WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm disappointed how Moto devices have done since Lenovo took them over. I loved the OG Moto X. I would've expected at least the Verizon Moto devices to do better, considering that those devices had been popular with Verizon customers in the past. Too bad Google didn't keep Moto.
Google wasn't ready to manage a hardware division like it was now, as it didn't want to offend its partners. I would have argued that if Google had kept Moto, they should have had 3 lines:

The $250 budget phone (Moto G on Android One)
The $400 mid ranger (Moto X4 on Android One)
The Pixel line with Pixel software

2 years OS and 3 years of patches for Android One and 3 years for the Pixel line for both.
Release hardware upgrades for the budget and mid rangers every 18 months and annually for the Pixel line as showcases for Android. So you keep the company lean because you can move units on the budget line, promote a good dev community on the mid ranger and make the Pixel line a bit more line iOS to discourage people rooting and such.

Removable battery on the budget model; SD card support on the Android One phones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Google wasn't ready to manage a hardware division like it was now, as it didn't want to offend its partners. I would have argued that if Google had kept Moto, they should have had 3 lines:

The $250 budget phone (Moto G on Android One)
The $400 mid ranger (Moto X4 on Android One)
The Pixel line with Pixel software

2 years OS and 3 years of patches for Android One and 3 years for the Pixel line for both.
Release hardware upgrades for the budget and mid rangers every 18 months and annually for the Pixel line as showcases for Android. So you keep the company lean because you can move units on the budget line, promote a good dev community on the mid ranger and make the Pixel line a bit more line iOS to discourage people rooting and such.

Removable battery on the budget model; SD card support on the Android One phones.
That model you described makes a lot of sense. I would have liked that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That model you described makes a lot of sense. I would have liked that.
The truth is, Moto has two hits right now: Moto G and Z Play. I'd argue the E series has gotten very good too. They've got nothing in the high end range.

I'd have tweaked the idea further and do this to Moto's current lineup:

1) $250 - 5" water resistant via removable backs (red, blue, white and black), 1080P LCD screen, good camera, high end SD 400 chip
3) $400 - 6.2 " 18.9 AMOLED screen, front speakers, back mounted FPS, SD 66x chip, one cam with very good EIS, water resistant - basically, put a bigger screen in the Z Play body
3) $650 - 5.7" 18.9 2K AMOLED screen, front speakers, dual camera (regular + monochrome), rear mounted FPS, OIS, SD 800 chip, water resistant (shoot for the Essential phone dimensions wise)

- put the old Moto logo back and place the FPS in the logo (if VZW had tramp stamps once of the Note phones, so can Moto)
- make the software Android One to give faster updates
- Only have the two apps - Moto display and the camera app as AOSP that you update often.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The truth is, Moto has two hits right now: Moto G and Z Play. I'd argue the E series has gotten very good too. They've got nothing in the high end range.

I'd have tweaked the idea further and do this to Moto's current lineup:

1) $250 - 5" water resistant via removable backs (red, blue, white and black), 1080P LCD screen, good camera, high end SD 400 chip
3) $400 - 6.2 " 18.9 AMOLED screen, front speakers, back mounted FPS, SD 66x chip, one cam with very good EIS, water resistant - basically, put a bigger screen in the Z Play body
3) $650 - 5.7" 18.9 2K AMOLED screen, front speakers, dual camera (regular + monochrome), rear mounted FPS, OIS, SD 800 chip, water resistant (shoot for the Essential phone dimensions wise)

- put the old Moto logo back and place the FPS in the logo (if VZW had tramp stamps once of the Note phones, so can Moto)
- make the software Android One to give faster updates
- Only have the two apps - Moto display and the camera app as AOSP that you update often.

You have great ideas here, including your original post. It sounds less cluttered than what they have going on right now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thank you! This was a special concert celebrating 30 years of music so we heard a lot of old and new songs.

OMG him or his team liked my post!! That's never happened before. I am flipping out!

First, the hand touch last time and then the liking of my post. Whoa, what's next?! Haha, I am half joking. I'm aware he is just a human but it's still very cool.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You have great ideas here, including your original post. It sounds less cluttered than what they have going on right now.
They've got 40 million variants, which was always the problem Moto and Nokia had.

Just pick 4 phones and stick with it...a basic, a budget, a big screen mid ranger and a flagship. Focus on value for money and fast updates in all 4.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

They've got 40 million variants, which was always the problem Moto and Nokia had.

Just pick 4 phones and stick with it...a basic, a budget, a big screen mid ranger and a flagship. Focus on value for money and fast updates in all 4.

That's true about the problem. I agree with you on that.

On that note, how well do you think Nokia/ HMD is doing when it comes to the multiple model thing? I recently heard something interesting that their cash cow is really from the feature phones and everything else is extra. That was surprising to me that this is the case still.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

On that note, how well do you think Nokia/ HMD is doing when it comes to the multiple model thing? I recently heard something interesting that their cash cow is really from the feature phones and everything else is extra. That was surprising to me that this is the case still.
Nokia was very well-known outside the USA. However, it was primarily known for feature phones on GSM carriers in the USA. I remember both AT&T and T-Mobile having a few Symbian devices, and I owned 2 of those AT&T models. However, nobody I knew had any idea what those devices were: my family and friends had BlackBerry and Palm devices at that time.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Nokia was very well-known outside the USA. However, it was primarily known for feature phones on GSM carriers in the USA. I remember both AT&T and T-Mobile having a few Symbian devices, and I owned 2 of those AT&T models. However, nobody I knew had any idea what those devices were: my family and friends had BlackBerry and Palm devices at that time.
Even at its height, Nokia was never able to fully break into the US market.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, Laura, I made corned beef today for the first time. It did come out more well done than I wanted, like a very tender brisket with the corned notes.

I just went for the boiled method...ran it for 4 hours though. I suppose if I wanted to have the typical look, I should have taken it off an hour earlier for the size of the cut. But, man, it's still tender.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, Laura, I made corned beef today for the first time. It did come out more well done than I wanted, like a very tender brisket with the corned notes.

I just went for the boiled method...ran it for 4 hours though. I suppose if I wanted to have the typical look, I should have taken it off an hour earlier for the size of the cut. But, man, it's still tender.
I didn't do the traditional dish, I went with coconut rice, black beans and mushrooms. Maybe next year I'll go traditional with the twist of going the basting route in the oven and adding in the potatoes, veggies and carrots for the final hour of the cook.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if this has a hand in why they decided not to release any of the top end Nokias in the US.
They did - Lumia 920, 820, 950, 1020, 1520...all of which were on AT&T. They never had their flagship available on all 5 (this includes big regional player US Cellular) simultaneously. Most of their dealings was with AT&T.

Before that, not really. Not every OEM has the relationship that Samsung and LG (and formerly HTC) has with the carriers here. Apple did it because they had an "it product" and negotiated their terms. It took Samsung a while before they could sell one variant of their flagship device unaltered across carriers (Galaxy S3).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They're doing OK. I see them trying to repeat the same mistakes as old Nokia, which doesn't surprise me as HMD is made up of old Nokia employees.

The mistake is not having a clean line-up and pushing to have a phone in very conceivable price point.

I'd have kept it at:

Entry level: Nokia 2/3 ($130)
Budget: Nokia 6 ($250)
Mid ranger: Nokia 7 ($400)
Flagship: Nokia 8 ($600)
High end variant: Sirocco ($750, every two years)

I like the move to Android One, though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I am done with my quiz (got a better grade than last time!) so it's Spring Break time for me! Not going to think about school or do anything related tomorrow. I'm going to take the time to catch up on the shows and videos I missed and books to be read. Also spring break at work too, thankfully so here's a breather.

I have some days off for work but the whole week off for school. Phew.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Back in the office. All of a sudden my mailbox has swelled by 400 emails. I got it down two weeks ago. Need to go clean it up again.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Libra, just a thought...

Start saving for your retirement from now. Do NOT rely on the trainwrecks that are Social Security and Medicare as your primary source of economic and medical assistance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo