WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'll be honest and say that I had a moment in class the other night that had me wondering if I belonged there.

Then I had to remind myself that I wasn't admitted to the program by mistake, I was meant to be there too. Funnily enough, my coworker actually felt the same in her class too because like me, she was the only one. I'm not the only black person in class but I am the only one in my program in class. I feel like I'll have to keep reminding myself of this.

99 and MIA, have either of you ever felt that way in grad school or know anyone that has? Anyone else is also welcome to chime in too.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'll be honest and say that I had a moment in class the other night that had me wondering if I belonged there.

Then I had to remind myself that I wasn't admitted to the program by mistake, I was meant to be there too. Funnily enough, my coworker actually felt the same in her class too because like me, she was the only one. I'm not the only black person in class but I am the only one in my program in class. I feel like I'll have to keep reminding myself of this.

99 and MIA, have either of you ever felt that way in grad school or know anyone that has? Anyone else is also welcome to chime in too.
Of course.

I had that the first class I took in the summer of 2012, as it was a semester condensed into 7 weeks. I was still working full time and it was my first serious class in 4 years, and first paper driven class in 8. Then I opened my mouth and the professor and classmates responded positively. I ended up with an A and it confirmed my decision.

The most recent version of this was at work on Thursday during a simulation training. I was distracted as the two high needs clients I'm working with were blowing up my phone during the training and I was putting out fires during the breaks. When I stepped into the role play, I was hesitant, wordy and wasn't getting positive feedback from the group. I felt rusty and inexperienced as most everyone was using great technique.

Then I visited a client on the in-patient floor which had emailed me the end of the workday before that she had readmitted due to a life-threatening complication. I went to see her and she was stunned to see me walk in. She stated how happy she was to see me (never expected to see me) and was willing to let me provide after care for her post discharge.

I share both to state that if you're vested in what you do, you'll have human moments were you question yourself. But if you're vested in what you do, you'll get affirmation you're either on the right track - or it's OK to change paths. The trick though is to remain open to listening so you can see the signs when they're presented to you.

Take what you wish from that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Of course.

I had that the first class I took in the summer of 2012, as it was a semester condensed into 7 weeks. I was still working full time and it was my first serious class in 4 years, and first paper driven class in 8. Then I opened my mouth and the professor and classmates responded positively. I ended up with an A and it confirmed my decision.

The most recent version of this was at work on Thursday during a simulation training. I was distracted as the two high needs clients I'm working with were blowing up my phone during the training and I was putting out fires during the breaks. When I stepped into the role play, I was hesitant, wordy and wasn't getting positive feedback from the group. I felt rusty and inexperienced as most everyone was using great technique.

Then I visited a client on the in-patient floor which had emailed me the end of the workday before that she had readmitted due to a life-threatening complication. I went to see her and she was stunned to see me walk in. She stated how happy she was to see me (never expected to see me) and was willing to let me provide after care for her post discharge.

I share both to state that if you're vested in what you do, you'll have human moments were you question yourself. But if you're vested in what you do, you'll get affirmation you're either on the right track - or it's OK to change paths. The trick though is to remain open to listening so you can see the signs when they're presented to you.

Take what you wish from that.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I'll have to keep it in mind. This helps a lot actually.

I mean I knew that I would be a minority but I guess it was shocking to experience it. Hearing how some of my classmates interpreted the data set blew my mind.

I'm going to make a mental note to myself about your experiences when I find myself questioning if I belong.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I'll have to keep it in mind. This helps a lot actually.

I mean I knew that I would be a minority but I guess it was shocking to experience it. Hearing how some of my classmates interpreted the data set blew my mind.

I'm going to make a mental note to myself about your experiences when I find myself questioning if I belong.
No one starts out fully skilled in their profession or their pursuits. We all are always on a continuum at different points. There are many truly successful people who are less talented in comparison to their peers but make up for it with that millstone work ethic, willingness to remain coachable and humble. It's OK to fail, it's OK to change plans and careers.

I went to grad school because I figured I had what it took to be decent at my profession but understood I needed training to be more consistent. As long as you stay in tune to what's important, you'll get what you need from grad school, no matter the outcome. It is designed to be intense, isolating and challenging because you're asking for higher responsibilities at the next level of your career. Grad school starts the process of separating the "wheat from the chaff" but isn't the end of that process.

I supect you'll be just fine.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Random subway art with the new update from Andy's phone...
ce927e61ef04fb3b1c2157fe4bdcd908.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm dreaming of a silver Nokia 8, a white Andy's phone, a blue V30, a Black Mi Note 2 and a 950XL in the collection. That's too many phones, but the dreaming process is fun, as I'm only two phones short.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I am taking the Idol 4s out today on the spare line mostly to listen to music in the car - it has a headphone jack so that is handy.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I really misses Windows Mobile. It is so nice to be playing with it after a year. Only if the camera was any good on this Idol 4s, sigh...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I really misses Windows Mobile. It is so nice to be playing with it after a year. Only if the camera was any good on this Idol 4s, sigh...
There was a lot to like indeed. I had that same reaction just now when I went looking for the Mate 10 Pro but stopped to mess with the Invoke speaker in Best Buy.

Unfortunately, lots of good tech die on the vine.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Went to a South Indian vegetarian buffet place. Oh boy, I am stuffed. It was lip smackingly delicious today.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I like my Alexa speaker, but Amazon really needs to make this thing more rounded and a little less task/command driven.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Mr Clue, why did you pick such a hard thing to take a picture of to do a comparison on?

I'd say I liked the X3, because I prefer slightly colder looking photos.
How did you figure which was which?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

How did you figure which was which?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
I do most of my posting here in the apps (Tapatalk on the tab and WC forums on the phones), so I saw the tags for the X3.

But putting that giveaway aside for a second, Samsung cameras don't take cold pictures anyways. It's why I always liked Nokia - they're more on the cooler side, giving you room to edit and keeping the scene more realistic for my tastes.

Plus, you picked magenta - a color nearly all phones struggle with. Samsung tends to make those too warm as well.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My first semester was very rough in grad school. It was a very humbling experience. There were a lot of factors at play though. I came in Spring instead of Fall semester. The three classes I took (thanks to a useless advisor), all had the preceding class in the Fall so I was constantly playing catch up. On top of it I missed almost two weeks of school thanks to the shutdown (******* contest between Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich).

I pretty much failed all the exams - the first ones. I did question what was I doing here or what I was doing wrong as I was a pretty decent student. After the spring break I was able to get the studies calibrated and ended up with As in the classes but it was a very rough first semester. I pretty much cruised through the rest of grad school because I finished the hardest classes in my first semester.

Hopefully you will do much better since you are used to the college system in USA and have some practical work experience as well. Both of which I didn't have much exposure to.

Good luck with your program.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My first semester was very rough in grad school. It was a very humbling experience. There were a lot of factors at play though. I came in Spring instead of Fall semester. The three classes I took (thanks to a useless advisor), all had the preceding class in the Fall so I was constantly playing catch up. On top of it I missed almost two weeks of school thanks to the shutdown (******* contest between Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich).

I pretty much failed all the exams - the first ones. I did question what was I doing here or what I was doing wrong as I was a pretty decent student. After the spring break I was able to get the studies calibrated and ended up with As in the classes but it was a very rough first semester. I pretty much cruised through the rest of grad school because I finished the hardest classes in my first semester.

Hopefully you will do much better since you are used to the college system in USA and have some practical work experience as well. Both of which I didn't have much exposure to.

Good luck with your program.

OMG you went through a lot. I can only imagine how that felt for you at that time.

Hmm, you are right about that. I have heard that a lot about the work experience and I hope it comes to pass for me. Thank you for the luck, and also thank you for sharing. I just had to ask because I guess I never considered the possibility of feeling this way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999