WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The most racially abused people in the UK are Polish or Eastern European. Just goes to show that skin colour isn't always the necessary requirement. The UK is a messed up place in a lot of ways.

The stupid part about skin colour is that it's a matter of a few genes and evolution based on sun conditions and environment. Such a stupid thing to get upset about, especially since we know better now. Well we should know better unfortunately evolution is still poorly taught in schools and science tends to be a thing of evil if makes you think differently...

I keep waiting for the human race to grow up. With what's happening in the world with the rise of populists, far right thinking and national identity we have a very long way to go. Sadly.

I wish it was as simple as skin color. By all accounts I’m white if you just look at me and you hear me speak. I have Hazel Brown eyes and not a trace of an accent which makes me “pass”. The punch in the gut comes when some unsuspecting racist asks me my name and you see the facial expression change. Two minutes ago we were having some laughs and now that my Latino-ness has come out I’m “one of them”. How f****d up is that?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I wish it was as simple as skin color. By all accounts I’m white if you just look at me and you hear me speak. I have Hazel Brown eyes and not a trace of an accent which makes me “pass”. The punch in the gut comes when some unsuspecting racist asks me my name and you see the facial expression change. Two minutes ago we were having some laughs and now that my Latino-ness has come out I’m “one of them”. How f****d up is that?
That is f##ked but not surprising unfortunately.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The most racially abused people in the UK are Polish or Eastern European. Just goes to show that skin colour isn't always the necessary requirement. The UK is a messed up place in a lot of ways.

The stupid part about skin colour is that it's a matter of a few genes and evolution based on sun conditions and environment. Such a stupid thing to get upset about, especially since we know better now. Well we should know better unfortunately evolution is still poorly taught in schools and science tends to be a thing of evil if makes you think differently...

I keep waiting for the human race to grow up. With what's happening in the world with the rise of populists, far right thinking and national identity we have a very long way to go. Sadly.
Within every ethnic group, there's one or two subgroups others **** on. That's just been modern human history, sadly. We can list those groups within each ethnicity and have a ******* contest comparing traumas, but it doesn't change how cruel people can be.

The stupid part about skin color is that it has become such an ingrained social construct where some folks have such seemingly instinctual visceral reactions to other ethnicities.

There's no "growing up" for humanity. Not at least while I'm alive. I do hope we can make strides, but when folks like Trump are elected and running amok, it shows how much work that we needed to do still.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The flowers were a hit.

It's times like these that makes me really year for a good camera phone outside of my 950XL. I'll post something I snapped quickly from Andy's phone later.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I was just watching some YouTube videos on modern robots. It’s amazing how fast things are developing. There is so much potential to do good in the future and it gets me excited about humanity, then I see things like what you mentioned and I realize we may have advanced technologically or scientifically but we sure haven’t advanced intellectually or humanly. In fact, I’m not confident we ever will.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I do hope we can make strides, but when folks like Trump are elected and running amok, it shows how much work that we needed to do still.
My wife cried on November 4, 2008. I'll admit, I was emotional too. It seemed like we as a society were on our way but now I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that we're suffering through some form of "payback" for our insolence.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The flowers were a hit.

It's times like these that makes me really year for a good camera phone outside of my 950XL. I'll post something I snapped quickly from Andy's phone later.
This where the camera on Andy's phone frustrates me...a few good tweaks here and there and it can be consistently solid. IMG_20180213_170634.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My wife cried on November 4, 2008. I'll admit, I was emotional too. It seemed like we as a society were on our way but now I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that we're suffering through some form of "payback" for our insolence.
I was cautiously optimistic on that date. I'll never, ever forget this photo they took of Obama in a quiet moment during election night after he won. You could see the gravity of the moment and the task at hand started to sink in on his face.

Once I saw that photo, I knew that they would fight him tooth and nail to get anything done. And sure enough, that's what happened. It was a significant moment, but not a truly progressive one.

'Murica is still too not ready for tackling true race issues. I'm very curious to see how the young people will handle it going forward. The world is more muddled and chaotic now.

I was talking to a colleague to end the work day and referenced this current conversation here. We talked about diversity and how superficial it a can be in many ways currently. There's much work to do.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You cannot go wrong with roses!
My supervisor, who saw the flowers as we ran into each other on the train once I picked them up after work stated she didn't like roses (but thought they looked nice)...

...guess I'm glad I wasn't buying them for her, right? LOL!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My supervisor, who saw the flowers as we ran into each other on the train once I picked them up after work stated she didn't like roses (but thought they looked nice)...

...guess I'm glad I wasn't buying them for her, right? LOL!
Wow! That's the first woman I've heard of who doesn't like roses.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was cautiously optimistic on that date. I'll never, ever forget this photo they took of Obama in a quiet moment during election night after he won. You could see the gravity of the moment and the task at hand started to sink in on his face.

Once I saw that photo, I knew that they would fight him tooth and nail to get anything done. And sure enough, that's what happened. It was a significant moment, but not a truly progressive one.

'Murica is still too not ready for tackling true race issues. I'm very curious to see how the young people will handle it going forward. The world is more muddled and chaotic now.

I was talking to a colleague to end the work day and referenced this current conversation here. We talked about diversity and how superficial it a can be in many ways currently. There's much work to do.
Did anyone watch the Obama interview with Letterman on Netflix?

It was good but it felt like a lot more could have been said.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My wife likes roses but they're not her favorite flower.

They also die too quickly.

I'm not a flower person at all. I think they are pretty but they would be wasted on me, especially for that reason. So I'm kind of with her on that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Flowers on Valentines is cliche. Flowers on any other day makes men thoughtful and romantic. Ladies, we love you with every fiber of our being but y’all drive us nuts.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Flowers on Valentines is cliche. Flowers on any other day makes men thoughtful and romantic. Ladies, we love you with every fiber of our being but y’all drive us nuts.

Haha. Your statement makes me wonder how 2 of my male friends who are in new relationships (for one of them, this is his first one) are dealing today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)