WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

OK for those not used to imperial measurements?

I always get sad when I see imperial measurements used. Makes me wonder how we can't even agree on a measurement system how can we agree on anything else? Don't get me started on electrical systems world wide, that's even more depressing...

I expect the UK will completely convert back to imperial after they leave the EU. Was their system to begin with anyway... Hence the name. Their current system is a mess between the two which makes no sense at all. Even worse it's got even older measurements for weight.

Sigh...
You should've been in the US back in the 70s when they tried to ram the metric system down our throats. That was fun.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You should've been in the US back in the 70s when they tried to ram the metric system down our throats. That was fun.
Well, for at least one section of the US industry metric stuck - drug trafficking/narcotics.

When was the last time you heard anyone talk about a pound of cocaine when discussing narcotics?

You may interchange for marijuana, but every other narcotic is described in metric.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Well, for at least one section of the US industry metric stuck - drug trafficking/narcotics.

When was the last time you heard anyone talk about a pound of cocaine when discussing narcotics?

You may interchange for marijuana, but every other narcotic is described in metric.
Maybe because that's true of drugs in general, including the legal ones. I think the last time dosage of aspirin was described in anything other than metric (mg) was when the units were "grains".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I thought grass was measured in monetary units like quarters, dimes & nickels.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe because that's true of drugs in general, including the legal ones. I think the last time dosage of aspirin was described in anything other than metric (mg) was when the units were "grains".
Still, the metric system took hold. That's ultimately the point there.

Americans can be a very funny lot indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So was I.
Grass is always weird though, as historically they didn't use the metric to describe the amount being purchased as with other narcotics. It ties back into the other point where grass is one of the few that they interchange the metric and imperial so much. So a dime is a certain weight that here would be described in oz/other places in grams.

It sounded cleaner and easier to disguise when asking for a $ mount of grass than to use weights as a dead giveaway, I'd suspect...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's a bit harsh sounding.

I was in school in the 70s when the metric system was being adopted by Canada. It wasn't rammed down our throats, it's called learning. Even today most shops still have both measuring systems.

However, in a lot of places that used to be traditionally imperial, namely the trades, even they are now metric.

The only reason the imperial system is sticking around is because of the older generation and being next to the USA.

I believe most if not all sciences in the US have adopted the metric system as well.

Not sure about industrial/material design but I'd hate to do that in imperial.

The imperial system makes little sense and is cumbersome to use. Has been for a very long time. However most people don't think about it because that's what they're used to.

The metric system is based on real world measurements on a base 10 number system. It simply makes sense and is logical. But of course the US has never been one to adopt things because they make sense.

Like health care for all, as an example....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So did you get to try the restaurant that Fatclue recommended, after all? I'm probably asking too early but we are all curious to know.

Or maybe just me...
I most definitely visited Last Carreta in Miami airport.
65878993dd484065e3e10a9eb27355c5.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That's a bit harsh sounding.

I was in school in the 70s when the metric system was being adopted by Canada. It wasn't rammed down our throats, it's called learning. Even today most shops still have both measuring systems.

However, in a lot of places that used to be traditionally imperial, namely the trades, even they are now metric.

The only reason the imperial system is sticking around is because of the older generation and being next to the USA.

I believe most if not all sciences in the US have adopted the metric system as well.

Not sure about industrial/material design but I'd hate to do that in imperial.

The imperial system makes little sense and is cumbersome to use. Has been for a very long time. However most people don't think about it because that's what they're used to.

The metric system is based on real world measurements on a base 10 number system. It simply makes sense and is logical. But of course the US has never been one to adopt things because they make sense.

Like health care for all, as an example....

It was rammed alright. What happened was that gas pumps had no capability of reading prices higher than 99-9/10 cents/gallon and gas rose over $1. The quick fix was to sell gas by the liter and that's when all hell broke loose. With rising gas came the glut of imported econoboxes which were all metric as far as nuts and bolts. Mechanics at the time (myself included) were raising a stink because we had to sell our souls to the Snap-On truck to buy a whole new set of wrenches and sockets. Moms didn't know how to buy milk, the lines at the butcher shop were infuriating and even city utilities were billing water in liters.

It was a mess Rue, believe me. Some of us adopted the system easily and actually found it easier to work with but the older generation wasn't prepared. At all!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It was rammed alright. What happened was that gas pumps had no capability of reading prices higher than 99-9/10 cents/gallon and gas rose over $1. The quick fix was to sell gas by the liter and that's when all hell broke loose. With rising gas came the glut of imported econoboxes which were all metric as far as nuts and bolts. Mechanics at the time (myself included) were raising a stink because we had to sell our souls to the Snap-On truck to buy a whole new set of wrenches and sockets. Moms didn't know how to buy milk, the lines at the butcher shop were infuriating and even city utilities were billing water in liters.

It was a mess Rue, believe me. Some of us adopted the system easily and actually found it easier to work with but the older generation wasn't prepared. At all!
It's funny that milk is still sold in Imperial units, but everyone adapted to soda sold in metric units. The 2L bottle of soda is ubiquitous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb