WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well, like Libra, I guess I've got the new phone itch as well. Doesn't mean I'll buy anything, but I'm amusing myself reading through V30 and Nokia 8 reviews. I suppose I'd like to try them both and I like them both for different reasons.

I'll continue to keep reading. There's no money to buy either now, but it's a fun read.

Hey, whatever works, right?

It's funny how this works. I think if my A3 didn't have performance hiccups, maybe I would have less of an itch but that's just me. The SE was my safety net and I miss having one with a gripe that didn't affect me daily. lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So it was a pretty hectic but good day.
Replaced brake rotors and pads on one car (front ones) and the alternator on the second one. The brakes were straight forward and the alternator was an absolute PITA. But thanks to the help from my coworker friend I probably saved half the cost of a new top shelf smartphone.

Wow on the savings! I'm glad that everything worked out in terms of getting the necessary things done.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey, whatever works, right?

It's funny how this works. I think if my A3 didn't have performance hiccups, maybe I would have less of an itch but that's just me. The SE was my safety net and I miss having one with a gripe that didn't affect me daily. lol
I guess for me the loss of the 3.5mm jack (and the smaller internal storage models of the phones I have) is still hard to overcome.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I guess for me the loss of the 3.5mm jack (and the smaller internal storage models of the phones I have) is still hard to overcome.

That makes sense for you though since you have a lot of music and your music listening experience is important to you.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That makes sense for you though since you have a lot of music and your music listening experience is important to you.
It is. Music and camera are my top two, but it is hard to find the right combo of both. We will see what happens.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It is. Music and camera are my top two, but it is hard to find the right combo of both. We will see what happens.

True. Your frustration is very real. It's a shame that LG couldn't do it with the G7 for you. It seemed to be so close though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

True. Your frustration is very real. It's a shame that LG couldn't do it with the G7 for you. It seemed to be so close though.
It's adequate. I didn't care about the notch, really. The good thing is I am not crazy to buy anything right now. I can wait until the fall and then decide. The G7 could work, but I need to see it in store first.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're on the same page as I am on.
Exactly.

I've been a public transit commuter virtually my whole life - took my first transit trip to school solo at age 7. My uncle got me into music as a child: every once in a while I'd pull out one of his records. I owned a Walkman without and then with FM radio in high school, then to CD Walkman and Mini disc Walkman in college. Went from burning cassettes to CDs to Mini discs and making my own mixtapes. When I bought my Axim X50, I bought the biggest SD card I could afford...because I was putting music on it. I still love the HTC Touch HD for being a massive phone with massive storage. Every smartphone I've owned the I put my music files on as a part of the setup, no matter the platform.

I don't have high end music files. I use less EQ now than I did when I was younger. I just like my 3.5mm jack and my local storage of music. No Spotify or Pandora or other streaming services for me...I like to trade files.

Some people the camera is important. Me: audio. I like what HTC has done, even though they killed the 3.5mm. I like what LG still does with the jack.

Funny enough, the Honor 10 may have the best hardware mix of what I want. But Huawei doesn't update their stuff as they should. Audio on the Pixel is OK, but it nowhere near what I want. If LG were better with their software support (still better than Huawei to me), I'd have a V30 already or grab a G7. But I just don't feel I should spend top dollar to compromise features. So I'll wait.

Maybe I'll end the up will the V30 after all. This sums it up best for me.

https://youtu.be/sc-12BBATOI

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

For me camera is first priority - young kid and lots of travel.

Music is #2 simply because everyone in the house loves it. I have over time come to like my streaming options, especially when I am driving. I do like the audio jack but am slowly migrating over to the wireless headphones and BT in the car.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Exactly.

I've been a public transit commuter virtually my whole life - took my first transit trip to school solo at age 7. My uncle got me into music as a child: every once in a while I'd pull out one of his records. I owned a Walkman without and then with FM radio in high school, then to CD Walkman and Mini disc Walkman in college. Went from burning cassettes to CDs to Mini discs and making my own mixtapes. When I bought my Axim X50, I bought the biggest SD card I could afford...because I was putting music on it. I still love the HTC Touch HD for being a massive phone with massive storage. Every smartphone I've owned the I put my music files on as a part of the setup, no matter the platform.

I don't have high end music files. I use less EQ now than I did when I was younger. I just like my 3.5mm jack and my local storage of music. No Spotify or Pandora or other streaming services for me...I like to trade files.

Some people the camera is important. Me: audio. I like what HTC has done, even though they killed the 3.5mm. I like what LG still does with the jack.

Funny enough, the Honor 10 may have the best hardware mix of what I want. But Huawei doesn't update their stuff as they should. Audio on the Pixel is OK, but it nowhere near what I want. If LG were better with their software support (still better than Huawei to me), I'd have a V30 already or grab a G7. But I just don't feel I should spend top dollar to compromise features. So I'll wait.

Maybe I'll end the up will the V30 after all. This sums it up best for me.

https://youtu.be/sc-12BBATOI
Most of my music is FLAC ripped and burned from CDs, so a high quality DAC is essential to me. Additionally, I have high impedance headphones, so I need a DAC that is able to drive my headphones.

I got into photography years ago with an all manual Canon F1 SLR and various lenses and filters, and I was a member of a local Cleveland photography group, so I also appreciate phone cameras that have excellent manual controls. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F-1?wprov=sfla1

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Most of my music is FLAC ripped and burned from CDs, so a high quality DAC is essential to me. Additionally, I have high impedance headphones, so I need a DAC that is able to drive my headphones.

I got into photography years ago with an all manual Canon F1 SLR and various lenses and filters, and I was a member of a local Cleveland photography group, so I also appreciate phone cameras that have excellent manual controls. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F-1?wprov=sfla1
It's just interesting the reasons behind why people prioritize the things that they find important. I don't blame 99 for his reasoning - that's pretty common. Don't blame you for yours either. I've seen variants on mine as well, especially in countries where the commute is long, the internet is still so-so and battery life is essential.

My problem is that I can list too many "close devices". Don't think I'm asking for much, but I think I'm in that minority demographic that doesn't move units for OEMs.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's been interesting to read MIA's, 99's and Laura's important things in a phone. I had an idea of MIA's and Laura's but knowing more of what's behind that is really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Late to the party but my important things probably aren't surprising considering what I go on and on about.

For me, battery life and size are tied for me. Small phones are always my preference. I try anything that isn't small and I can't deal. There are phones with good battery life but they are usually massive (to me anyway).

I'm fine with solid point and shoot cameras, especially if they are also good to go in low light/night settings.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's adequate. I didn't care about the notch, really. The good thing is I am not crazy to buy anything right now. I can wait until the fall and then decide. The G7 could work, but I need to see it in store first.

That is a good thing, since that makes you less likely to drop money for stuff not quite there. Since you can wait, it could be interesting to how the price goes with the G7, but really the V30.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Got my final grades in for this past semester and I did great! Got a 87% for my final paper that was a pain to complete, so that made the A happen. For my technical class, I finally got my grades for the presentation (95%) and paper (92%) and that held my A steady! \o/

A minuses for both but still an A. So glad!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Got my final grades in for this past semester and I did great! Got a 87% for my final paper that was a pain to complete, so that made the A happen. For my technical class, I finally got my grades for the presentation (95%) and paper (92%) and that held my A steady! \o/

A minuses for both but still an A. So glad!
Congratulations!

(Told you so)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs