WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

No one starts out fully skilled in their profession or their pursuits. We all are always on a continuum at different points. There are many truly successful people who are less talented in comparison to their peers but make up for it with that millstone work ethic, willingness to remain coachable and humble. It's OK to fail, it's OK to change plans and careers.

I went to grad school because I figured I had what it took to be decent at my profession but understood I needed training to be more consistent. As long as you stay in tune to what's important, you'll get what you need from grad school, no matter the outcome. It is designed to be intense, isolating and challenging because you're asking for higher responsibilities at the next level of your career. Grad school starts the process of separating the "wheat from the chaff" but isn't the end of that process.

I supect you'll be just fine.

I keep saying thank you, but I do mean it each time. It's hard to express how thankful I am for the wise words you and 99 share with me about your experiences in the process and after it.

My boss also told me that I should be open to other things possibly coming up (so maybe dabble in other classes too) when I was telling her how my first class went. She told me her own story which was very interesting, so it's funny that you mention that it is OK to change plans.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I am taking the Idol 4s out today on the spare line mostly to listen to music in the car - it has a headphone jack so that is handy.

How did this go? Actually until you mentioned it, I forgot that your other phones don't have headphone jacks.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I keep saying thank you, but I do mean it each time. It's hard to express how thankful I am for the wise words you and 99 share with me about your experiences in the process and after it.

My boss also told me that I should be open to other things possibly coming up (so maybe dabble in other classes too) when I was telling her how my first class went. She told me her own story which was very interesting, so it's funny that you mention that it is OK to change plans.
The so called 'other' classes is what got me my first job and opened up a career avenue for me. So I highly recommend it. The only slight downside I see these days is that it will cost you. When I was is grad school, once I paid for 12 credits, I could tack on other classes for free and that's what I did. I added a bunch of engineering statistics classes from the Industrial Engineering department for free. I was recently looking at my grad school fee and program of study structure and saw that was going to be difficult and expensive which saddened me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

How did this go? Actually until you mentioned it, I forgot that your other phones don't have headphone jacks.
Went well as far as listening to music is concerned. So the app (Saavn) that I use for music in the car is now a paid version on iOS and Android but on WM the free one works just fine and no ads which was great.

Took one picture and the same with the Pixel. No contest there. Deleted the picture taken by the Idol promptly.

Battery life is great though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It seems like the Idol 4s is really good because that is the only complaint I have heard about it.
Camera is ugly. I mean could they not have put a Lumia 640 camera in there? Even that would be a serious upgrade over the clunker they have in there.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Some flower pictures from yesterday. We went to get some ice cream in Playa Vista.
1c9e0192d6a6c2bc2edef8ad2e9eeaec.jpg
7641b81a556e87edb17fa80ccbecb177.jpg
e0ef1f6f70dbd44fd257a115a860113b.jpg
2b9bd5e2687cb529589ca80172878ba9.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Camera is ugly. I mean could they not have put a Lumia 640 camera in there? Even that would be a serious upgrade over the clunker they have in there.

They could've put a Nokia 808 camera in there and still suck. The problem is that it uses generic Qualcomm drivers. Alcatel got lazy, plain and simple.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes I'm glad I don't always follow conventional wisdom or seek to tote the party lines. I think that I would have really flipped out growing up in this social media age...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm still looking for new material to ramble about...so if anyone has any non-Trump related ideas, feel free to let me know...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Laura, do we have a thread talking about beards here in the Off Topic lounge?

I was going to cut mine lower today but went with more of a maintenance look, much to the GF's chagrin. I wish I had that movie star look to mine but I have to cut mine low to get that. So it is either full and scraggly or neat and thin. SMH.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The so called 'other' classes is what got me my first job and opened up a career avenue for me. So I highly recommend it. The only slight downside I see these days is that it will cost you. When I was is grad school, once I paid for 12 credits, I could tack on other classes for free and that's what I did. I added a bunch of engineering statistics classes from the Industrial Engineering department for free. I was recently looking at my grad school fee and program of study structure and saw that was going to be difficult and expensive which saddened me.

Wow, that's really interesting. Whoa 12 credits sounds like suicide to everything in life and in general (in my mind anyway). That's cool that it was able to do that for you in the end. My boss has a similar story, she wanted to be an instructional librarian (but her advisor said that it would be good for her to learn cataloging to stay here (she wasn't born in the US) so she did (even though she has the instructional foundation too) and that was how she ended up here eventually.

You have a great point but I'm torn. I have no desire to do instruction/teaching but thanks to her, I might just take a class related to it at the most. A solid quarter of my track is data management which already seems out of the zone, even though my boss reminded me of the connection that it can have.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Went well as far as listening to music is concerned. So the app (Saavn) that I use for music in the car is now a paid version on iOS and Android but on WM the free one works just fine and no ads which was great.

Took one picture and the same with the Pixel. No contest there. Deleted the picture taken by the Idol promptly.

Battery life is great though.

Very cool about the app! I have heard of it but haven't tried it. I figured as much about the picture but that's great about the battery life.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Hey Laura, do we have a thread talking about beards here in the Off Topic lounge?

I was going to cut mine lower today but went with more of a maintenance look, much to the GF's chagrin. I wish I had that movie star look to mine but I have to cut mine low to get that. So it is either full and scraggly or neat and thin. SMH.
Hey MIA, we don't have one but please feel free to start one. ☺️

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I bypassed the beard and stache this "winter". I can't wear one in the summer because I hate having to use vaseline to seal my dive mask. If the water temperature dips below 80 it's too cold so snorkeling is out. I know, I'm a wuss for cold water. There's too many sharks in the water to wear a suit and look like a fat seal.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I bypassed the beard and stache this "winter". I can't wear one in the summer because I hate having to use vaseline to seal my dive mask. If the water temperature dips below 80 it's too cold so snorkeling is out. I know, I'm a wuss for cold water. There's too many sharks in the water to wear a suit and look like a fat seal.
I look 17 fully clean shaven. I don't have the time for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786