WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

99, what do YOU think about these phone prices? Am I the only one here shouting in futility on a soapbox in the din of NYC rush hour noise about how outrageous pricing has gotten?
The prices are ridiculously crazy.
I am waiting for Nokia to get the OG Pixel camera output in their 7 series and then it's game over for these crazy $700+ devices from Apple, Samsung, LG and Google.

I have decided that I am NOT buying a new device at retail from a carrier or phone company anymore. This is asinine.

Sooner than later someone will figure out the Android equivalent of a Lumia 520 or 640.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So...I'm catching up on the Pixel 3 news (Laura be kind, don't ban me too badly)...

WTF? $800 for the base 64GB Pixel and $900 for either the 128GB Pixel or the 64GB Pixel XL?

https://youtu.be/vyRSV9eqTUY

These OEMs a ****ting the bed here with these prices! Seriously!? So either I cough up $900 for a V40 or Pixel 3, HTC U12+ or Asus ROG, $1000 for a Note 9 or $1300 for iPhone XS Max?

You know who's getting the no Vaseline treatment twice? The people who buy any of these with cash up front and cannot return them during the window and have to sell them on the second hand market.

I mean, I was calling myself an *** for fantasizing over a Mate 10 Pro Porsche design, but this is asinine.
I won't ban you. These prices are all ridiculous, and I'm not buying any of those devices either.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

99, what do YOU think about these phone prices? Am I the only one here shouting in futility on a soapbox in the din of NYC rush hour noise about how outrageous pricing has gotten?
I've never bought a new phone when it first was released as I refuse to pay top dollar.

The recent trend in prices for 'flagships' is getting out of hand. I can appreciate that maybe margins on phones are thin but this seems like a joke. The newer phones don't have anything really special to make them worth these prices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I've never bought a new phone when it first was released as I refuse to pay top dollar.

The recent trend in prices for 'flagships' is getting out of hand. I can appreciate that maybe margins on phones are thin but this seems like a joke. The newer phones don't have anything really special to make them worth these prices.

A certain someone in my life feels the same as you. I haven't heard the concept of waiting for a while but it makes sense.

I was saying to someone else that the base Pixel 3 is still cheaper than the XS base but with the point you raise, even if it is, it's still high.

The flip side for me is that I'll really have to take the time to wait to try it because of the price.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

One reason I brought up the Lumia 520 and 640 was that their hardware wasn't top shelf but the camera punched way above it's weight class. Also not everyone purchases a smartphone to play these extremely sophisticated video games and for those people mid range hardware is just fine but a lot of people want to take pictures because that is the only camera on hand at most times. So as long as the phone works for most apps, browsing, calling, texting and pictures with decent battery life, it will be a hit.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

One reason I brought up the Lumia 520 and 640 was that their hardware wasn't top shelf but the camera punched way above it's weight class. Also not everyone purchases a smartphone to play these extremely sophisticated video games and for those people mid range hardware is just fine but a lot of people want to take pictures because that is the only camera on hand at most times. So as long as the phone works for most apps, browsing, calling, texting and pictures with decent battery life, it will be a hit.
Sadly, Android has tried but outside of the Redmi series, no one has come close.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I sort of agree.

I remember a lot of 520 users wanting to do everything that a 920 could do. Which is a bit unrealistic.

The problem you have with Android is that it's not the most optimized OS and anyone on low-end hardware will still want the same or similar experience as someone using a flagship, which is of course unrealistic but that's part of the reality and mindset of people who buy low-end.

Then of course there's the OS upgrade issue...

Not sure why things are still like this but here we are....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I sort of agree.

I remember a lot of 520 users wanting to do everything that a 920 could do. Which is a bit unrealistic.

The problem you have with Android is that it's not the most optimized OS and anyone on low-end hardware will still want the same or similar experience as someone using a flagship, which is of course unrealistic but that's part of the reality and mindset of people who buy low-end.

Then of course there's the OS upgrade issue...

Not sure why things are still like this but here we are....

I think though times have changed a bit. Most people buying cheaper devices understand they are not getting the flagship experience. I believe even folks buying older iPhones (5S, 6 etc) understand this.

The reason I specifically cited Nokia is because they have jumped on the Android One bandwagon. So they should not have as much OS update/fragmentation issues as say Samsung or LG who refuse to let go of their skins.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sadly, Android has tried but outside of the Redmi series, no one has come close.

Actually Xiaomi is one maker that makes devices that are really nice in terms of performance/price ratio. Pocophone F1 is probably the best example. Hopefully I will have a mini review in a few weeks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I think though times have changed a bit. Most people buying cheaper devices understand they are not getting the flagship experience. I believe even folks buying older iPhones (5S, 6 etc) understand this.

The reason I specifically cited Nokia is because they have jumped on the Android One bandwagon. So they should not have as much OS update/fragmentation issues as say Samsung or LG who refuse to let go of their skins.

Not to let Samsung or LG off the hook but I don't think skins are that much of an issue. Motorola runs as close to stock as anybody, they only have 3 models at any one time and suuuuuck at updates. Get a load of this, the Z3 Play was released this August and is still stuck with the May security update. BlackBerry is the best non-Google OEM at security updates but the KeyONE was the first to ever get an OS version update.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not to let Samsung or LG off the hook but I don't think skins are that much of an issue. Motorola runs as close to stock as anybody, they only have 3 models at any one time and suuuuuck at updates. Get a load of this, the Z3 Play was released this August and is still stuck with the May security update. BlackBerry is the best non-Google OEM at security updates but the KeyONE was the first to ever get an OS version update.
Sony is very close to stock as well. They're ok with their security updates but I'm still on 8 at the moment.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I haven't looked into the Android One thing... I'm a bit out of touch there... Sigh

I'm thinking more and more about a Nokia device as my next phone but I'm still waiting for a reason to get one.

Nokia (HMD) is doing the mid/low end thing currently and making what I feel is way too many varieties again.

Once they get their act together with a high spec phone and a camera worthy of the Nokia name I'll buy it.

For now I'll stick to my current device. No need to update currently.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Yeah Moto is close to stock but ever since Lenovo took them over they've gone the route of other Chinese Android manufacturers - Stock or not.

I think that is why the Android One program makes more sense from a software/security patch update viewpoint.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I haven't looked into the Android One thing... I'm a bit out of touch there... Sigh

I'm thinking more and more about a Nokia device as my next phone but I'm still waiting for a reason to get one.

Nokia (HMD) is doing the mid/low end thing currently and making what I feel is way too many varieties again.

Once they get their act together with a high spec phone and a camera worthy of the Nokia name I'll buy it.

For now I'll stick to my current device. No need to update currently.

There will be a flood of devices getting updated to Android Pie here in the next 4-6 months. I am sure Sony will be one of the earlier ones to update their devices. They have done a reasonably decent job unlike Moto.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Actually Xiaomi is one maker that makes devices that are really nice in terms of performance/price ratio. Pocophone F1 is probably the best example. Hopefully I will have a mini review in a few weeks.
Thanks for clarifying to the lurkers that Xiaomi makes the Redmi series. Which in and of itself has come a very, very long way.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying to the lurkers that Xiaomi makes the Redmi series. Which in and of itself has come a very, very long way.
Redmi is low end. I have had some laggards in the Redmi series. Never had an issue in the regular Mi series devices.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Redmi is low end. I have had some laggards in the Redmi series. Never had an issue in the regular Mi series devices.
Now, we both know the Mi series was always their vanguard.

Redmi = Lumia 520

Maybe you can make the case that

Moto = Lumia 640

But not as easily. You really cannot really compare the full Mi line to the 640 ( maybe the mid range Mi devices like the Mi Max line)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No notch and full screen!
3f2b8ae2fd8efb23a3fa30e1fd4fe99e.jpg
9c6460fd7ffa89d41a1578ea03f2935d.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)