WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's a phone I still like. There's a part of me that wants to keep it and park it in the bench as a back up for the Pixel 2, but there's a part of me that also would prefer to get a V30 for it as I'd be more likely to use them both (and OK with parking the Mi Note 2 with the 950XL).

I get that since there's a decent amount of positive things about it. It has a lot but I think you would probably enjoy the V30 and Pixel 2 combo more as you have mentioned. Dual cameras, manual mode, headphone jack, and of course the audio experience are some things that come to mind.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Me too. Apparently battery life is good.
I take it you don't have a smartwatch?

If you don't, this would be a nice option as I'd stay away from the LG watch style or stuff like that. Maybe an Apple watch on a good deal could work too, since you've got iOS.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I get that since there's a decent amount of positive things about it. It has a lot but I think you would probably enjoy the V30 and Pixel 2 combo more as you have mentioned. Dual cameras, manual mode, headphone jack, and of course the audio experience are some things that come to mind.
Yup.

I like dual cameras - wide angle and monochrome. I suppose one of the only single camera setups I'd prefer trading a monochrome setup for is the one on the Pixel.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I take it you don't have a smartwatch?

If you don't, this would be a nice option as I'd stay away from the LG watch style or stuff like that. Maybe an Apple watch on a good deal could work too, since you've got iOS.

Yep, I don't have one. I like the idea of them but most of them aside from the Apple Watch have big watch faces or just weren't cute enough for me. I might have small wrists but I'm not one of those girls who likes a big watch face. I haven't heard anything good about battery life for Apple Watches sadly. For me, the less frequently I have to charge something, the better, but that probably isn't surprising.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yup.

I like dual cameras - wide angle and monochrome. I suppose one of the only single camera setups I'd prefer trading a monochrome setup for is the one on the Pixel.

That makes sense, since it's really good on the Pixel. I'm still amazed that it does Portrait Mode so well with just one lens.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Having swapped over to the lil Pixie dust for the past week, when I booked up Andy's phone it reminded me of how well designed it is from the screen to body ratio aspect.

If the camera was where it was now at the beginning and still gotten the same level of updates to actually improve it, it would still be my daily driver as I really like the screen.

I just think they made the camera too barebones to start off and as much as they've updated the app...it feels like they were fleshing out the app more than really improving the post processing in a more meaningful way. Do pictures look better now? Sure, but not by a ton...and that's my issue.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Having swapped over to the lil Pixie dust for the past week, when I booked up Andy's phone it reminded me of how well designed it is from the screen to body ratio aspect.

If the camera was where it was now at the beginning and still gotten the same level of updates to actually improve it, it would still be my daily driver as I really like the screen.

I just think they made the camera too barebones to start off and as much as they've updated the app...it feels like they were fleshing out the app more than really improving the post processing in a more meaningful way. Do pictures look better now? Sure, but not by a ton...and that's my issue.

I think that's a valid issue. It would be nice if they did that. It kind of gives me Nextbit Robin vibes in that sense. Not the same camera of course, but the process it went through to get to that point.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The camera here feels like a more poorly executed idea of what Google did with the OG Pixel.

Andy's team got a lot right the first try...design, in hand feel, premium materials, very attractive packagaing and color options. They just missed where most people though they would have excelled - software.

I do like the phone. When it ran smooth, it was a treat to use. It was so barebones it was great! I literally could put the basics on it and rock out just fine. That I love because there's stuff on the lil Pixie dust I wish I could uninstall but I can't. On Andy's phone, I was able to use the Sony apps for gallery and music flawlessly and didn't have to bother with Play music and Google Photos, apps I never use. It was so lean, outside of the camera it's a great phone to go fully MSFT apps on.

In the end, what did me in was the really small things such as not being able to charge the phone with anything other than my battery pack if not using the bundled charger. Or the radio performance on T-Mobile (If I were on Verizon, I heard it runs like a true champ).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That makes sense, since it's really good on the Pixel. I'm still amazed that it does Portrait Mode so well with just one lens.
Google software tricks. They got really good at it and shocked a lot of people on the Pixel... especially since the Nexus cameras up to the 5 were garbage. I think the 5 was where they slowly started to make improvements.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The camera here feels like a more poorly executed idea of what Google did with the OG Pixel.

Andy's team got a lot right the first try...design, in hand feel, premium materials, very attractive packagaing and color options. They just missed where most people though they would have excelled - software.

I do like the phone. When it ran smooth, it was a treat to use. It was so barebones it was great! I literally could put the basics on it and rock out just fine. That I love because there's stuff on the lil Pixie dust I wish I could uninstall but I can't. On Andy's phone, I was able to use the Sony apps for gallery and music flawlessly and didn't have to bother with Play music and Google Photos, apps I never use. It was so lean, outside of the camera it's a great phone to go fully MSFT apps on.

In the end, what did me in was the really small things such as not being able to charge the phone with anything other than my battery pack if not using the bundled charger. Or the radio performance on T-Mobile (If I were on Verizon, I heard it runs like a true champ).

I find that the small things matter the most in the end. At least it always does for me anyway, especially if they are inconveniences.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I find that the small things matter the most in the end. At least it always does for me anyway, especially if they are inconveniences.
They matter. The radio performance and battery charging were huge for me. I would wake up some days where the phone didn't charge at all overnight when I plugged it into a QC adapter.

I think 8.1 will make a massive difference for the phone. I just updated it and it runs a lot faster than the beta did.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They matter. The radio performance and battery charging were huge for me. I would wake up some days where the phone didn't charge at all overnight when I plugged it into a QC adapter.

I think 8.1 will make a massive difference for the phone. I just updated it and it runs a lot faster than the beta did.
Yup, sometimes software can boost the appeal of a device and I think 8.1 was the right move for Andy's team. Device feels much more responsive.

Only time will tell though. As it stands, I'd certainly keep it as a spare (although I may not do so).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yup, sometimes software can boost the appeal of a device and I think 8.1 was the right move for Andy's team. Device feels much more responsive.

Only time will tell though. As it stands, I'd certainly keep it as a spare (although I may not do so).

That's good that it is faster. That's a solid way to start. I wouldn't be surprised if you decide not to considering that the battery not charging with certain chargers and the radio sound like annoying issues to deal with long term.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's good that it is faster. That's a solid way to start. I wouldn't be surprised if you decide not to considering that the battery not charging with certain chargers and the radio sound like annoying issues to deal with long term.
I'll test it out to see if with the stable version the charging issues are the same. I also had read a while back that 8.1 was to bring some improvements to the radios.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Dealing with WhatsApp from one platform to another makes me want to stay on Android. It is such a pain and it still didn't work. Welp. Thankfully one group remained, even though it's empty. There hasn't been much there anyway. It's on Google Drive and on the phone itself.

The only other possible solution is to take the sim out of the iPhone, be done with it there, put it back in my A3, load it and then try again and hope it would work. I'll pass.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire