WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Besides your ambivolence regarding the camera, what else irks you about the phone? With the rage being 2:1 displays it's only a matter of time before we have no other options not named Sony. I don't see any of the newer crop that would make me ditch my S8+ as an Android representative in my stable. What's Andy's phone like as far as performance and battery life?
Sony is coming with the 2:1 ratio, I'm sure.

- No quick charge support. AT ALL. Not even QC 2.0.
- Battery life is so-so. I consistently finish around 50% daily with minimal usage. I should be higher with how light I use my phone during busy work days where I barely touch it.
- Performance is mixed. I'm used to using AOSP ROMs and they fly when well optimized. The best thing I can tell you is sometimes it feels like the Priv before you turn the animations off.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

https://www.phonearena.com/news/do-we-need-microSD-card-2018_id101961

When I saw the title, I was like: What dafuq? But I decided to read it and not jump to conclusions.

At the end of the article, I was like: "REALLY. WHAT dafuq?" Is this dude aware that not all OEMs use UFS storage? Huawei for the last few P series models have used sometimes eMMC and sometimes UFS depending on sourcing.

I'm curious of what others think here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Local TV news is usually good.
I don't know how they roll in The Land, but down here it's 15 minutes of news and 15 minutes of weather. There's only 2 forms of weather down here: hot and hot with thunderstorms. Give me 15 minutes of sports and the other 15 for news.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't know how they roll in The Land, but down here it's 15 minutes of news and 15 minutes of weather. There's only 2 forms of weather down here: hot and hot with thunderstorms. Give me 15 minutes of sports and the other 15 for news.
Hard to get local news too when you've cut the cable cord...

...you cracked me up with that Magic City weather report, but I do agree...why do you need 15 minutes of weather?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Hard to get local news too when you've cut the cable cord...

...you cracked me up with that Magic City weather report, but I do agree...why do you need 15 minutes of weather?
Here's the weather report from Ch-Iraq: Winds out of the Northwest at 25 knots, hold on to the ropes on Lakeside or its yo azz.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

When I saw the title, I was like: What dafuq? But I decided to read it and not jump to conclusions.

At the end of the article, I was like: "REALLY. WHAT dafuq?" Is this dude aware that not all OEMs use UFS storage? Huawei for the last few P series models have used sometimes eMMC and sometimes UFS depending on sourcing.

I don't feel like I know enough to comment on this. Let's just say I'm learning things from the comments there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I saw that too last night. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Second, like any solid state storage, there will be degradation based on the number of reads/writes over the lifetime of the storage card. Consumer ignorance will kill any product especially if an ignorant tech blogger gets hold of it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I saw that too last night. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Second, like any solid state storage, there will be degradation based on the number of reads/writes over the lifetime of the storage card. Consumer ignorance will kill any product especially if an ignorant tech blogger gets hold of it.
Never had an SD card fail on me in all my years of phone ne usage. The GF has had it happen one time though. I don't use knock off and she had a so-so brand she was using for her SD card.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Same here, never experience a SD going dead in a phone. But had a few perfectly OK SD go faulty when it's taken out of the phone and used elsewhere eg card readers, mini music players, car players.
It does not like rough handling that's for sure.

... !

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Same here, never experience a SD going dead in a phone. But had a few perfectly OK SD go faulty when it's taken out of the phone and used elsewhere eg card readers, mini music players, car players.
It does not like rough handling that's for sure.

... !
Agreed. I usually keep one card in one device and only recycle my larger cards for whenever I change phones.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The baby shower is this weekend. I'm excited and nervous for it. I just bought the most $$$ thing on the registry because that's what family is meant to do (it will represent an entire family gift). I really can't wait to see her reaction about it...

Edit: Ahh the shipping speed was changed on it. I'm saddened about that now :/

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I am tired. And I have to go to Anaheim tomorrow morning for a tradeshow (I missed it last year because of my travel to surprise my dad for his birthday). Then I have to get to the airport for a 9PM flight to Boston. My meeting in Boston starts at 8:30 AM Eastern, ugh. Back around midnight on Friday for a bunch of chores on the weekend.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I am tired. And I have to go to Anaheim tomorrow morning for a tradeshow (I missed it last year because of my travel to surprise my dad for his birthday). Then I have to get to the airport for a 9PM flight to Boston. My meeting in Boston starts at 8:30 AM Eastern, ugh. Back around midnight on Friday for a bunch of chores on the weekend.

Wow, busy busy. I wish you good luck with getting through all of it, and also today too.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Medicine is such a funny thing indeed. One must be respectful working with those who are vulnerable.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Something interesting happened this afternoon, and I plan to take it as a learning experience to try my best to be less of a judge to other people.

I was at the post office waiting in line and this guy in front of me had what seemed like a lot of money. He appeared to be an older guy, who probably wasn't born here. In my mind, I had thoughts about what I came there for, along with ones about why this guy would just have all of this money (not kind thoughts, I'm censoring myself because I feel bad about what I started to assume). I made eye contact with him for a second and then looked away, with a neutral expression.

So he was called up next to the counter and I could guess he was doing a money order. I noticed a phone just there on the counter and my heart sank. It's hard to describe how I felt but it seemed like I was anxious all of a sudden, if it's possible to feel that way and also aware? I instantly put myself into his shoes and started picturing how terrible it would be to forget a phone. I was waiting/hoping for an opportunity to give him his phone, even though I assumed something not so nice about him.

He was almost done and thankfully the other worker called me to come up to the counter. I used the moment to say, "Sir, you forgot your phone" and his response was, "Oh wow", and then I went back to the postal worker. I guess the others there, including the postal workers watched this because I heard someone say "Wow, he almost forgot his phone" and I think someone else said something but I tuned it out. I think he was so focused in getting the money straight that he forgot about his phone altogether.

It might not seem like a big deal to you all, but the way I felt after that made it hard to focus on anything. The poor assumption I made had a hand in how I felt since I went from that to "wow, I can't just leave his phone here" rolling around in my mind.

Edit: This is longer than I thought it would be, whoops. The short version is: I saw a guy who might have not been born here, assumed something bad about this guy, and I had to give him his phone because I was the only one to notice that he forgot it and that had me feel things.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Something interesting happened this afternoon, and I plan to take it as a learning experience to try my best to be less of a judge to other people.

I was at the post office waiting in line and this guy in front of me had what seemed like a lot of money. He appeared to be an older guy, who probably wasn't born here. In my mind, I had thoughts about what I came there for, along with ones about why this guy would just have all of this money (not kind thoughts, I'm censoring myself because I feel bad about what I started to assume). I made eye contact with him for a second and then looked away, with a neutral expression.

So he was called up next to the counter and I could guess he was doing a money order. I noticed a phone just there on the counter and my heart sank. It's hard to describe how I felt but it seemed like I was anxious all of a sudden, if it's possible to feel that way and also aware? I instantly put myself into his shoes and started picturing how terrible it would be to forget a phone. I was waiting/hoping for an opportunity to give him his phone, even though I assumed something not so nice about him.

He was almost done and thankfully the other worker called me to come up to the counter. I used the moment to say, "Sir, you forgot your phone" and his response was, "Oh wow", and then I went back to the postal worker. I guess the others there, including the postal workers watched this because I heard someone say "Wow, he almost forgot his phone" and I think someone else said something but I tuned it out. I think he was so focused in getting the money straight that he forgot about his phone altogether.

It might not seem like a big deal to you all, but the way I felt after that made it hard to focus on anything. The poor assumption I made had a hand in how I felt since I went from that to "wow, I can't just leave his phone here" rolling around in my mind.

Edit: This is longer than I thought it would be, whoops. The short version is: I saw a guy who might have not been born here, assumed something bad about this guy, and I had to give him his phone because I was the only one to notice that he forgot it and that had me feel things.
It happens to the best of us. At least you showed insight into what happened.

Sadly, I deal with this daily from patients and colleagues alike directed at either myself or my immediate colleagues. It doesn't sit well with me, but hey, lots of things don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss