who work after school.

It really does!

I believe that. I don't regret the 3(!) year wait at all but I get that there's good and bad things on both sides.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So temperatures are slowly rising on the east coast...yet my lack of excitement about that is the same as the temperatures we're last week...

Paradise is something indeed...

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Just noticed that the guy standing in line for the iPhone X in the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 commercial has the iPhone notch cut into his hair.
This might have been pointed out before. Sorry if it's a repeat.
96cfb63038158ea73782dab602b435e4.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just noticed that the guy standing in line for the iPhone X in the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 commercial has the iPhone notch cut into his hair.
This might have been pointed out before. Sorry if it's a repeat.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/96cfb63038158ea73782dab602b435e4.jpg
And yet I'll guarantee that within the next two years Samsung/Huawei will have a phone with a similar style notch in it.

Google shat all over the iPhone 7 with the OG Pixel - "oh, well we have a headphone jack" - only to kill that feature off a year later...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss