WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ooh what made you cave with the Panda one? I thought you wanted smaller?

Good luck with car shopping. Any particular models in mind?

I didn't give a single Pixel 2XL a fair shake. Also looks wise I like the Panda better than the Kinda Blue one. So I am going to give this a try.

Car models - right now we are looking at SUVs. We test drove the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Compass yesterday. Next up is the Honda CR-V.

Speaking of cars, the older car in the family is about to turn 18 years old. And it is beginning to give some trouble, cost me $700 to get some issues fixed. Two additional issues the mechanic said, don't bother fixing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I didn't give a single Pixel 2XL a fair shake. Also looks wise I like the Panda better than the Kinda Blue one. So I am going to give this a try.

Car models - right now we are looking at SUVs. We test drove the Jeep Cherokee and the Jeep Compass yesterday. Next up is the Honda CR-V.

Speaking of cars, the older car in the family is about to turn 18 years old. And it is beginning to give some trouble, cost me $700 to get some issues fixed. Two additional issues the mechanic said, don't bother fixing.

Ooh okay, that makes sense. I'm curious about how that would go for you with the Panda.

Ah okay, sounds like some good models to me. My friend has a CR-V and I have heard good things about it. I hope you'll be able to choose the one that works the best for your needs.

As for the 18 year old car, that's up to you of course.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I’m a Jeep lover but I would implore you to stay away from either of those models. The Cherokee has been an albatross with the automatic transmission and the Compass has transmission and overheating issues. Never had a CR-V but I’ve heard good things about them. The BMW X3 is a solid “small” SUV if you can find a good deal on one.

I’m going to be in your shoes fairly soon as the missus’ Hummer is closing in on 200k but there are so few SUVs with manual transmissions. That’s one item that is 100% non-negotiable with her. I mean, the truck is pristine with not even a door ding but I’ve dropped $2k on it in the past 6 months.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I followed through with taking some hours off yesterday and it felt so good because I was able to get the hours back to relax and prepare for today. I was able to do the things I needed to do. I just have to remind myself to do this again sometime. Feeling better today than I did at the start of the week. I just need to review for the quiz tonight.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I’m a Jeep lover but I would implore you to stay away from either of those models. The Cherokee has been an albatross with the automatic transmission and the Compass has transmission and overheating issues. Never had a CR-V but I’ve heard good things about them. The BMW X3 is a solid “small” SUV if you can find a good deal on one.

I’m going to be in your shoes fairly soon as the missus’ Hummer is closing in on 200k but there are so few SUVs with manual transmissions. That’s one item that is 100% non-negotiable with her. I mean, the truck is pristine with not even a door ding but I’ve dropped $2k on it in the past 6 months.

Thanks for the feedback. We just wanted to get the test drive and the allure of an American brand out of the way. I do think we are leaning towards a CR-V EX-L. It has the options that would make it pretty similar to the 18 year old Acura TL that we want to replace. Wife doesn't like the look of the X3, she likes the X5 - but it is way out of budget.

Ironically enough the Jeep Compass offers a manual transmission.
I stopped driving a manual in 2012 and the Mrs. stopped driving a manual in 2004.
The Acura is getting old enough where now it eats up about $100 a month on average to keep it running. The mechanic told us to not fix the clock because it is part of the navigation unit and the cost of getting that fixed is more than the residual value of the car. We just have to get used to seeing 0:00 where the clock is. There is also a temperature control issue but the main culprit (air mixer motor) has been replaced once already so the mechanic recommended to just ignore it because pressing Auto or the A/C ON button seems to resolve the temperature issue. The car is pretty much pristine with only 165K miles but paint is fading and the hot sun has taken a small toll on the leather seats in the front. Otherwise no issues.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good luck with this.
Yeah. I think I may just stop grumbling and get a Pixel (soon enough) and a V30+ later in the year. Not sure what I'll do with Andy's phone - but the Mi Note 2 and 950 XL are on collector status and won't be sold.

I don't like conformity and supporting grab with OEMs being piecemeal on features...but maybe I just should bite the bullet and do the 2+ years of software support from Google.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah. I think I may just stop grumbling and get a Pixel (soon enough) and a V30+ later in the year. Not sure what I'll do with Andy's phone - but the Mi Note 2 and 950 XL are on collector status and won't be sold.

I don't like conformity and supporting grab with OEMs being piecemeal on features...but maybe I just should bite the bullet and do the 2+ years of software support from Google.

That sounds like a solid plan, because it sounds like doing that would meet your software support needs on Android and the security patch as well. The V30+ probably has great sound too from what I have heard and it would meet that for you. I hate that you have to get 2 different phones to get what you want.

I think you might be able to get a decent turnaround on Andy's phone since it's still niche and getting all of these software updates. Since you have great willpower, you should be fine with what you decide to do.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That sounds like a solid plan, because it sounds like doing that would meet your software support needs on Android and the security patch as well. The V30+ probably has great sound too from what I have heard and it would meet that for you. I hate that you have to get 2 different phones to get what you want.

I think you might be able to get a decent turnaround on Andy's phone since it's still niche and getting all of these software updates. Since you have great willpower, you should be fine with what you decide to do.
Truth be told, I like Andy's phone. It's a nice sort of device. Having used it, I don't regret the approach I took to get it - to wait it out.

But if I we're picking between this and the Nokia 8 at the start, I'd take the 8.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Truth be told, I like Andy's phone. It's a nice sort of device. Having used it, I don't regret the approach I took to get it - to wait it out.

But if I we're picking between this and the Nokia 8 at the start, I'd take the 8.

I have to agree that you did the best thing by waiting it out. The 8 is probably more interesting though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Recently got a Subaru Forester. Love it.

I love the Forester. It doesn't have one feature that is an absolute must have for us in any trim level and so it got ruled out. We even contemplated getting an Outback but they get quite pricey in a hurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss