WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

here is a shot with the wide angle camera. I know it's nothing special but i think it got alot of detail
7555dbe537eda9f106a4dfc1a0858142.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Boy, it's rough the way the newspaper business has become. Lots of the good ones have gone the subscription route to help stay afloat.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

How are you you liking the V30 bow that you've had it for a while?
I enjoy it alot more than I thought I did but there are things that Annoy me like music controls in the notification center and stuff like that but other than that I do like it

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MIA, this made me think of you since it's a long-term review of the Nokia 8:

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8_long_term-review-1718.php

I hope that they will continue to do these, even though there's only 3 currently (this is one of the 3).
Thanks for sharing. I kinda read through this one yesterday. We'll see if they keep this up.

I am interested in trying it, but we'll see.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for sharing. I kinda read through this one yesterday. We'll see if they keep this up.

I am interested in trying it, but we'll see.

Ohh okay. I figured that you might have saw it already but still worth a try. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to pass on it or take a chance and a lot of patience, which works in your favor.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The only things that could make me give up the A3 for the incoming Sony Compact is if it has a better processor and a better or equal camera. Otherwise, I'm good with the A3. It seems to get security updates every other month, and battery life is still great on Nougat. It's been nice not to deal with battery anxiety in the way I would have with my other phones I have owned*.

I do still have to clear cache of apps, which is annoying and occasional "_ has stopped" but I think this is the best I could get for what's important to me in a phone on the Android side on things.

*=The Xperia XZ1 Compact is the only phone I have tried last year (I think anyway) that actually has really good battery life as well, aside from the A3 of course.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ohh okay. I figured that you might have saw it already but still worth a try. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to pass on it or take a chance and a lot of patience, which works in your favor.
I have a price in mind, that's all. I do like Andy's phone and Andy's team have been working hard to fix the niggles with solid software support, but for some reason I feel more comfortable in the long game with what HMD is doing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I have a price in mind, that's all. I do like Andy's phone and Andy's team have been working hard to fix the niggles with solid software support, but for some reason I feel more comfortable in the long game with what HMD is doing.

Ah, that makes sense. Your point about the long game is a great one, considering that it would probably be more of a challenge for HMD to shut down over Andy's team.

I remember the rumors of Nokia making Android phones years back after the Microsoft deal was done, and the fact that all of that basically happened, it's way less likely for them to pull out. Speaking of them, I think I remember seeing a story last week that Nokia made more profit than expected in quarter 4?

Not sure if Essential can say the same right now but I agree that it's good that they are willing to do the work.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ah, that makes sense. Your point about the long game is a great one, considering that it would probably be more of a challenge for HMD to shut down over Andy's team.

I remember the rumors of Nokia making Android phones years back after the Microsoft deal was done, and the fact that all of that basically happened, it's way less likely for them to pull out. Speaking of them, I think I remember seeing a story last week that Nokia made more profit than expected in quarter 4?

Not sure if Essential can say the same right now but I agree that it's good that they are willing to do the work.
Essential was hoping for what happened to OnePlus when they started out. OPO sold I think a million handsets. Comparing the two, OPO was more polished at launch due to CM software being very solid for its time vs the AOSP ROM on Andy's phone.

To me, Andy's phone is the best first gen product since the OPO (Nokia 8 right behind it). The high price tag initially and the lack of software optimizations screwed this phone. This market is more mature than what OnePlus stepped into, so Andy had a smaller margin for error.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Another debate that has me thinking of MIA and Rue about if phones are getting too expensive.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sunday_debate_are_phones_getting_too_expensive-news-29436.php

I wanted to say yes but the guy on the other side has some points, but not enough for me to not say yes.
Phones were always too expensive.

I remember seeing iPhone 3G/4's selling for $1200 via third party sites during Apple's exclusivity period.

The good thing with the march of tech is that offerings have gotten much better in the budget space, where unless you're chasing better components, you can find solid experiences there.

Oustide of that, as much as OEMs have solid us the lie that smartphones are necessary and ubiquitous. The truth is that they aren't. The best proof of this is not all countries have the same level of Internet access.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Phones were always too expensive.

I remember seeing iPhone 3G/4's selling for $1200 via third party sites during Apple's exclusivity period.

The good thing with the march of tech is that offerings have gotten much better in the budget space, where unless you're chasing better components, you can find solid experiences there.

Oustide of that, as much as OEMs have solid us the lie that smartphones are necessary and ubiquitous. The truth is that they aren't. The best proof of this is not all countries have the same level of Internet access.
The best proof is right here amongst Windows users. Too good to pass up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05