WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Oh no doubt about either Subaru being a great vehicle. We were disappointed that the feature we want wasn't available easily.

Interesting how some manufacturers have gone to only adding certain features to the higher lines. Makes it tough to get exactly what you want.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Interesting how some manufacturers have gone to only adding certain features to the higher lines. Makes it tough to get exactly what you want.

Yeah. And usually you have to buy the most expensive or the 2nd most expensive trim level to get that feature.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Exactly.
I’m pretty simple in my tastes and needs so I stick with a mid-tier package.
Were you always like that or have manufacturers forced you into thinking that way. Here's why I ask. We had a 2001 Escape, with a manual transmission of course, and it was the XLT with every feature available at the time. My 2001 Ram Cummins at that time was also a manual and it was the Laramie with every feature available too. Now, if you want a stick, you're forced into the lowest trim levels. Ergo, I'm pretty simple in my tastes as well. Guess I'm keeping the H3 as long as I can, I don't think momma can live without her sunroof and Chrome Package. Gotta have that bling in the 305 you know.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Were you always like that or have manufacturers forced you into thinking that way. Here's why I ask. We had a 2001 Escape, with a manual transmission of course, and it was the XLT with every feature available at the time. My 2001 Ram Cummins at that time was also a manual and it was the Laramie with every feature available too. Now, if you want a stick, you're forced into the lowest trim levels. Ergo, I'm pretty simple in my tastes as well. Guess I'm keeping the H3 as long as I can, I don't think momma can live without her sunroof and Chrome Package. Gotta have that bling in the 305 you know.
#305Chromeshine

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Always been this way. They make their money on overpriced features. I’m not donating my money to them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Always been this way. They make their money on overpriced features. I’m not donating my money to them.

I haven't bought a brand new car since '87. I buy used within the same year and get balance of factory warranty and miss out on taillight depreciation.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I kinda circumvented this by buying fully loaded certified pre owned versions. But I finally want a new car and have no choice but to pay for the extras. My first pickup (98 Nissan Frontier) was stick with everything manual. It was the best vehicle that I have owned. I miss it everyday.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback. We just wanted to get the test drive and the allure of an American brand out of the way. I do think we are leaning towards a CR-V EX-L. It has the options that would make it pretty similar to the 18 year old Acura TL that we want to replace. Wife doesn't like the look of the X3, she likes the X5 - but it is way out of budget.

Ironically enough the Jeep Compass offers a manual transmission.
I stopped driving a manual in 2012 and the Mrs. stopped driving a manual in 2004.
The Acura is getting old enough where now it eats up about $100 a month on average to keep it running. The mechanic told us to not fix the clock because it is part of the navigation unit and the cost of getting that fixed is more than the residual value of the car. We just have to get used to seeing 0:00 where the clock is. There is also a temperature control issue but the main culprit (air mixer motor) has been replaced once already so the mechanic recommended to just ignore it because pressing Auto or the A/C ON button seems to resolve the temperature issue. The car is pretty much pristine with only 165K miles but paint is fading and the hot sun has taken a small toll on the leather seats in the front. Otherwise no issues.
As a driver of an X3 I can understand why she might not like it but I personally think the X5 is way too big. But then, you guys live in the US so probably a different take on things.

The other downside to BMW is the maintenance costs. They're not cheap to service!

Then again, all cars have gotten pricey to service these days. It's why leasing has become so popular in the UK and why small garages are closing down.

Not sure what it's like anywhere else these days. Here in France cars are kept until they did basically.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

As a driver of an X3 I can understand why she might not like it but I personally think the X5 is way too big. But then, you guys live in the US so probably a different take on things.

The other downside to BMW is the maintenance costs. They're not cheap to service!

Then again, all cars have gotten pricey to service these days. It's why leasing has become so popular in the UK and why small garages are closing down.

Not sure what it's like anywhere else these days. Here in France cars are kept until they did basically.
Maintenance costs are a factor in the decision. X5 is definitely bigger than what we want. The CR-V is cavernous compared to the X3. Looks wise not so much but it seems like a good compromise between cost, size, features and long term ownership costs.

I keep cars till they die so that's why the luxury name plate brands are a bit harder pill to swallow.

On a side note, my wife seems to warm up to car models usually after the auto maker stops making that version and switches to a different body style. That's a running joke in the family.

Also the lease cost model works well for out the door monthly payments for about $250. If the lease price is more than that then it's better to buy the car new or certified used and keep it till the wheels fall off.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I haven't bought a brand new car since '87. I buy used within the same year and get balance of factory warranty and miss out on taillight depreciation.
I tried that logic for the CR-V but so far no such luck. And Hondas hold their value quite well.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Maintenance costs are a factor in the decision. X5 is definitely bigger than what we want. The CR-V is cavernous compared to the X3. Looks wise not so much but it seems like a good compromise between cost, size, features and long term ownership costs.

I keep cars till they die so that's why the luxury name plate brands are a bit harder pill to swallow.

On a side note, my wife seems to warm up to car models usually after the auto maker stops making that version and switches to a different body style. That's a running joke in the family.

Also the lease cost model works well for out the door monthly payments for about $250. If the lease price is more than that then it's better to buy the car new or certified used and keep it till the wheels fall off.

The CR-V was my second choice. It seems like a really nice vehicle and gets excellent reviews. I would have been happy with either one but settled on the Subaru for its overall better performance in snow which is important to me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The CR-V was my second choice. It seems like a really nice vehicle and gets excellent reviews. I would have been happy with either one but settled on the Subaru for its overall better performance in snow which is important to me.
I'm in SoCal. Snow doesn't bother me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99