WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

After typing that statement, I just realized that I have only had 2 Android phones for a "long" time from 2016 to present. The Galaxy A3 I currently own and used for like 3 months and the same goes with the Honor 8.
And yet, I have had my SE for almost 2 years and I use it daily, just not as a phone. I have switched to it a lot in that time frame. iOS 11 has been really broken but I think I'll like to have it again. I may or may not have looked at iPhones recently...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

XA2 Ultra is in stock at my local Best Buy. It's probably the only Android I have any interest in currently so I must take a peek. I was at a TMO store today checking out the Notch Mess Monster and I can't help feeling an ex-BlackBerry engineer works for Apple now. The gestures are very similar to BB10 so flipping around on it was second nature. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even notice the notch was there. How often do we really look up to that part of the display anyway?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I think I might want to try an Android Go or an Android One phone. I know these are two different things but I'm sure the latter would probably run nicely. Android Go is an interesting concept and I just wonder how it would be to try that out.

As for Android One, the current available options are too tall for my liking.

Edit: I looked into the Android One phones and I mean the ones that can actually get LTE here. The Nokia 8 Sirocco is passable but $$$. I don't even want to think about how much that would be in dollars.
I had the Xiaomi Mi A1 which was an Android One device. Looked just like my OG Pixel at that time.
I don't know what you are going to gain there if you have already tried the Pixel 2.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I know this thought is random but how it would be on non-Google hardware is interesting to me. The only problem I had with the Pixel 2 aside from the just ok battery life was the height. It was just too tall for me. Otherwise, solid phone.

For Android Go, I'm curious to see if it would run better than other low-end phones with regular Android, usually pretty skinned at that too. I just want to try one out. I might not last with an Android Go phone, but the Android One ones though, should be fine.
Battery life has been fine for me. About 4.5 he SOT consistently even with crappy signal and WiFi turned off.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

XA2 Ultra is in stock at my local Best Buy. It's probably the only Android I have any interest in currently so I must take a peek. I was at a TMO store today checking out the Notch Mess Monster and I can't help feeling an ex-BlackBerry engineer works for Apple now. The gestures are very similar to BB10 so flipping around on it was second nature. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even notice the notch was there. How often do we really look up to that part of the display anyway?
Let us know if you decide to get the XA2 Ultra.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ooh if you cave on the XA2 Ultra, I second 99's thoughts.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I recall you saying that you used to use custom ROMs. I now get your reaction to my statement.

I'm not into that stuff because I hate being concerned if I broke something. Anyway, I haven't had that experience. The Android phones I have owned for the longest period of time have been heavily skinned.
The thing with root back in the days was actually rooting the device. Once the custom ROMs we're built, flashing was easy. A friend of my was a flashoholic where he'd flash multiple ROMs daily to test out stuff. I used to love big storage because I'd have large Nandroid backups + ROMs + kernels + other extras. I remember when Clockwork Mod was the truth for custom recovery and root.

Even in those days I used to wait until builds were mature before I flashed the ROMs I liked. It was amazing because the skins were so bad and clunky on top of older hardware that ROMs made a difference to make some devices more usable.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I had the Xiaomi Mi A1 which was an Android One device. Looked just like my OG Pixel at that time.
I don't know what you are going to gain there if you have already tried the Pixel 2.

That's true. I don't expect for it to be better but a shorter device would be nice for me. That was my biggest gripe with the Pixel 2.

Speaking of Pixel 2, please keep us posted how it goes with your Panda 2 XL!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The thing with root back in the days was actually rooting the device. Once the custom ROMs we're built, flashing was easy. A friend of my was a flashoholic where he'd flash multiple ROMs daily to test out stuff. I used to love big storage because I'd have large Nandroid backups + ROMs + kernels + other extras. I remember when Clockwork Mod was the truth for custom recovery and root.

Even in those days I used to wait until builds were mature before I flashed the ROMs I liked. It was amazing because the skins were so bad and clunky on top of older hardware that ROMs made a difference to make some devices more usable.

I can imagine it made a massive difference! That's very cool actually.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I was going to try that but started out with a Nexus 4 in late 2013 and never got around to flashing ROMs. Although I have recovered a few bricked Chinese devices but have always got them to the official factory ROM.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

That's true. I don't expect for it to be better but a shorter device would be nice for me. That was my biggest gripe with the Pixel 2.

Speaking of Pixel 2, please keep us posted how it goes with your Panda 2 XL!
I haven't gotten around to doing that. Work has been crazy. On Monday I have to go to San Jose for a 2 hour meeting. I will probably take it with me to Boston on the week of March 12 and see if I find time on one of the evenings to sort it out.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I was going to try that but started out with a Nexus 4 in late 2013 and never got around to flashing ROMs. Although I have recovered a few bricked Chinese devices but have always got them to the official factory ROM.
I think I've bricked only one device and was able to restore it. I was very careful not to brick too many devices.

Galaxy Nexus was so fun to use. I'd flash MIUI, Sony, CM nightlies, Slim ROMs, Paranoid Android. I was funny as I often liked ROMs that were good but with less popular/shorter shelf lives (like my hardware tastes). I never flashed alpha ROMs and very few betas.

It just time consuming and as Google made their stock Android better, I rooted less devices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I haven't gotten around to doing that. Work has been crazy. On Monday I have to go to San Jose for a 2 hour meeting. I will probably take it with me to Boston on the week of March 12 and see if I find time on one of the evenings to sort it out.

I believe it based on your recent travels and travel to come. Just whenever you can get around to it (no rush), I'm curious.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Stayed up late going down memory lane. That was a bad idea since it got so late but it's interesting to remember how I felt the last time I was with someone. I could feel the excitement over again.
It makes me wonder if I should have stayed friends with him after all. Not in the hopes of getting back together, that ship has sailed since we ended things. He was a cool friend first. I unfriended him because of how weird it looks to still be so friendly to an ex and trying to date new people. It's different if there was property, a business, a child but not the case here at all.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Stayed up late going down memory lane. That was a bad idea since it got so late but it's interesting to remember how I felt the last time I was with someone. I could feel the excitement over again.
It makes me wonder if I should have stayed friends with him after all. Not in the hopes of getting back together, that ship has sailed since we ended things. He was a cool friend first. I unfriended him because of how weird it looks to still be so friendly to an ex and trying to date new people. It's different if there was property, a business, a child but not the case here at all.
"An ex is an ex for a reason."

It's not everyone who is an ex (ex-lover, ex-friend, ex-boss, ex-mentor, ex-colleague, etc) is worth maintaining current connections with. Relationships of all kinds change because it takes work for two people to remain on the same page.

"We don't always get to keep everyone we encounter through our life course constantly, except within our memories."

You know, there's a blog you subcribed to a while back with some posts on stuff like this. And while the author is on seasonal haitus, you may or may not find stuff in there that's on this topic that's useful.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

"An ex is an ex for a reason."

It's not everyone who is an ex (ex-lover, ex-friend, ex-boss, ex-mentor, ex-colleague, etc) is worth maintaining current connections with. Relationships of all kinds change because it takes work for two people to remain on the same page.

"We don't always get to keep everyone we encounter through our life course constantly, except within our memories."

You know, there's a blog you subcribed to a while back with some posts on stuff like this. And while the author is on seasonal haitus, you may or may not find stuff in there that's on this topic that's useful.

Yes, I believe there is something there. I'll have to check out again.

You're right about the work and maintaining whatever relationship though. I remember me wanting the best for him but feeling slighted that all of these changes with him happened like after it ended. I wanted him to want them for himself when he was with me but that's not how it happened.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I believe there is something there. I'll have to check out again.

You're right about the work and maintaining whatever relationship though. I remember me wanting the best for him but feeling slighted that all of these changes with him happened like after it ended. I wanted him to want them for himself when he was with me but that's not how it happened.
Every experience we have, if we choose the right mindset, can be a formative one. We don't always get to be around to see positive changes bear fruit in people we care(d) about.

That's life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99