WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's too early to be reacting to this farce living at 1600 Pennsylvania. MIA makes an excellent point about the current Old White Republicans using Dump to push their agendas without worrying about the optics. He's been a Godsend to them and their supporters can't see the trees for the forest.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Your first point is what we encountered in the UK regularly.

People complaining about immigrants to your face and then you point out the you're an immigrant, because we are, but it's ok, because we're somehow 'different' than those other immigrants.

It's this mentality that made the UK leave the EU. I also know from other people who lived in the UK long before me that lots of people in the UK have had this disconnect for some time.

But then again, don't all societies?
All societies marginalize some of their members. Western European countries and their former colonies like 'Murica are uber-noorious for it.

It's just a continuation of the "same old two-step".

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Not to pick on you:

"I think I missed that or I cannot recall."

Unfortunately, too many people are using this in the face of political tactics used to bully and subdue minorities and the less fortunate. And the standard disconnect where you can vote for a political construct separately from how that same construct plays out in reality is still alive and well.

Examples:

1)

Man: "these blacks are lazy!"
Woman: "what about James, you're best friend?"
Man: "he's different. You see he works hard, is his own man. He doesn't do like those others."

2)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/us/man-deported-jorge-garcia.html

Too much is happening to do this "I missed that" bit.

Valid point, but I have to say that it's hard to find the balance between being informed and pulling back for self-care. As you are probably aware of already, different people are affected in different ways (or even not affected) by what they consume and what they see.

You are correct, but that is also a important consideration in the wake of the 24 hour news cycle of the "Leader" doing stupid, selfish actions and the ones who support him.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You know, some days it'd be nice to have Rue's hue. To have the ability to more comfortably make certain choices of how to enagage with and view the world.

Being at a relative disadvantage, I can understand certain dynamics, especially when those in privilege who lose the amount of power they're used and get paranoid and those who achieve a little power and get paranoid. Both situations pull on the same feelings and use the same reaction.

It's not an knock against Rue, it's just that the world is still shaped in that Western European image. Every day I'm reminded of this by going to work. As renouned and diverse as the institution I work for is, I don't have to dig too hard to find that old structure in place.

"It's not easy being green." - Kermit the Frog.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Valid point, but I have to say that it's hard to find the balance between being informed and pulling back for self-care. As you are probably aware of already, different people are affected in different ways (or even not affected) by what they consume and what they see.

You are correct, but that is also a important consideration in the wake of the 24 hour news cycle of the "Leader" doing stupid, selfish actions and the ones who support him.
It is hard to find the balance, but if you're not from the same ethnic and classbas the current President, you don't get the luxury of living "uninformed"...

...simply because when changes happen, WE feel it first, and sometimes are the only ones impacted by it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It is hard to find the balance, but if you're not from the same ethnic and classbas the current President, you don't get the luxury of living "uninformed"...

...simply because when changes happen, WE feel it first, and sometimes are the only ones impacted by it.

True. I am not part of that group either way, but I am one of those people who are easily affected by it so I feel the need to pop my head in and out. Twitter informs me half of the time.

I would say that there are things that I try to keep up with that do not or will not apply to me directly but maybe someone I know. All I can try to do is to do a better job with keeping up on a daily basis at least, but Twitter does help with that to a point.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

True. I am not part of that group either way, but I am one of those people who are easily affected by it so I feel the need to pop my head in and out. Twitter informs me half of the time.

I would say that there are things that I try to keep up with that do not or will not apply to me directly but maybe someone I know. All I can try to do is to do a better job with keeping up on a daily basis at least, but Twitter does help with that to a point.
I prefer to stay informed the old school way. Social media has too much misinformation for my taste. Even with old school methods the key skill is still the same - critical thinking.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I prefer to stay informed the old school way. Social media has too much misinformation for my taste. Even with old school methods the key skill is still the same - critical thinking.

I can get that. For me, I follow a decent number of people who are the types that quote tweet with their response. In the tweet they are quoting, they usually quote a news source link or it is from the news source's twitter account themselves. Sources are usually the Washington Post, NY Times or NPR or something local for me. It feels the same to me.

Sad to say, it is their comment that makes me decide to click or not.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'll agree on the ethnic part but think about it for a minute. How many blue-eyed, trailer living, food stamp and Medicaid milquetoast from West Virginia are getting the shaft as well? The unbelievable part is that they actually voted for him. But no, it's the lazy Black man like you or the murdering ****** Latino like me who are the root of all this country's problems. I've lived on peanut butter and jelly for long stretches but I've never taken a dime of gubment money or eaten a slice of gubment cheese. Yet I'm lumped in with the rest because my last name ends in a "z".

The same young crowd that showed up in droves to give us Obama are the same ones who stayed home and gave us this POS. The word needs to get out because living uninformed has dire consequences.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'll agree on the ethnic part but think about it for a minute. How many blue-eyed, trailer living, food stamp and Medicaid milquetoast from West Virginia are getting the shaft as well? The unbelievable part is that they actually voted for him. But no, it's the lazy Black man like you or the murdering ****** Latino like me who are the root of all this country's problems. I've lived on peanut butter and jelly for long stretches but I've never taken a dime of gubment money or eaten a slice of gubment cheese. Yet I'm lumped in with the rest because my last name ends in a "z".

The same young crowd that showed up in droves to give us Obama are the same ones who stayed home and gave us this POS. The word needs to get out because living uninformed has dire consequences.
This young one has voted since I was 17 and most of my other young friends also voted as well too.
I have even voted absentee once (for a primary). I get campaign stuff all of the time, I can name my senators and reprensentatives. I might not do the best with following the national news but I am fairly aware of what is going on that would directly affect me immediately. (The national stuff do still have a hand of course, but a lot of people also aren't aware of those who actually represent them, which is something that makes me a little sad.)

Just had to chime in haha.

I used to be super into politics but it drains my energy so easily that I find it hard to be. This past election has changed it for me for the worse.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Just had to chime in haha.
Chime away, we need it. But it's not as important to follow the goings on in DC as much as it is on Main St. Local and state politics affect our daily lives more than Federal. The Gerrymandering rulings in Pennsylvania are more important than Dump paying off some ho.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Chime away, we need it. But it's not as important to follow the goings on in DC as much as it is on Main St. Local and state politics affect our daily lives more than Federal. The Gerrymandering rulings in Pennsylvania are more important than Dump paying off some ho.

Exactly.
It's an election year for my state so I am getting all of the calls, and paper spam. Governor seat is up, along with my county executive and one senator seat so a lot is going on.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm very aware of how many blonde hair, blue eyed folk who will get that shaft...as there are more of those folks on Medicare and Medicaid than people who look like you and me. But, Mr. Trump was smart enough to stir up their emotions to get elected and will reward them with a front stab of cutting services for ALL.

There's much to do, no matter the age, and it's not even funny.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Exactly.
It's an election year for my state so I am getting all of the calls, and paper spam. Governor seat is up, along with my county executive and one senator seat so a lot is going on.

We finally get to rid The Sunshine State of Gov. Skeletor aka Rick Scott. Thank you Bob Graham for introducing term limits.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There's much to do, no matter the age, and it's not even funny.
Indeed. But as I told Libra, be careful of joining groups on social media to get the word out en masse. It can be a double-edged sword. Just ask the poor woman who gave Dump the finger while riding her bike. Anybody can be a snitch to get likes.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Indeed. But as I told Libra, be careful of joining groups on social media to get the word out en masse. It can be a double-edged sword. Just ask the poor woman who gave Dump the finger while riding her bike. Anybody can be a snitch to get likes.
It's the skill of critical thinking, really. If you can think critically, you can wade through all the garbage that exists, no matter where you like to get your news from.

Problem is, critical thinking isn't being cultivated in people anymore...it's being concentrated like in the old days of yore - in the hands of the privileged.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It's the skill of critical thinking, really. If you can think critically, you can wade through all the garbage that exists, no matter where you like to get your news from.

Problem is, critical thinking isn't being cultivated in people anymore...it's being concentrated like in the old days of yore - in the hands of the privileged.

George Carlin warned us 40+ years ago. Few listened.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

All societies marginalize some of their members. Western European countries and their former colonies like 'Murica are uber-noorious for it.

It's just a continuation of the "same old two-step".
The most racially abused people in the UK are Polish or Eastern European. Just goes to show that skin colour isn't always the necessary requirement. The UK is a messed up place in a lot of ways.

The stupid part about skin colour is that it's a matter of a few genes and evolution based on sun conditions and environment. Such a stupid thing to get upset about, especially since we know better now. Well we should know better unfortunately evolution is still poorly taught in schools and science tends to be a thing of evil if makes you think differently...

I keep waiting for the human race to grow up. With what's happening in the world with the rise of populists, far right thinking and national identity we have a very long way to go. Sadly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb