WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

"An ex is an ex for a reason."

It's not everyone who is an ex (ex-lover, ex-friend, ex-boss, ex-mentor, ex-colleague, etc) is worth maintaining current connections with. Relationships of all kinds change because it takes work for two people to remain on the same page.

"We don't always get to keep everyone we encounter through our life course constantly, except within our memories."

You know, there's a blog you subcribed to a while back with some posts on stuff like this. And while the author is on seasonal haitus, you may or may not find stuff in there that's on this topic that's useful.
I had to dig. I have forgotten that I have read some of those words (in 2 different posts, one from last October on friendships and one from 2013). Reading them again, made me realize that while ideally, it could seem nice, I don't think it would be worth it for me or him to be friends and that kind of sucks because he was the best one, the most special (for reasons you might not be able to guess), the only one I can say that I actually loved out of the relationships I have had. I'm going to spare you additional rambling in this post and just say that it might feel unbalanced. He was and still kind of is a unicorn but he can't be the only one...

Thanks for the reminder of the helpful posts which can enable me to let this idea rest. He still sends me birthday wishes each year even though I haven't sent him any in years.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Every experience we have, if we choose the right mindset, can be a formative one. We don't always get to be around to see positive changes bear fruit in people we care(d) about.

That's life.

That's true, again, you're right about that. The whole thing really is a formative experience. I felt that way (at the time) because of how our relationship was towards the end.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Every experience we have, if we choose the right mindset, can be a formative one. We don't always get to be around to see positive changes bear fruit in people we care(d) about.

That's life.

Living in the past keeps you from moving forward. You hope that those you once cared for grow as people. Muhammad Ali famously said that a person who thinks the same way at 60 as they did at 30 wasted half their life.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's true, again, you're right about that. The whole thing really is a formative experience. I felt that way (at the time) because of how our relationship was towards the end.
The end of every relationship sucks. It's how you bounce back and learn from it is what ultimately matters.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Andy's phone is quite polarizing. It's such an awesome first generation product. Still, the compromises are such a pain in the ***.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Andy's phone is quite polarizing. It's such an awesome first generation product. Still, the compromises are such a pain in the ***.

Yeah you have a couple of big ones. I hate that the compromises seem to be big things that you will notice/experience.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah you have a couple of big ones. I hate that the compromises seem to be big things that you will notice/experience.
Camera and software experience (lag) are tough to overcome. It's good enough to keep but not sure if it's good enough as a daily driver.

We'll see.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Camera and software experience (lag) are tough to overcome. It's good enough to keep but not sure if it's good enough as a daily driver.

We'll see.

It is. I can relate to you on the lag bit with my current phone. It's a pain. It sounds like the incoming phone has the chance to change your mind some. By that, I mean if it would be good enough as your main phone.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It is. I can relate to you on the lag bit with my current phone. It's a pain. It sounds like the incoming phone has the chance to change your mind some. By that, I mean if it would be good enough as your main phone.
Storage space will be an issue for sure. We'll see how it goes.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I forgot that you have a good amount of music, so it does sound like you'll find out for sure.
Well, I've used a fixed storage phone with 32GB about a year or so, and I made out OK. Still, I really prefer 128GB for fixed storage and 64GB + SD card expansion for others.

We'll see.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So the Light Phone 2 keeps rolling around in my mind. I really like the idea of it. I wouldn't buy it for the price though. Someone made a thread here about using their Windows Phone as a way to try out this idea and I think I'll like to give it a try for a day at least but with a modification.

My modification would be to use my A3 as a WiFi only device so no WiFi means I can't connect to the apps I'm always in. My books will be there, and I'll download my stuff offline for listening on it. I don't have faith in myself for this working out long term but it's worth a try.

I see myself refreshing my email a lot LOL.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the Light Phone 2 keeps rolling around in my mind. I really like the idea of it. I wouldn't buy it for the price though. Someone made a thread here about using their Windows Phone as a way to try out this idea and I think I'll like to give it a try for a day at least but with a modification.

My modification would be to use my A3 as a WiFi only device so no WiFi means I can't connect to the apps I'm always in. My books will be there, and I'll download my stuff offline for listening on it. I don't have faith in myself for this working out long term but it's worth a try.

I see myself refreshing my email a lot LOL.
Once Chase left and the Wells Fargo app got useless, the XL went into collector status. Otherwise, what I would do is to pair my Android watch to my wireless headphones and play my commuter music like that and use the XL as a phone.

Music in XL was OK - chip was a battery sink in the same way the current administration is.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Once Chase left and the Wells Fargo app got useless, the XL went into collector status. Otherwise, what I would do is to pair my Android watch to my wireless headphones and play my commuter music like that and use the XL as a phone.

Music in XL was OK - chip was a battery sink in the same way the current administration is.

I believe that on all counts. It's sad. I would have done the same as you with it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'd still like to try a Nokia 8, for some reason. Not sure. Maybe I'd trade Andy's phone for one.

What I am curious about is if the Camera Pro app will make it to the 8.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I forgot that Windows phones can be quirky after setup so I have to reset to get my settings to work. Even though I'm doing this, MMS settings are basic at this point. Hopefully it would work. I should have backed up my home screen though. Oh well.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I forgot that Windows phones can be quirky after setup so I have to reset to get my settings to work. Even though I'm doing this, MMS settings are basic at this point. Hopefully it would work. I should have backed up my home screen though. Oh well.

Nope, no luck. It caused more problems so I'm out and after trying everything MMS still does not work for me and that is something that is very necessary for my life. Love the idea but I lost 2 hours that I can't get back for this. I'll have to look into another way to try out this idea.

Edit: Ditched the Lumia and I will be doing this with the SE. I felt some internal resistance by deleting the apps but I still did it anyway. I left a game, email and some information apps (such as signal, my carrier app, etc) but everything else is gone. I'm unsure about deleting or keeping Google Maps but I'll leave it for now.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'd still like to try a Nokia 8, for some reason. Not sure. Maybe I'd trade Andy's phone for one.

What I am curious about is if the Camera Pro app will make it to the 8.
I finally saw the Nokia phones here in France. Not bad looking phones actually.

I'll see how they progress. I may pick one up in the future. I've learned my lesson of never buying first revision.

One of those days I have to get back to caring about tech. Don't want to become one of those old people frightened of new things.

Thing is tech is a bit boring at the moment.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I have never seen a new Nokia in the wild. But I'm also interested in buying it, probably next year's generation or maybe Nokia 9 once it lands. They are doing things I liked them for since Symbian days, concentrating on camera and build quality ( Stainless steel is life ) and stock Android and quick updates through Android One are the thing I want ( a bit baffled that Android P is not far away yet my Moto is still stuck on Android 7.0, they have gotten worse since Moto G 2014).

I do agree tech, at least mobile phone tech is a bit boring now, more or less we are at the stage of PC CPUs, small upgrades each year. But it is true we have gotten so far so we can't expect so big jumps.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I finally saw the Nokia phones here in France. Not bad looking phones actually.

I'll see how they progress. I may pick one up in the future. I've learned my lesson of never buying first revision.

One of those days I have to get back to caring about tech. Don't want to become one of those old people frightened of new things.

Thing is tech is a bit boring at the moment.
I agree that tech is boring now. Which is why I'm looking for a good friend mix for my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)