WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Just got the 7 and plot twist, the software on it is "too old" to take the data from my iPhone SE. Now that is something that I didn't expect. This hasn't happened before.

Otherwise, I'm pleased so far. Got new EarPods with the lightning connector, genuine Apple brick, and cable. Also still has AppleCare eligibility (which I might not do this time) with complimentary phone support still valid and 10.2.1! I'm thinking this was probably a Apple Store refurbished 7 based on what I see here and that works for me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just got the 7 and plot twist, the software on it is "too old" to take the data from my iPhone SE. Now that is something that I didn't expect. This hasn't happened before.

Otherwise, I'm pleased so far. Got new EarPods with the lightning connector, genuine Apple brick, and cable. Also still has AppleCare eligibility (which I might not do this time) with complimentary phone support still valid and 10.2.1! I'm thinking this was probably a Apple Store refurbished 7 based on what I see here and that works for me.
Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out.

Thanks. It's been pretty normal so far, but I'll let you all know. When I was considering buying a 7 originally, I had no interest in a "new" one. The refurbished Apple Store 7 was my choice.
I had to resetup everything which didn't suck as much since I have less apps now lol.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. It's been pretty normal so far, but I'll let you all know. When I was considering buying a 7 originally, I had no interest in a "new" one. The refurbished Apple Store 7 was my choice.
I had to resetup everything which didn't suck as much since I have less apps now lol.
The one thing I agreed with MKBHD about was Apple not making a red model with a black front.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The one thing I agreed with MKBHD about was Apple not making a red model with a black front.

I can get why Apple chose not to do that, but that would have been pretty sick to see. The few phones I have seen over the years with red backs and black fronts have been really striking.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can get why Apple chose not to do that, but that would have been pretty sick to see. The few phones I have seen over the years with red backs and black fronts have been really striking.
Oh well. I did like the 7. For some reason the screen on the 7 looks better than the one on the 8...to my eyes at least.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Oh well. I did like the 7. For some reason the screen on the 7 looks better than the one on the 8...to my eyes at least.

That's possible, I really wouldn't know. My favorite thing about the 8 for the 3 days I had it was the TrueTone display option. I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the processing of photos on the 7 over the 8. The 8 just feels very different and appears to have less natural colors when it comes to that.

I plan to hang out with this 7 for a bit hopefully...
A bit probably has a different meaning for you, of course.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's possible, I really wouldn't know. My favorite thing about the 8 for the 3 days I had it was the TrueTone display option. I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the processing of photos on the 7 over the 8. The 8 just feels very different and appears to have less natural colors when it comes to that.

I plan to hang out with this 7 for a bit hopefully...
A bit probably has a different meaning for you, of course.
Well, good luck with that.

The growing trend now is OEMs may have a harder time starting this year selling stuff. The iPhone X isn't a bad device at all, but outside on being on a carrier to get it subsidized, there's nothing in it that's worth the price tag. As much as I respect the Note line, there's nothing in there that's worth that price tag either. In fact, none of the high end phones from Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC (U11+ here) and Apple are worth their asking price.

It's why Swappa or certain other sites is a boon for savvy shoppers and a trainwreck for enthusiasts who swap phones alot. The tech isn't jumping in those great leaps that we used to see, so it's better sometimes for folks to hang onto their devices longer. Which is what makes after sales software support even more important for Android OEMs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well, good luck with that.

The growing trend now is OEMs may have a harder time starting this year selling stuff. The iPhone X isn't a bad device at all, but outside on being on a carrier to get it subsidized, there's nothing in it that's worth the price tag. As much as I respect the Note line, there's nothing in there that's worth that price tag either. In fact, none of the high end phones from Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC (U11+ here) and Apple are worth their asking price.

It's why Swappa or certain other sites is a boon for savvy shoppers and a trainwreck for enthusiasts who swap phones alot. The tech isn't jumping in those great leaps that we used to see, so it's better sometimes for folks to hang onto their devices longer. Which is what makes after sales software support even more important for Android OEMs.

I totally agree with you on all counts. I don't know about Samsung but I feel like I'm seeing this for Apple. I watched a video yesterday of a guy who has used iPhones for 10 years and recently switched to the Pixel 2 XL. One of his reasons was that the pricing was crazy.

As for the luck, thanks. It's my only workable option at this point. Everything else has a noticeable compromise that is annoying and as you said, not really worth the money. I considered the first Pixel but decided against it, as it isn't for me to try for a 4th time lol.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I lasted a whole week with my experiment. The carrying 2 phones thing occasionally had me mixing up phones but it did what it was meant to do and I learned from it (this experiment). Surprisingly, I generally felt less anxious after the first day and that feeling remained throughout the week. Now I have to figure out how to use apps better. I have an idea but I'll have to see if it can work out. I hope it does though...

I kind of find myself liking the separation actually since it made me look at my phone less actually. I found that since I was reaching of it less, I had to deal with waiting in line, appointments, etc rather than seeing what has changed, if anything across the medias. (I know this is a given, but considering how I am, this is important.) Also I'm considering what apps to bring back and what ones to leave.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I totally agree with you on all counts. I don't know about Samsung but I feel like I'm seeing this for Apple. I watched a video yesterday of a guy who has used iPhones for 10 years and recently switched to the Pixel 2 XL. One of his reasons was that the pricing was crazy.

As for the luck, thanks. It's my only workable option at this point. Everything else has a noticeable compromise that is annoying and as you said, not really worth the money. I considered the first Pixel but decided against it, as it isn't for me to try for a 4th time lol.
As for Samsung, since you asked...

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Sam...re-orders-down-30-compared-Galaxy-S8_id103131

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Wow, you called this one! 30% is noticeable.
It's not surprising, because it's a tock cycle (like the S versions for Apple), and if you read stuff recently...2017 was the first year that global smartphone shipments declined over the previous year.

OEMs, Apple included, are still chasing the ghosts of Apple's iPhone 3GS - iPhone 5 super profits.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I lasted a whole week with my experiment. The carrying 2 phones thing occasionally had me mixing up phones but it did what it was meant to do and I learned from it (this experiment). Surprisingly, I generally felt less anxious after the first day and that feeling remained throughout the week. Now I have to figure out how to use apps better. I have an idea but I'll have to see if it can work out. I hope it does though...

I kind of find myself liking the separation actually since it made me look at my phone less actually. I found that since I was reaching of it less, I had to deal with waiting in line, appointments, etc rather than seeing what has changed, if anything across the medias. (I know this is a given, but considering how I am, this is important.) Also I'm considering what apps to bring back and what ones to leave.
Well, it appears you're working through this the best way you can.

I can relate, which led me to get a tablet and a smartwatch to offload doing everything therefore being on my phone all the time. The checking habit is annoying, but with using the watch it cut mine down significantly.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's not surprising, because it's a tock cycle (like the S versions for Apple), and if you read stuff recently...2017 was the first year that global smartphone shipments declined over the previous year.

OEMs, Apple included, are still chasing the ghosts of Apple's iPhone 3GS - iPhone 5 super profits.
I think Apple is still raking in the money hand over fist just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte