WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm amazed that the subway still runs somewhat decently seeing that it's being held together McGuyver style - with duck tape, bubble gum and chicken wire... SMH...

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I saw a decent deal on Amazon for a used Nokia 8. And they were good to deliver to my temporary address.

But...they're charging me $35 in taxes? Paying taxes on a used phone?

I'll let Mr. Clue guess as to what my response was...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks. I was somehow able to do everything I wanted to do yesterday (this includes a bit of cleanup from the baby shower as well) and end up with hours of time to decompress, which hasn't happened at all since I started school.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I saw a decent deal on Amazon for a used Nokia 8. And they were good to deliver to my temporary address.

Wait, taxes?! That's just dumb. Come on now seller...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Get the f..............

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Ah okay. That's still a weird decision imo.
If I understand Interstate Commerce rules correctly, any merchant who sells an item to a customer within his own state must apply sales tax. That being said, smart vendors know how to price their items accordingly to avoid situations in which customers like MIA and myself go elsewhere. I don't understand how citizens in this country continue to allow "double-dipping" when it comes to sales taxes. A used phone paid its taxes once already when it was initially sold as did every single used car/truck sold in this country. Vehicles are worse because they're paying taxes every year in the form of tag registrations.

It's Monday, don't make me reach for Mr. Daniels' fine refreshment so soon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

If I understand Interstate Commerce rules correctly, any merchant who sells an item to a customer within his own state must apply sales tax. That being said, smart vendors know how to price their items accordingly to avoid situations in which customers like MIA and myself go elsewhere. I don't understand how citizens in this country continue to allow "double-dipping" when it comes to sales taxes. A used phone paid its taxes once already when it was initially sold as did every single used car/truck sold in this country. Vehicles are worse because they're paying taxes every year in the form of tag registrations.

It's Monday, don't make me reach for Mr. Daniels' fine refreshment so soon.

You're right about that.
I get the car thing though, because you are paying for registration. I have heard that there are states that charge property tax on cars as well, aside from tag renewal, which is silly to me. In my state, I pay insurance monthly and my tag renewal is every 2 years so I can get it but I can't relate.

If only there was a loophole for this?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You're right about that.
I get the car thing though, because you are paying for registration. I have heard that there are states that charge property tax on cars as well, aside from tag renewal, which is silly to me. In my state, I pay insurance monthly and my tag renewal is every 2 years so I can get it but I can't relate.

If only there was a loophole for this?
Red states should charge property tax on wives too the way those Neanderthals treat their women.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I haven't had a Facebook for years but now I'm debating if I should. There's an unofficial group for my program that my coworker (who is also in the program with me) is in. She told me that they were talking about a professor who gave crazy assignments and how they were trying to get them out or something like that.

I feel like I would like to know that stuff but at the same time, I don't do well with Facebook. Something about it is unhealthy for me. It just doesn't work for me at all, even after retrying it a few years ago. I want and know and see what's up (when it comes to professors) but not sure if it's worth it for my mental health. I probably could make a new Facebook account but the amount of work that would take could end up with the same result.

By the way, this is the only group of its kind for the program. Everything else is your regular, school official channels, which wouldn't give you information about a professor and/or little things to know.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

So I haven't had a Facebook for years but now I'm debating if I should. There's an unofficial group for my program that my coworker (who is also in the program with me) is in. She told me that they were talking about a professor who gave crazy assignments and how they were trying to get them out or something like that.

I feel like I would like to know that stuff but at the same time, I don't do well with Facebook. Something about it is unhealthy for me. It just doesn't work for me at all, even after retrying it a few years ago. I want and know and see what's up (when it comes to professors) but not sure if it's worth it for my mental health. I probably could make a new Facebook account but the amount of work that would take could end up with the same result.

By the way, this is the only group of its kind for the program. Everything else is your regular, school official channels, which wouldn't give you information about a professor and/or little things to know.
Be careful with what you Book your Face with. The internet has a long memory and the mere inclusion in some group could make you guilty by association in the eyes of professors and future employers alike. I'm too damned old to be affected by whatever rants I may post from time to time. More like every few months but you get the gist.

You're young and just starting out, don't impede your chances later on by "liking" someone else's crazy post.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Be careful with what you Book your Face with. The internet has a long memory and the mere inclusion in some group could make you guilty by association in the eyes of professors and future employers alike. I'm too damned old to be affected by whatever rants I may post from time to time. More like every few months but you get the gist.

You're young and just starting out, don't impede your chances later on by "liking" someone else's crazy post.
Ha, yeah I get you.

That's a great point, thank you for the wisdom. I didn't consider that, but I guess there's a reason why they stressed that it was an unofficial group.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's a lot of Picasso that I like and lots I don't like. I went to a large exhibition in Australia a few years back.

The painting of his I want to see is Guernica. It's in Paris so I hope to get to it soon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss